Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Giants release LB Ogletree and Martin
Salary Cap casualties LB Kareem Martin and Alec Ogletree were released by the Giants. Both are less than 30. Ogletree, a former Ram, was the defensive co-captain

"Although the defensive co-captains 2019 production of 14 total pressures, 62 tackles, 3 passes defended--was slightly better than his production from 2018, Ogletree was a liability in coverage, his NFL rating jumping from 84.9 in 2018 to 116.2 in 2019"

Martin was on IR most of last season

"In two seasons with the Giants, the most recent one seeing him play five games due to a knee injury that landed him on injured reserve (he was one of the team's two activations off IR in 2019), Martin managed 25 tackles, 2.0 sacks, and 25 stops.

In coverage, he allowed all six pass targets to be completed against him for 72 yards (12.0 yards per reception) for an NFL rating of 116.7"

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
we already got some linebackers that cant cover well...
Reply/Quote
Don't know what happened to Ogletree, but I wouldn't mind bringing him in.

Dude was great in college and he has shown the ability to cover, maybe he was dinged up or something last year?
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2020, 02:22 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: we already got some linebackers that cant cover well...

Ogletree can cover there’s inconsistent reports on him and his coverage ability. 5 picks 2 returned for scores in 2018 is not because he cant cover. He’s better than any backer we have on the roster right now....let’s bring him In. Our linebackers our terrible. Ogletree is an upgrade. Y not upgrade a poor position group. Probably get him for a bengal price.
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2020, 03:22 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Don't know what happened to Ogletree, but I wouldn't mind bringing him in.

Dude was great in college and he has shown the ability to cover, maybe he was dinged up or something last year?

Could it be that Ogletree had superb coverage season in 2018, because he had Donald and Suh playing in front of him?

And I'm sure that his decline in New York last season had less to do with him personally, than the situation he was in.  NY was a bad team, all of their offensive stars were injured, they struggled to score points.  We know from watching the Bengals that when offenses fail to score points, turn the ball over often and have a high percentage of 3 and outs, the defense is going to look much worse than it actually is because they never get off the damn field.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2020, 03:52 PM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: Ogletree can cover there’s inconsistent reports on him and his coverage ability.  5 picks 2 returned for scores in 2018 is not because he cant cover.  He’s better than any backer we have on the roster right now....let’s bring him In.  Our linebackers our terrible.  Ogletree is an upgrade.  Y not upgrade a poor position group.  Probably get him for a bengal price.

Sounds great to me, bring Ogletree in.

(02-26-2020, 05:34 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Could it be that Ogletree had superb coverage season in 2018, because he had Donald and Suh playing in front of him?

And I'm sure that his decline in New York last season had less to do with him personally, than the situation he was in.  NY was a bad team, all of their offensive stars were injured, they struggled to score points.  We know from watching the Bengals that when offenses fail to score points, turn the ball over often and have a high percentage of 3 and outs, the defense is going to look much worse than it actually is because they never get off the damn field.

All good points Sunset, maybe he can return to his 2018 form with Geno, Dunlap, Hubbard and company playing in front of him?

Plus with Burrow and hopefully an improved O-line we should get back to scoring lots of points.

I say bring in Ogletree, seems like this would be a no brainer signing. Dude got cut, he should be relatively cheap.

Cheaper than Trevathan.
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2020, 07:36 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I say bring in Ogletree, seems like this would be a no brainer signing. Dude got cut, he should be relatively cheap.

Cheaper than Trevathan.

I'm sure that Ogletree may be cheaper than a Danny Trevethon, for sure, and offer similar physical skill set.  However, I really like what I read about Trevethon being a leadership personality.  Who know's, maybe Ogletree has that same sort of persona, I'll have to read up on him.  However, with the Bengals current situation in the LB room, demonstrated leadership ability is pretty high on my good qualities list, when looking for a "good fit".

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2020, 08:45 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm sure that Ogletree may be cheaper than a Danny Trevethon, for sure, and offer similar physical skill set.  However, I really like what I read about Trevethon being a leadership personality.  Who know's, maybe Ogletree has that same sort of persona, I'll have to read up on him.  However, with the Bengals current situation in the LB room, demonstrated leadership ability is pretty high on my good qualities list, when looking for a "good fit".

Yeah, of the two I would much rather have Trevathan or even Bradham over Ogletree at this time for this very quality.

I rememeber Ogletree at Georgia and a bit with the Rams but I doubt the Giants would just cut a leader like this.

Word was Pratt has leadership qualities but he was just a rookie last season.
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2020, 08:50 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, of the two I would much rather have Trevathan or even Bradham over Ogletree at this time for this very quality.

