Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What We Need To Do
PLEASE FORGIVE THE LENGTH OF THIS POST

We appear to have won the lottery. After watching the National Championship Game and the more I read from people more knowlegeable than me, this guy’s the real deal. He has all the necessary physical tools and ALL the intangibles to be the next great QB in the NFL.

But we have some work to do:

First We need to not do to Burrow what Indy did to Luck. We need to protect him. To that end we need to use free agency to pick up two top notch offensive linemen. Hart played pretty well the last half of the season, but we could use a stud at right tackle. Miller did a passable job at right guard, but we need sure things in the interior. Hopefully Williams turns out to be who we drafted him to be at left tackle. I was dreaming of Whit coming in at left guard for the rest of his career, but that’s not happening, so we either sign a better left guard than what we have or draft one high. Hopefully Jordan pans out in the end.

Second We need not to fool around; we need to sign Green. The only way I can think of doing that is giving Green a contract that has a reasonable floor for him, but protects the Bengals from another injury deleted season, while giving him a contract ceiling that treats him with the other elite receivers – all based on his ability to stay on the field.

Third - We need a bona fide vertical threat opposite Green besides Ross. Ross continues to have potential but is unreliable. Constantly injured; slows up on or runs the wrong routes; drops too many catchable balls. Burrow managed the pocket and made things happen on the run, but his receivers were – for the most part – very reliable. And they got open. Personally I like Jalen Reagor. He appears to be raw, does have some concentration drops, but plays like his pants are on fire and just presents as much more aggressive than Ross.

FourthWe need to go out and get another defensive playmaker. Linebacker would be nice (I like the guy from the Rams) but someone that increases the odds that Burrow has the necessary opportunities to ply his craft. That’s what LSU was able to do in the championship game. And with the needed opportunities Burrow pulled himself up out of a mid game slump and defeated a world class defense.

Fifth We need to deal Andy. Do NOT make the mistake of not committing to Burrow and screwing Andy over. Deal him before free agency so we have the currency to get what we need and Andy the chance to succeed somewhere else. What we get for him is less important than freeing the money and putting a team together.

Taylor has expressed confidence we will do what it takes (https://www.bengals.com/news/taylor-made-takes-however-we-can-improve-this-team-we-want-to-go-out-there-and-do-it ). The front office needs to not let him down.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
This involves a plan. Which I'm not sure there is one.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Great thread 3wt, perfect length of a post BTW. Cannot really argue with anything. Maybe bringing back AJ who has just
been injured lately. Maybe bringing in Amari Cooper if AJ is not willing to take an extension that takes into consideration
his injury history. Everybody hates on Ross rightfully so but Ross contributed more last season than AJ did.

Get someone like Conklin in FA along with Amari Cooper and Jamie Collins at LB and I think this would be a great start.

Keep watching stuff on Burrow and I just keep getting more and more excited. Perfect QB to help Taylor make the leap.

Taylor is still young, he can learn new tricks. Lot to learn from from last year though. Still excited about the future. ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2020, 04:05 PM)3wt Wrote: PLEASE FORGIVE THE LENGTH OF THIS POST

We appear to have won the lottery.  After watching the National Championship Game and the  more I read from people more knowlegeable than me, this guy’s the real deal.   He has all the necessary physical tools and ALL the intangibles to be the next great QB in the NFL.

First We need to not do to Burrow what Indy did to Luck.   We need to protect him.   To that end we need to use free agency to pick up two top notch offensive linemen.   Hart played pretty well the last half of the season, but we could use a stud at right tackle.    Miller did a passable job at right guard, but we need sure things in the interior.    Hopefully Williams turns out to be who we drafted him to be at left tackle.   I was dreaming of Whit coming in at left guard for the rest of his career, but that’s not happening, so we either sign a better left guard than what we have or draft one high.   Hopefully Jordan pans out in the end.

Second We need not to fool around; we need to sign Green.  The only way I can think of doing that is giving Green a contract that has a reasonable floor for him, but protects the Bengals from another injury deleted season, while giving him a contract ceiling that treats him with the other elite receivers – all based on his ability to stay on the field.

