Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zac Taylor Sat 2:30 NFL Network Senior Bowl
Yes, we get to see some college players that will be in the draft. Drafting 1st also in round 2 and 3 and on, I'm expecting a lot more than Burrow in 1. We could use a very talented Blocker and a very talented 4-3 Linebacker, not a tweener type edge rusher but a solid 4-3 linebacker. People on this site have told me Dye in this game fits that need. I want to see the Auburn blocker, the big offensive tackle Prince Wanogho. If he dominated in the tough SEC, that is a good sign. Maybe Alabama Williams and Auburn Wanogho would make good bookend blocking tackles to seal off the outsides of the O Line at least. Just as long as we get a top blocker and a top 4-3 linebacker with 1st picks in 2 and 3, because we should get great talent at these huge weaknesses of Bengals.

We also get to see Zac and to say the team didn't look good under him his first year is impossible to argue. Worst record in NFL and worst record in Bengals History. So lets see how Zac looks coaching this Senior Bowl also. If he doesn't score any points and his D gets lit up, that's just more losing football. The teams should be evenly matched in Senior college talent for Zac to have no built in excuses as he did taking over awful 2018 Bengals into 2019.

So a good chance to see maybe some future Bengals, but a good chance to see Zac Taylor a little more and these Bengals coaches.

I hope the announcers cover some of the game play by play. Often in these college all-star games the announcers are bad with too many side stories and sideline interviews. Often they don't cover it like a normal college or NFL game. Also this talk that the practices mean more to the scouts than the game is kind of silly. I want to see who Blocks and who Tackles in this game. The Bengals have players that we hear are great in practice, it just doesn't show up in the games. So hopefully NFL Network can put aside some of the side story junk and cover the play by play of this game. We need a blocker and a 4-3 LB, so I would like to see who stands out in the game in these areas. Not an edge rusher, but a LB making plays off the line, sideline to sideline as a Bergey or LeClair or Reggie Williams use to. Even if Jonah Wiiliams plays in 2020, we are still weak at the other tackle spot. Losing Whitworth, Ogbuehi & Fisher were bad draft picks, Glenn was a high priced bust, the team even tried to bring back Andre Smith who looked awful so the Offensive Tackles are a Disaster Area on this team. We need a good draft pick OT. Give Joe Heisman we are drafting some pass protection on the outside.

So Burrow, an OT and a 4-3 LB. There are other needs the 1st pick in 4 and 5 also. Bengals not limited to the Senior Bowl, but there is good talent at our weak areas in this game. 4 & 5, I have to think a need for a WR or TE and maybe a DB for more depth in talent. We can fill weak areas and still take one of the best available athletes all through draft picking 1st each round.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Kind of tough to gauge coaching based on the senior bowl. They get about a week and everything is about as plain manila envelope as it's ever gonna be for these kids.. I'm thinking what can they possibly do to screw them up in a week of that other than depress them to the point of never caring when the entire league is watching?
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2020, 11:39 AM)grampahol Wrote: Kind of tough to gauge coaching based on the senior bowl. They get about a week and everything is about as plain manila envelope as it's ever gonna be for these kids.. I'm thinking what can they possibly do to screw them up in a week of that other than depress them to the point of never caring when the entire league is watching?

Yes, and they are only allowed to run limited defenses...
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2020, 11:39 AM)grampahol Wrote: Kind of tough to gauge coaching based on the senior bowl. They get about a week and everything is about as plain manila envelope as it's ever gonna be for these kids.. I'm thinking what can they possibly do to screw them up in a week of that other than depress them to the point of never caring when the entire league is watching?

Well then it is hard to gauge these players in Senior Bowl also.   I don't think Zac did anything to earn automatic years as head coach here.  Zac still has a lot to prove and it remains to be seen if he is any better than Dave Shula or Homer Rice.  Too many built in excuses for Zac.  The Bengals were bad already, now saying we can't judge him on the Senior Bowl.  If Zac looks awful and gets out coached and clobbered by a team of equal talent, I'm going to question Zac in this Senior Bowl.  I've already posted on this site that if Zac starts 0-4 again, he should be fired early in October.   Zac Taylor still has to prove he deserves to be anybody's Head Coach.  Worst record in Bengals History is pretty bad, all excuses included. Bengals didn't win a game until December and if he starts 0-4 again, he needs to hit the bricks and be gone, no excuses.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Wanagho and Dye are definitely 2 players we should be looking at.
Reply/Quote
This game worries me. I have nothing against Herbert but I hope he does not light it up in the Senior Bowl. I can see the Bengals falling in love with his size/talent/potential so much that they draft him instead of Burrow.
Reply/Quote

Their horrible job last season should have been enough gauge them by you'd think. They had an entire season and managed to just suck ass in basically every category.

Reply/Quote
(01-24-2020, 02:17 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Wanagho and Dye are definitely 2 players we should be looking at.

Troy Dye pulled out of the Senior Bowl and Prince Tego Wangho is in mobile but not taking part in the practices or the game.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-24-2020, 12:05 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Yes, and they are only allowed to run limited defenses...

Which should make Zac’s putrid offense look a lot better...
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
I had a bit more confidence with Marvin & staff draft picks than I do with Zac & staff.
Reply/Quote
I don't think you will get an accurate gauge of any coaching staff in an all star game. This week should provide a real opportunity to find players that can help us though. Really a rare chance for more of an in-depth player analysis. And after last years soso draft we need it.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2020, 09:59 PM)Synric Wrote: Troy Dye pulled out of the Senior Bowl and Prince Tego Wangho is in mobile but not taking part in the practices or the game.

Thanks.
Reply/Quote
Game reminded me of a Bengal game. Oline struggled, Defense gave up plays at untimely moments, Offense struggled to score more than 23 points, loss to lesser quality QB's.....

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2020, 08:56 PM)jj22 Wrote: Game reminded me of a Bengal game. Oline struggled, Defense gave up plays at untimely moments, Offense struggled to score more than 23 points, loss to lesser quality QB's.....

The oline didn't struggle; Throckmorton struggled to death. He gave up, what, 4 sacks to Anaee (sp?)?

And the Texas Tech guy too, just awful.

The LSU guys were awesome.

QBs were also bad; Hurts was ugh. Colorado guy doesn't even have a chance of making a roster.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Well, they won...I mean the north.. Three cheers for...well...nobody really.. Somebody's gonna grab Herbert, just not us..I hope.

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(01-24-2020, 12:08 PM)kevin Wrote: Well then it is hard to gauge these players in Senior Bowl also.   I don't think Zac did anything to earn automatic years as head coach here.  Zac still has a lot to prove and it remains to be seen if he is any better than Dave Shula or Homer Rice.  Too many built in excuses for Zac.  The Bengals were bad already, now saying we can't judge him on the Senior Bowl.  If Zac looks awful and gets out coached and clobbered by a team of equal talent, I'm going to question Zac in this Senior Bowl.  I've already posted on this site that if Zac starts 0-4 again, he should be fired early in October.   Zac Taylor still has to prove he deserves to be anybody's Head Coach.  Worst record in Bengals History is pretty bad, all excuses included. Bengals didn't win a game until December and if he starts 0-4 again, he needs to hit the bricks and be gone, no excuses.
I understand that the senior bowl is somewhat of an allstar game, but watching and seeing the end result reminded me so much of this past season. Zac was out coached, I believe even with having the superior QBs. His team scored one touchdown thru 4 qtrs and scored a 2nd with about 5 mins left in the game and that was made possible by an int. maybe I'm being too critical, but the score was 34-17 and I could've easy been 34-10. I still worry about this coaching staff and how they would maximize burrow's talent. Zac was horrible as UC's playcaller and was horrid last year. I agree if the start out 0-4 with burrow, green, mixon, and the like...it's time to move on.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
They'd lose all 4 by 1 point each and Hobson would be spinning it for Mikey as if to say, "They're almost there!" Just think of the moral victoryisms we'd get to enjoy!

Reply/Quote
I saw beginning of this game and Zac was doing OK. The NFL Network wasn't and the usual poor play by play of an all-star game. I turned it off, we as fans were not getting to see Blockers or Linebackers to draft.

Also Wanogho the Tackle from Auburn and Dye the LB from Oregon were not in this game. They were to be there but didn't play for minor injury reasons. These 2 fit Bengals needs areas but Bengals have drafted enough injured players. Maybe they didn't play to avoid injury as many do in all-star games. Zac says there is a lot more to look at before the draft, so we can't take these 2 off the boards as they need a closer look.

So Zac did OK as his team came out and scored. It was a hard game to scout on TV unless you are looking for QB's and WR's. It would be silly to pass over Burrow over anything in this Senior Bowl. Hopefully come Draft Day the Bengals have a Monster Blocking Tackle and a Monster 4-3 Linebacker picked out to grab with first picks in 2 and 3, after taking Burrow the QB in 1. That would fill a lot of needs on this last place team. I'm still thinking a WR at top of 4 almost a 3rd round pick. QB, Blocking, Defense, a Pass Catcher almost in first 3 rounds. 1 pick off at top of 4.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
It appears that Brian Callahan called the plays for the game according to Jay Morrison.
Reply/Quote
Truck_1_0_1_
The oline didn't struggle; Throckmorton struggled to death. He gave up, what, 4 sacks to Anaee (sp?)?

And the Texas Tech guy too, just awful.

The LSU guys were awesome.

QBs were also bad; Hurts was ugh. Colorado guy doesn't even have a chance of making a roster.

Hobson seems to think Throckmorton was the big winner of the senior bowl lol. I only watched a little bit of the game, but when I did, Throckmorton was getting his ass handed to him.
Reply/Quote