Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 1 Average
I don’t get the burrow or Bust thing?
(02-05-2020, 04:36 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I want others to watch Joe Burrow throw on the run outside of the pocket and tell me what you think of his arm strength.  Because I don't see questionable arm strength as others have suggested.

This video is actually a good explanation of everything good about him, but also why some people think the arm strength issues exist at times. First off, watch his feet. A QB's feet should follow their eyes as they go through progression but a lot of guys will scan with their heads then reset the lower body which can lead to late or errant throws. Burrows feet are always moving, hence the hopping motion. This is actually a huge deal and something that I got to think Joe Brady worked with him on because I didn't see it nearly enough last year.

Now Burrow found himself making a lot of these off platform throws (when he rolls right in this video), or essentially off balance in terms of proper base and mechanics. When you get off platform you lose a decent amount of your lower body drive so it really does become more of an "Arm Strength" issues. The reality though is his arm is fine when his base is set but his "arm strength" drops off platform like it does for 90% of anyone not named Aaron Rodgers or Pat Mahomes. He made a lot of these plays this year though, which in themselves are very difficult to make, but it kind of fed a weak arm narrative that isn't really there.

In the NFL there are three real ways to view arm strength. Good enough, not good enough, and special. He is good enough, he isn't special, but that is fine because good enough is fine in the NFL. 
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: I don’t get the burrow or Bust thing? - Au165 - 02-05-2020, 04:53 PM