Third - We need a bona fide vertical threat opposite Green besides Ross.   Ross continues to have potential but is unreliable.  Constantly injured; slows up on or runs the wrong routes; drops too many catchable balls.  Burrow managed the pocket and made things happen on the run, but his receivers were – for the most part – very reliable.  And they got open.   Personally I like Jalen Reagor.   He appears to be raw, does have some concentration drops, but plays like his pants are on fire and just presents as much more aggressive than Ross.

FourthWe need to go out and get another defensive playmaker.   Linebacker would be nice (I like the guy from the Rams) but someone that increases the odds that Burrow has the necessary opportunities to ply his craft.  That’s what LSU was able to do in the championship game.   And with the needed opportunities Burrow pulled himself up out of a mid game slump and defeated a world class defense.

Fifth We need to deal Andy.   Do NOT make the mistake of not committing to Burrow and screwing Andy over.   Deal him before free agency so we have the currency to get what we need and Andy the chance to succeed somewhere else.  What we get for him is less important than freeing the money and putting a team together.

Taylor has expressed confidence we will do what it takes (https://www.bengals.com/news/taylor-made-takes-however-we-can-improve-this-team-we-want-to-go-out-there-and-do-it ).   The front office needs to not let him down.

I agree with the list, but adding a pass catching TE to replace Eifert is needed.  If the new OC decides to make Giovanni and Mixon be regular pass catching threats Burrow gets the short game he'll need to survive during the season.  To me building a great Oline is the overriding priority this season.  
Reply/Quote
When they draft burrow, he starts from day 1

Andy Dalton is a loser. Having him mentor or groom burrow would be like having the 40 Year Old Virgin hang around and train Ron Jeremy how to plow.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2020, 04:43 PM)bengals1969 Wrote: I agree with the list, but adding a pass catching TE to replace Eifert is needed.  If the new OC decides to make Giovanni and Mixon be regular pass catching threats Burrow gets the short game he'll need to survive during the season.  To me building a great Oline is the overriding priority this season.  

I asked another poster this but who are the TE's that will be available in FA?
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2020, 04:51 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I asked another poster this but who are the TE's that will be available in FA?

I found these names in a quick check on the Internet. Not sure how accurate this is but I think these guys may be available.

Eric Ebron

Hunter Henry

Austin Hooper

Vance McDonald

Vernon Davis
Reply/Quote

We appear to have won the lottery.  After watching the National Championship Game and the  more I read from people more knowlegeable than me, this guy’s the real deal.   He has all the necessary physical tools and ALL the intangibles to be the next great QB in the NFL.

First We need to not do to Burrow what Indy did to Luck.   We need to protect him.   To that end we need to use free agency to pick up two top notch offensive linemen.   Hart played pretty well the last half of the season, but we could use a stud at right tackle.    Miller did a passable job at right guard, but we need sure things in the interior.    Hopefully Williams turns out to be who we drafted him to be at left tackle.   I was dreaming of Whit coming in at left guard for the rest of his career, but that’s not happening, so we either sign a better left guard than what we have or draft one high.   Hopefully Jordan pans out in the end.

Second We need not to fool around; we need to sign Green.  The only way I can think of doing that is giving Green a contract that has a reasonable floor for him, but protects the Bengals from another injury deleted season, while giving him a contract ceiling that treats him with the other elite receivers – all based on his ability to stay on the field.

Third - We need a bona fide vertical threat opposite Green besides Ross.   Ross continues to have potential but is unreliable.  Constantly injured; slows up on or runs the wrong routes; drops too many catchable balls.  Burrow managed the pocket and made things happen on the run, but his receivers were – for the most part – very reliable.  And they got open.   Personally I like Jalen Reagor.   He appears to be raw, does have some concentration drops, but plays like his pants are on fire and just presents as much more aggressive than Ross.

FourthWe need to go out and get another defensive playmaker.   Linebacker would be nice (I like the guy from the Rams) but someone that increases the odds that Burrow has the necessary opportunities to ply his craft.  That’s what LSU was able to do in the championship game.   And with the needed opportunities Burrow pulled himself up out of a mid game slump and defeated a world class defense.

Fifth We need to deal Andy.   Do NOT make the mistake of not committing to Burrow and screwing Andy over.   Deal him before free agency so we have the currency to get what we need and Andy the chance to succeed somewhere else.  What we get for him is less important than freeing the money and putting a team together.

Taylor has expressed confidence we will do what it takes (https://www.bengals.com/news/taylor-made-takes-however-we-can-improve-this-team-we-want-to-go-out-there-and-do-it ).   The front office needs to not let him down.

Dead on, my friend, dead on....How about a FA safety as a playmaker to replace Williams?  
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2020, 04:46 PM)Aland Wrote: When they draft burrow, he starts from day 1

Andy Dalton is a loser.  Having him mentor or groom burrow would be like having the 40 Year Old Virgin hang around and train Ron Jeremy how to plow.

I don't think we keep Dalton, but it's a common misconception that elite performers make better mentors/trainers when it's really average performers that are best suited for it. 
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2020, 04:51 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I asked another poster this but who are the TE's that will be available in FA?

WhoDey2 I found an article that said Kyle Rudolph may be dealt or cut as a salary cap casualty. Home town boy... 
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2020, 05:20 PM)JSR18 Wrote: WhoDey2 I found an article that said Kyle Rudolph may be dealt or cut as a salary cap casualty. Home town boy... 

I'd rather bring back Eifert Wink
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote

I agree, but would add use the AD money to go after a great FA guard. If we get rid of Glenn, then add a stud TE as well who blocks as well as catches passes
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2020, 04:46 PM)Aland Wrote: Andy Dalton is a loser.  

With a winning record but don't let facts get in your way. Already losing credibility and it's only your first post.

Reply/Quote

https://nfltraderumors.co/2020-nfl-free-agent-list/

with some more likely available via trade... And post draft cuts. Salary cuts coming.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2020, 05:36 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I'd rather bring back Eifert Wink

WhoDey2 Really?? Why?? Rudolph can be more productive just by being on the field more than our 3rd down glass TE. IMHO, of course... 
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2020, 06:07 PM)jj22 Wrote: With a winning record but don't let facts get in your way. Already losing credibility and it's only your first post.

18 and 35 as a starter over the last 4 years

Below average in league QB Rating in 6 of his 9 years In the nfl

Loser
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2020, 04:28 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Great thread 3wt, perfect length of a post BTW. Cannot really argue with anything. Maybe bringing back AJ who has just
been injured lately. Maybe bringing in Amari Cooper if AJ is not willing to take an extension that takes into consideration
his injury history. Everybody hates on Ross rightfully so but Ross contributed more last season than AJ did.

Get someone like Conklin in FA along with Amari Cooper and Jamie Collins at LB and I think this would be a great start.

Keep watching stuff on Burrow and I just keep getting more and more excited. Perfect QB to help Taylor make the leap.

Taylor is still young, he can learn new tricks. Lot to learn from from last year though. Still excited about the future. ThumbsUp

Cooper has averaged over 1000 yards and 6 TDs every season, has only missed 3 games in 5 years, and is only 25 years old.
I can't imagine someone actually wanting AJ Green in his current state over Amari Cooper.

I would honestly say the Bengals should pursue Cooper first and look to re-sign Green if Cooper doesn't work out.
And if the Bengals miss out on both Green and Cooper, so be it. Draft a WR in Rd 2 or 3. This is a fantastic class for WR.

Getting Conklin would be great, but with the success TN has had, that's just continuing to put the spotlight on Conklin and going to drive his price up.

Cory Littleton is by top FA target.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2020, 06:24 PM)Aland Wrote: 18 and 35 as a starter over the last 4 years

Below average in league QB Rating in 6 of his 9 years In the nfl

Loser

People judge winners and losers by their career in full. You picking a couple losing seasons to paint a broad brush doesn't change his career record.

Which is a winning one.....

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2020, 06:30 PM)jj22 Wrote: People judge winners and losers by their career in full. You picking a couple losing seasons to paint a broad brush doesn't change his career record.

Which is a winning one.....

66% of Daltons seasons, he’s been well below league average.

Focus on his production opposed to a team dependent stat like w and Ls.

He’s a loser
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2020, 06:24 PM)Aland Wrote: Below average in league QB Rating in 6 of his 9 years In the nfl

Not true.  He was above the league average four times. ('12, '13, '15, '16)

He also has a career winning record and made the playoffs a majority of his seasons as a starter.

Definitely not a "loser".
Reply/Quote