Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Smoke Screen?
Anyone read Hobsons interview with Zac Taylor. All his comments about Burrow made it sound like hes not as enthusiastic as everyone else about Burrow,including what VanPelt and Callahan had to say. Think this is just a smoke screen or is this idiot really gonna consider taking Herbert or someone else. Surely Mikey And the rest of the front office wouldnt allow that. Gonna be a long few months
Reply/Quote
Can't talk about it/tampering/whatever.

It's why the thing about his father came out, "he said he's happy."

If he comes out and says whatever himself, could be tampering or whatever.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2020, 04:27 PM)uticabengalfan Wrote: Anyone read Hobsons interview with Zac Taylor. All his comments about Burrow made it sound like hes not as enthusiastic as everyone else about Burrow,including what VanPelt and Callahan had to say. Think this is just a smoke screen or is this idiot really gonna consider taking Herbert or someone else. Surely Mikey And the rest of the front office wouldnt allow that. Gonna be a long few months

Can't say I got the same vibe as you after reading the interview.  ZT said he was very impressed with Burrow.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2020, 04:27 PM)uticabengalfan Wrote: Anyone read Hobsons interview with Zac Taylor. All his comments about Burrow made it sound like hes not as enthusiastic as everyone else about Burrow,including what VanPelt and Callahan had to say. Think this is just a smoke screen or is this idiot really gonna consider taking Herbert or someone else. Surely Mikey And the rest of the front office wouldnt allow that. Gonna be a long few months

What was the worst thing he said about Burrow in the interview?
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2020, 04:49 PM)bengals1969 Wrote: Can't say I got the same vibe as you after reading the interview.  ZT said he was very impressed with Burrow.

As is everyone. Burrow will be the pick. Need to just hand in the card now and start looking at FA's that will be available.

Need to upgrade the O-line, Linebackers and add a few weapons to help Burrow out and things will be really looking up.
Reply/Quote
We have the #1 pick, no reason to smoke screen anyone. That said, they have to do their due diligence... a lot can happen between now and draft day. If they flat out said they made their decision and didn't look at anyone else, imagine the outcry if Burrow didn't work out as planned.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2020, 04:47 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Can't talk about it/tampering/whatever.

It also hurts the trade market for Dalton if they seem overly eager to draft his replacement.
Reply/Quote
Taylor also said he felt really good where the OL was headed and that Jonah essentially gives them two 1st round picks this year.
The conversion to complacency has already begun.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2020, 05:02 PM)Sled21 Wrote: We have the #1 pick, no reason to smoke screen anyone. That said, they have to do their due diligence... a lot can happen between now and draft day. If they flat out said they made their decision and didn't look at anyone else, imagine the outcry if Burrow didn't work out as planned.

This.

I doubt it will happen with Burrow, but draft grades sometimes change dramatically between the end of the college season and the draft.

At this time in '09 Andre Smith was the first pick of the draft, and in '14 Teddy Bridgewater was a top 5 pick (he went #32).
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2020, 05:02 PM)Sled21 Wrote: We have the #1 pick, no reason to smoke screen anyone. That said, they have to do their due diligence... a lot can happen between now and draft day. If they flat out said they made their decision and didn't look at anyone else, imagine the outcry if Burrow didn't work out as planned.

Of course do your due diligence.

If a team offers us their 1st 4 picks in the next  3 drafts for our #1 you consider it (point being something so crazy you have to take it)

But, I think Burrow is the pick. I hope they get value for AD so we can shore up some young talent for 2020 and the future. I hope we take the 17.7 million from Dalton salary dump to sign an all pro guard and go after a stud TE.

I hope we use our existing cap to sign AJ to a 3 year team friendly deal.

We will have a team friendly cap at the QB position for 4 years, we need to take advantage of it and use the cap money wisely/
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote

A smoke screen for what? We can have any of the 200 something guys in this draft at pick#1 and not a damn thing any other team can do about it
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2020, 05:22 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Taylor also said he felt really good where the OL was headed and that Jonah essentially gives them two 1st round picks this year.