I rememeber Ogletree at Georgia and a bit with the Rams but I doubt the Giants would just cut a leader like this.

Word was Pratt has leadership qualities but he was just a rookie last season.

Wouldn’t everyone who watches any football take Nigel bradham and trevethan over olgetree. Aren’t we stating the obvious on that. But when it comes to the bengals and overall value coupled with what they spend to me olgetree is the perfect fit. Plus we love Georgia players. The guy can play he’s a solid linebacker with good physical traits and has solid snaps under him. To find a linebacker who excels in stopping the run and coverage u are talking now about a top tier linebacker which the bengals will not pay in FA. Olgetree again is the perfect fit for the bengals
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2020, 05:34 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Could it be that Ogletree had superb coverage season in 2018, because he had Donald and Suh playing in front of him?

Ogletree played for the Giants in 2018. His PFF grades are not good though even in 2018 For a guy with his physical traits I would expect better play than what he has put out there in his career.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2020, 11:51 PM)J24 Wrote: Ogletree played for the Giants in 2018. His PFF grades are not good though even in 2018 For a guy with his physical traits I would expect better play than what he has put out there in his career.

Had not realized that he was with the Giants in 2018, thanks for the correction.  My statement about defenders having better seasons on teams with good offenses versus poor ones still stands.  In 2018 the Giants offense featured Barclay and OBJ, along with a supporting cast.  That offense could score, and take time off the clock.  The 2019 Giants offense could do neither very effectively.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

There is a lot of truth here...hell, look at our own Vigil when Brown was cut loose for a rookie.  I think he would be worth kicking the tires.  
Reply/Quote
Every time I hear someone say Ogletree, I immediately think Oglethorpe from "Slapshot".....

[Image: picture-144-1489121406.jpg?itok=2StqSkQV]
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2020, 11:12 PM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: Wouldn’t everyone who watches any football take Nigel bradham and trevethan over olgetree.  Aren’t we stating the obvious on that.  But when it comes to the bengals and overall value coupled with what they spend to me olgetree is the perfect fit.  Plus we love Georgia players.  The guy can play he’s a solid linebacker with good physical traits and has solid snaps under him.  To find a linebacker who excels in stopping the run and coverage u are talking now about a top tier linebacker which the bengals will not pay in FA.  Olgetree again is the perfect fit for the bengals

Yeah, I agree, seems like the perfect fit.
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2020, 04:01 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, I agree, seems like the perfect fit.

Not anything against Ogletree or any of the FA LB's  but

who was the last Free agent linebacker that we brought in that worked out well for us.... Thomas howard?

not sayings its been a steller list lately... It just seems like they have all failed.
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2020, 04:05 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Not anything against Ogletree or any of the FA LB's  but

who was the last Free agent linebacker that we brought in that worked out well for us.... Thomas howard?

not sayings its been a steller list lately...   It just seems like they have all failed.

Well, Marv was never the Linebacker whisperer either...

I don't remember a good Linebacker pick under him or a great FA pick up under him. Howard was good, not great.

At least under the new Coaches we made a good pick last year in Germaine Pratt.

Maybe our Linebacker luck will change with this new staff. Zac and Lou inherited Marv's backers.

Jamie Collins, Danny Trevathan, Littleton, Schobert, Ogletree, lots of good names out there that would help us at our 
biggest weakness. Our problem has always been bringing in guys past their primes like AJ Hawk and Dansby.
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2020, 05:15 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Well, Marv was never the Linebacker whisperer either...

I don't remember a good Linebacker pick under him or a great FA pick up under him. Howard was good, not great.

At least under the new Coaches we made a good pick last year in Germaine Pratt.

Maybe our Linebacker luck will change with this new staff. Zac and Lou inherited Marv's backers.

Jamie Collins, Danny Trevathan, Littleton, Schobert, Ogletree, lots of good names out there that would help us at our 
biggest weakness. Our problem has always been bringing in guys past their primes like AJ Hawk and Dansby.

all for taking the dude from the browns. but I think they will have the money to keep him if they choose.
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2020, 03:52 PM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: Ogletree can cover there’s inconsistent reports on him and his coverage ability.  5 picks 2 returned for scores in 2018 is not because he cant cover.  He’s better than any backer we have on the roster right now....let’s bring him In.  Our linebackers our terrible.  Ogletree is an upgrade.  Y not upgrade a poor position group.  Probably get him for a bengal price.

Hilarious  Thats funny right there. Anyway you're right. Why not bring him in at a bargain and see what he has.
Reply/Quote
Did we sign Ogletree yet? Because we need to
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2020, 03:28 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Did we sign Ogletree yet? Because we need to

nobody can sign with a new team until the new league year.  And until they know what CBA they are working under even that day could be in doubt

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote