Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AJ - 'franchise tag is not the best thing'
It sounds like AJ views being tagged as a certain amount of disrespect, but he also acknowledges it's a tough decision for the team. 

I can't blame AJ for feeling that way as I'm sure all players do to an extent when they get tagged. I also can't blame the Bengals if they're hesitant and cautious when considering any investment in AJ moving forward. 

Reply/Quote
He sure is a great guy. Wish he could stay healthy and help us win a ring here. I just don't know if AJ can considering
his injuries of late. I can completely understand why the team would put the Franchise tag on him cause of this.

If AJ really wants to stay here for a 3 year extension he will HAVE to take into consideration his injury history as of
late. The deal would have to include incentives.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2020, 04:02 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: It sounds like AJ views being tagged as a certain amount of disrespect, but he also acknowledges it's a tough decision for the team. 

I can't blame AJ for feeling that way as I'm sure all players do to an extent when they tagged. I also can't blame the Bengals if they're hesitant and cautious when considering any investment in AJ moving forward. 

Trying to work up sympathy for a guy to get paid 18 milliion for a year to play in 16 football games.

Hold on....its coming... I can feel it now.....

Wait, nope nothing.

Yeah it speaks volumes, AJ. It says your 31 and haven't played in a year and a half.
Reply/Quote
Disrespect? PLEASE.

He's been paid to spectate for the better part of the last 2 seasons including ALL of last year. Now I know it's not his fault, but please.

18-20 million for a year is fine, and he should consider himself extremely fortunate.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Her earlier tweet seemed to have a slightly different tone to. Just a bizarre situation

"AJ Green told me he thinks he still has many NFL years left in him, “I think there’s a lot of great years ahead of me. I’m looking forward to wherever that happens, wherever the contract happens, franchise tag, I don’t care. I just want to get back to playing football”.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
We blame him for not being able to stay healthy or recover, but look at our training facilities and medical staff and tell me if it's completely his fault.

I love that he says he's not going to turn down 18 million dollars. Players always complain about long-term security and whatever but it sounds like he understands that 18 million gives him plenty of security. Don't get me wrong because I understand that long-term is better but he sounds like he's not being greedy.

Personally, I love him and want him here for the rest of his career. I obviously hope that he can stay healthy and produce like we all know he can, but I think Burrow could rejuvenate his career.

Love ya, AJ!
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2020, 05:25 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: Disrespect? PLEASE.

He's been paid to spectate for the better part of the last 2 seasons including ALL of last year. Now I know it's not his fault, but please.

18-20 million for a year is fine, and he should consider himself extremely fortunate.

If he was in a Jimmy Graham situation, I can understand it a bit more. But this just sounds like him using the only leverage he has a little to much.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2020, 04:02 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: It sounds like AJ views being tagged as a certain amount of disrespect, but he also acknowledges it's a tough decision for the team. 

I can't blame AJ for feeling that way as I'm sure all players do to an extent when they get tagged. I also can't blame the Bengals if they're hesitant and cautious when considering any investment in AJ moving forward. 

well its definitely not great for fans that want to keep that player beyond the tag year here in Cincy..

But at Over 30 and missing 23 of the last 32 games.... If he wants a long term contract it will be for less than he was making...

But 18 mil 1 year is full gaurenteed…. But should we even be paying that much?
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2020, 05:36 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: We blame him for not being able to stay healthy or recover, but look at our training facilities and medical staff and tell me if it's completely his fault.

I love that he says he's not going to turn down 18 million dollars.  Players always complain about long-term security and whatever but it sounds like he understands that 18 million gives him plenty of security.  Don't get me wrong because I understand that long-term is better but he sounds like he's not being greedy.

Personally, I love him and want him here for the rest of his career.  I obviously hope that he can stay healthy and produce like we all know he can, but I think Burrow could rejuvenate his career.

Love ya, AJ!

I'd say 18 million is plenty of security. It's not AS IF 18 million bucks is going to force anyone on the planet to have to apply for food stamps or something.. Granted he MIGHT have to go buy a Chevy Chevette and live in it the rest of his life, but he'll be able to buy groceries anyway at some discount grocery store. Hilarious We should all be so blatantly unlucky and disrespected to be paid 18 million bucks for a year, huh?
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
If tagging AJ at $18m for 2020 is the only way we can keep him, I say thanks for what you did here and good luck wherever you go. This team needs so much more help than to blow their entire free agency budget on the hopes that AJ can play the entire 2020 season.

I'm a big fan of AJ and would love to keep him in stripes for the rest of his career, but paying him $18m is absolutely ridiculous. I'd rather spend that on an OG (not Jerry or Redmond) and a LB (hopefully better than what we have) and then draft a WR (preferably Jefferson from LSU). This is a team ran by people who almost always cut their salary cap space in half to account for the draft, injuries, and rollover money. With no rollover for 2021, I expect it will just rollover back into Mike Brown's bank account.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2020, 07:00 PM)muskiesfan Wrote: If tagging AJ at $18m for 2020 is the only way we can keep him, I say thanks for what you did here and good luck wherever you go. This team needs so much more help than to blow their entire free agency budget on the hopes that AJ can play the entire 2020 season.

I'm a big fan of AJ and would love to keep him in stripes for the rest of his career, but paying him $18m is absolutely ridiculous. I'd rather spend that on an OG (not Jerry or Redmond) and a LB (hopefully better than what we have) and then draft a WR (preferably Jefferson from LSU). This is a team ran by people who almost always cut their salary cap space in half to account for the draft, injuries, and rollover money. With no rollover for 2021, I expect it will just rollover back into Mike Brown's bank account.

Have to agree, that is a lot of dough to spend on a guy for one year.

Especially when said guy just sat out an entire season. Don't care who you are if you are always injured.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2020, 04:58 PM)R3stangs Wrote: Trying to work up sympathy for a guy to get paid 18 milliion for a year to play in 16 football games.

Hold on....its coming... I can feel it now.....

Wait, nope nothing.

Yeah it speaks volumes, AJ. It says your 31 and haven't played in a year and a half.

Seeing as AJs opponent in this battle is a man who makes billions to watch football makes AJ the plucky underdog by default.  
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2020, 07:00 PM)muskiesfan Wrote: If tagging AJ at $18m for 2020 is the only way we can keep him, I say thanks for what you did here and good luck wherever you go. This team needs so much more help than to blow their entire free agency budget on the hopes that AJ can play the entire 2020 season.

That's where I'm at.

I'm afraid that they'll get lazy and roll Dalton's money over to him.

There are a hell of a lot better options to spend BOTH of their money in than paying an aged injured WR.

Love ya AJ but it's a business and they need to start being competitive again and get out of the stone ages of signing FAs !
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote

You hit the nail on the head I completely agree. One of my biggest fears was that the the Bengals will use tagging Green as an excuse to not sign any impact free agents. If your tagging Green and signing no one else it won’t make us a contender. If Green has a good year he’s still a free agent again next season and there’s no way the Bengals will tag him twice , plus he gains all the leverage. Teams could outbid the Bengals to sign Green or he could decide he wants to play for another Organization. Then if the Bengals are still bad they have to factor in signing a 32 year old for big money on a rebuilding team.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2020, 08:34 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: That's where I'm at.

I'm afraid that they'll get lazy and roll Dalton's money over to him.

There are a hell of a lot better options to spend BOTH of their money in than paying an aged injured WR.

Love ya AJ but it's a business and they need to start being competitive again and get out of the stone ages of signing FAs !

Spend some of that money on Amari Cooper or a good pass catching TE if they want a weapon.

Cannot rely on AJ to stay healthy, simple as that from what we have seen lately.

(01-23-2020, 09:30 PM)lone bengal Wrote: You hit the nail on the head I completely agree. One of my biggest fears was that the the Bengals will use tagging Green as an excuse to not sign any impact free agents. If your tagging Green and signing no one else it won’t make us a contender. If Green has a good year he’s still a free agent again next season and there’s no way the Bengals will tag him twice , plus he gains all the leverage. Teams could outbid the Bengals to sign Green or he could decide he wants to play for another Organization. Then if the Bengals are still bad they have to factor in signing  a 32 year old for big money on a rebuilding team.

That's it, not for tagging AJ at all now. Lets take care of the O-line, get some weapons for Burrow, some LB's for the Defense 
and Draft Burrow. Think this is the simplest way to turning this shit show around. The worst thing we could do is tag AJ, keep 
Dalton at QB, keep Kirkpatrick and trade back out of Burrow.
Reply/Quote
I really don’t get AJ’s reluctance here. 18 million is more than he’ll get as an UFA. Hey it’s even his #!

Take the tag, and go out and have a “prove it” type season. I guarantee the Bengals would offer him a multi-year deal if he shows he can stay healthy, and there’s no significant drop off in his play. Plus catching passes from Joe Burrow has to be enticing.

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2020, 10:21 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I really don’t get AJ’s reluctance here. 18 million is more than he’ll get as an UFA. Hey it’s even his #!

Take the tag, and go out and have a “prove it” type season. I guarantee the Bengals would offer him a multi-year deal if he shows he can stay healthy, and there’s no significant drop off in his play. Plus catching passes from Joe Burrow has to be enticing.

I think the FO are the ones who should be reluctant considering his injury history.

Would love it if AJ was the same guy he once was when healthy and Joe and him light up the league for years.

I can see it with Joe and some weapons that can stay healthy, cannot see it with AJ and I love the guy.

My favorite Bengal WR of all time.
Reply/Quote
Why not transition tag him? The tender is $15.8M instead of $18M. They'd still have the right to match. I don't see any teams being willing to give a huge contract that isn't incentive-laced.
Reply/Quote
Do I have the injury facts right? He tore a big toe ligament( turf toe) in 2018 and missed 3 games. He came back for a game and ran 1 play and missed the final 4 games because he couldn’t run on the turf toe. He didn’t play any games on that toe in 2019 and careers have ended because of turf toe. 18 million for a year sounds like a sound, winning investment? It sounds like gambling the whole season on his being healthy. 18 million can buy a contributor!
Reply/Quote
They let that dude sit out the whole season while still collecting a check. No one is trying to disrespect you AJ.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote