Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Patriots Not Considering Dalton
(03-22-2020, 08:41 AM)dr tarzan Wrote: If there is no present market, then we should consider keeping him until there is.  QB's go down all the time.  There is probably an even chance that some team will be desperate before the trading deadline and make a better than market offer.  See Carson Palmer holdout.  Granted there is no idiot Hugh Jacksons out there right now but a team with no strong backup with a playoff season in the works may pull that trigger.

Wouldn't hurt to have mentor for Jeaux, tensions not withstanding of a starter helping his replacement.  Andy is a high character  individual and he knows MB is fair to his players, probably the owner most worthy of being called a "player's owner".....(least worthy of being called a coach's owner), and knows he will accommodate him as best he can within the framework of considering the entire team.  I really can't see him pulling a CP or being a malign influence.

Agree.  Getting 17 million off the books would be great but getting nothing in return stupid.  Keeping Dalton is not as bad as some think for a couple of reasons:

1)  No better person to mentor a rookie QB.  Dalton is very football smart and won't disrespect Burrow for being taken to replace him; it's just not in his nature or faith to do that.  Heck, they'd probably become friends like Kitna and Carton.  

There's a lot to be said for being a mentor.  In a way it helps you stay engaged even though the end of your career is near.  I could see Dalton being this type of person, sitting on his couch watching his protege lead the Bengals into the future.  

2) Some QB will go down early in the season and a team will be desperate (like was mentioned above).  If this happens you don't get the benefits of #1 for the whole season but you do get draft collateral in return.

I don't see it as a negative if we keep Dalton and think it'd be silly to outright release him.  I'm sure that's what a lot of  other teams would like us to do.  Make no mistake about it, they'd jump all over him if he was available and they didn't have to give up anything.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Patriots Not Considering Dalton - Daddy-O - 03-22-2020, 10:07 AM
RE: Patriots Not Considering Dalton - McC - 03-22-2020, 02:50 PM
RE: Patriots Not Considering Dalton - McC - 03-22-2020, 02:58 PM
RE: Patriots Not Considering Dalton - McC - 03-22-2020, 12:26 PM
RE: Patriots Not Considering Dalton - McC - 03-22-2020, 06:48 PM
RE: Patriots Not Considering Dalton - McC - 03-22-2020, 06:41 PM
RE: Patriots Not Considering Dalton - McC - 03-22-2020, 08:08 PM
RE: Patriots Not Considering Dalton - McC - 03-22-2020, 08:37 PM
RE: Patriots Not Considering Dalton - McC - 03-23-2020, 01:16 PM