Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Burrow wants to play with AJ Green on the team
And can you blame him for being outspoken on that notion? A fully rejuvenated AJ Green paired with the deadly accurate Joe Burrow throwing to him, would be a beautiful thing to watch.

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2020/02/25/joe-burrow-message-bengals-wants-play-with-aj-green/?fbclid=IwAR0aaEqnnmPaOV89CzKRuhPTkmMHWEZyjHqi8SjZ3zAlkA0ZS06nJSeLJE4

Quote:Tuesday at the NFL combine, Joe Burrow didn’t just say he wants to play for the Cincinnati Bengals — he also noted he’d like to play with a guy named A.J. Green.

Let’s just say Green has some leverage in his negotiations with the Bengals now.

Burrow made the comment in his presser, according to Bengals.com’s Marisa Contipelli: “With any rookie quarterback the more help you can get the better… if I’m lucky enough to be drafted first overall I’d like to have him on the roster.”

In other words, Burrow is already signaling to the Bengals moves he’d like to see before likely becoming the first pick in the draft.

Green and the Bengals have been deadlocked on extension talks since last year, with the veteran’s season-long injury this past season complicating matters.

Before these comments, it seemed like this was going to result in a franchise tag. But with the team’s next potential franchise passer making his wants clear ahead of free agency, we might see a Green extension sooner than expected.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
It could be a great thing. But it's a pretty big risk I think? Wouldn't be pissed about it.

Reply/Quote
I want AJ to finish his career in Cincinnati at the right price. It just comes down to if AJ wants to budge on his asking price due to injuries and future injury concerns.

We do not know what Mike Brown is going to do but Burrow gave a shining endorsement on bringing AJ back.

If it was up to me I'd franchise AJ if he isn't willing to take a team friendly deal and trade him for a 1st or 2nd round pick if you can.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2020, 09:39 PM)QueenCity Wrote: I want AJ to finish his career in Cincinnati at the right price. It just comes down to if AJ wants to budge on his asking price due to injuries and future injury concerns.

We do not know what Mike Brown is going to do but Burrow gave a shining endorsement on bringing AJ back.

If it was up to me I'd franchise AJ if he isn't willing to take a team friendly deal and trade him for a 1st or 2nd round pick if you can.

I've stated a time or two on here, that I think that the best thing that the Bengals can do is sign AJ Green to a fair market, 3 year deal.  Now, that deal should also include some clauses to protections to the team's interests, as well as compensating AJ to the level he has earned in the league.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2020, 09:43 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I've stated a time or two on here, that I think that the best thing that the Bengals can do is sign AJ Green to a fair market, 3 year deal.  Now, that deal should also include some clauses to protections to the team's interests, as well as compensating AJ to the level he has earned in the league.

Yup he will be 32 years old when the season starts. Has only played 9 games in 2 years. Silly if he Green believes he can command close to Julio money.

Sign him to a 3 year deal but be able to get out of the deal if Green suffers another season ending injury.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
Give AJ a contract that is extremely well paid but is heavily focused on participation and production. If he wants top dollar give it to him because they can right now just make the contract incentive laden. Cant be paid guaranteed when hasn’t even sniffed the field lately.
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2020, 09:51 PM)thompson19osu Wrote: Give AJ a contract that is extremely well paid but is heavily focused on participation and production. If he wants top dollar give it to him because they can right now just make the contract incentive laden. Cant be paid guaranteed when hasn’t even sniffed the field lately.

I agree.  And I also feel that even though this thread is about Joe Burrow stating that he wants to play with AJ Green on the team, it's also important for us to visualize a way that happens.  As, while the team may view it as having given AJ $30M over the last two years, for basically no presence or production;  AJ's agent is likely saying something like "Y'all are just making up for those 5 years that you had him on the cheap".

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2020, 09:39 PM)QueenCity Wrote: I want AJ to finish his career in Cincinnati at the right price. It just comes down to if AJ wants to budge on his asking price due to injuries and future injury concerns.

Agree

If AJ will sign a reasonable contract with incentives for games played I'd love to see him finish a Bengal and help Burrow. And if he won't tag him and trade him.
Reply/Quote
Get it done.

Reply/Quote
(02-25-2020, 09:43 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I've stated a time or two on here, that I think that the best thing that the Bengals can do is sign AJ Green to a fair market, 3 year deal.  Now, that deal should also include some clauses to protections to the team's interests, as well as compensating AJ to the level he has earned in the league.