His post season meeting with MB set the tone. ZT trying to set expectations.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2020, 04:47 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Can't talk about it/tampering/whatever.

What the hell are you talking about?

Tampering has to do with interfering with another franchises player.

Tampering has absolutely nothing to do with the ability to comment on a draft pick. You can call it many things; not tipping your hand, keeping your cards close to your vest, etc. But tampering, no.

As far as the OP, I read it and didn't catch any negatives from. It was a bunch of non-answers and coach-speak.  Don't worry, barring the most ridiculous trade offer ever seen, we're drafting the kid.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2020, 05:33 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This.

I doubt it will happen with Burrow, but draft grades sometimes change dramatically between the end of the college season and the draft.

At this time in '09 Andre Smith was the first pick of the draft, and in '14 Teddy Bridgewater was a top 5 pick (he went #32).

there will definiately be some people that shot up the boards after the combine..      But i dont think burrow drops.  (maybe as best overall player in the draft) but not as top QB prospect.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2020, 07:06 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: there will definiately be some people that shot up the boards after the combine..      But i dont think burrow drops.  (maybe as best overall player in the draft) but not as top QB prospect.

Yeah, I don't see it happening with Burrow, but teams are still going to take all the steps to evaluate Burrow that they do with every other QB.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2020, 07:10 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Yeah, I don't see it happening with Burrow, but teams are still going to take all the steps to evaluate Burrow that they do with every other QB.

right like the top 10 teams will all probly work burrow out...  Cause you never know...   
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2020, 04:56 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: As is everyone. Burrow will be the pick. Need to just hand in the card now and start looking at FA's that will be available.

Need to upgrade the O-line, Linebackers and add a few weapons to help Burrow out and things will be really looking up.

No need to jump the gun.

Still plenty of medical / psyche eval types of stuff to do on him, plus the fact that life has a way of throwing curve balls.  What if we try to make it official now, then ol' Joe slips in the frozen food section and manages to slice up a bunch of ligaments and nerve endings when crashing through the freezer door and prohibiting a pro football career?  We're out the first overall pick with nothing to show for it.
Reply/Quote

Yup.

Burrow could do or have happen any number of negative things between now and draft day. And there's a slew of people who would love to dig up any dirt to see his stock drop (or their's rise).

(01-17-2020, 05:22 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Taylor also said he felt really good where the OL was headed and that Jonah essentially gives them two 1st round picks this year.

Well.... it does.

Hopefully Jonah is worth the spot.

And I know I'm in the minority, but our OL was improving. Add in Jonah, maybe a free agent and give them the offseason, I think we're in good shape there.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2020, 03:11 AM)Benton Wrote: Yup.

Burrow could do or have happen any number of negative things between now and draft day. And there's a slew of people who would love to dig up any dirt to see his stock drop (or their's rise).

Well.... it does.

Hopefully Jonah is worth the spot.

And I know I'm in the minority, but our OL was improving. Add in Jonah, maybe a free agent and give them the offseason, I think we're in good shape there.

I have full faith in Jonah, and yes the line improved somewhat, but anyone who thinks Bobby Hart and John Miller are magically going to turn into really good starters is way too optimistic. The Bengals need another Pro Bowl caliber on the OL aside from potentially Jonah.
Their LG is obviously the worst on the team right now though, so that needs to be the priority, but Hart and/or Miller need replaced too.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-18-2020, 12:13 AM)jfkbengals Wrote: No need to jump the gun.

Still plenty of medical / psyche eval types of stuff to do on him, plus the fact that life has a way of throwing curve balls.  What if we try to make it official now, then ol' Joe slips in the frozen food section and manages to slice up a bunch of ligaments and nerve endings when crashing through the freezer door and prohibiting a pro football career?  We're out the first overall pick with nothing to show for it.

You're just a regular Bob Ross with words.  That is some pretty sharp imagery that you've got going there.   LOL

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote