Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Long Will The Depression/Recession Last?
The only people alive in this nation to have lived through a depression are either elderly or from 3rd world countries. Most Americans have never really experienced dire poverty so this is going to be a huge shock to millions and millions more are going to lose their homes, jobs, etc. along with many losing family members. Even among the elderly to have experienced the great depression? They were all children at the time with limited memories of the real hardships their parents faced. They may have heard stories of the hardship, but they weren't directly responsible for much of anything during the depths of the depression.  In the years since the vast majority of our population have had it pretty damn good in comparison. I think we all know people with little to no self sufficientcy skills and the vast majority still live in urban areas with little to zero farming skills so if the food distribution system we currently have goes tits up we may see massive starvation on an unprecedented scale. 
We've already seen a huge disruption of the "just in time" distribution system in medical supplies alone so that system hasn't really touched the food delivery system yet. I'm pretty sure that's coming so those without enough land to grow crops and livestock may be screwed. Hell, we already have been trying to kick out the very people tasked with picking crops and pretending high school kids will step in except most live in urban areas with no skills and very little reason to want to go pick crops for the very wealthy anyway.  It ain't gonna be like the movie, The Grapes of Wrath.
I don't see much good coming from any of this and could pretty much predict a huge uptick in crime once the food supply chains begin to break down.. Luckily for some of us, very few of us we live in homes already paid for. I'm one of the lucky ones, but we don't have a lot of land to grow a lot of crops, just enough to feed ourselves and the thieves will want to take most of it before it's even matured and I'm in no mood to want to start shooting hungry people.. Hell, most people don't know how to skin a rabbit much less the family pets, but it may come down to it. I've long said I'll eat the neighbors dogs and cats before my kids starve..Now my kids are all grown up..Ever eaten sea gull? I have and it's nasty, but it'll keep you from starving if push comes to shove..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: How Long Will The Depression/Recession Last? - grampahol - 04-05-2020, 09:36 AM