Teams interest?  You know NFL teams take out insurance policies just for situations like this?  There is nothing on the line for Mikey and family to lose except salary cap...I am not saying pay the man top dollar but the Bengals have little financial risk.
Reply/Quote
Like everyone else said, sign AJ to a fair deal but make sure there's language in the contract to protect the team, and also give AJ incentives and bonuses based on statistics reached.  

The team isn't going to find another veteran receiver with as much upside as AJ and AJ likely won't find another team with as promising a QB willing to give him money with his recent injuries.  AJ has to think that he can show Burrow the ropes and be what he relies on because a rookie QB will want that guy that he knows he can always look to and know that he'll be in the right spot and make the play.  

I also think that AJ has to look at a back like Mixon and realize that he likely won't find a team with as much talent as we have (assuming that we fix the right side of the line in the draft) and realize that his best chance to succeed and make money is to stay here.
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2020, 11:11 PM)spazz70 Wrote: Teams interest?  You know NFL teams take out insurance policies just for situations like this?  There is nothing on the line for Mikey and family to lose except salary cap...I am not saying pay the man top dollar but the Bengals have little financial risk.

You know insurers exclude cover for existing conditions in situations like this?
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2020, 11:11 PM)spazz70 Wrote: Teams interest?  You know NFL teams take out insurance policies just for situations like this?  There is nothing on the line for Mikey and family to lose except salary cap...I am not saying pay the man top dollar but the Bengals have little financial risk.

You do realize that salary cap is of interest to the team, right?  If they use that space on AJ, and lose him for the year, they would not have the room to get an equal replacement, even if the cash was a wash.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I'd do as joe asks. Zac wants him back too.

I knew he was going to stay a bengal but I'm not looking forward to the contract.
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2020, 08:09 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: And can you blame him for being outspoken on that notion?  A fully rejuvenated AJ Green paired with the deadly accurate Joe Burrow throwing to him, would be a beautiful thing to watch.

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2020/02/25/joe-burrow-message-bengals-wants-play-with-aj-green/?fbclid=IwAR0aaEqnnmPaOV89CzKRuhPTkmMHWEZyjHqi8SjZ3zAlkA0ZS06nJSeLJE4

Will AJ even be on the field though? The trend says no or not much
Reply/Quote
While I would love to get AJ on an incentitive laden deal, it's not going to happen that way.

Guys, any multi-year deal is going to be well north of 20 mil in guarantees. So if you want him on one just keep that in mind.

A franchise tag is a fully guaranteed at 18 mil. And he doesn't want that. So it doesn't make sense for him to take many of the proposals and hypotheticals I've seen. He's not going to take less guaranteed money on a multi-year deal than he's afforded on a single year deal.

You're probably looking at 14-16 mil per for 3 or 4 years with a 25+ signing bonus. The "protection" we would have is cutting bait early and eating that bonus. Which is fine, that's how it works. But having some special clause that protects is fantasy. He playing at 8 mil plus tons of incentitives is fantasy.

It's the tag, or something like 3 years 45 mil or 4 years 60 mil with 25-30 guaranteed. That's the ballpark.
Reply/Quote
If the Bengals want Green here for more than a year, they'll have to give him a contract - even at the risk of overpaying. My gut tells me that if they franchise tag him, he'll leave next year on principle regardless of what the team might offer him.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2020, 11:09 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: While I would love to get AJ on an incentitive laden deal, it's not going to happen that way.

A franchise tag is a fully guaranteed at 18 mil. And he doesn't want that. 

He's not going to take less guaranteed money on a multi-year deal than he's afforded on a single year deal.

This.  The total amount of the contract won't matter that much.  It will be about how much is guaranteed.
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2020, 11:36 AM)Big Boss Wrote:   My gut tells me that if they franchise tag him, he'll leave next year on principle regardless of what the team might offer him.

Green will be 32 this season and he has a total of ONE reception in his last 24 games.  If he does not understand a team being cautious about a long term deal then let him walk.
Reply/Quote

If you watch the interviews of Taylor and Tobin from the combine, it seems as though AJ coming back is almost a done deal. You never hear them say "hopefully we can get AJ done", it's "AJ coming back will help out".....
Reply/Quote