Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Does Success Look Like in 2020?
My measuring stick will be a bit longer than most...."That's what she said".

Seriously, I see a team that lost their #1 weapon on offense and their #1 starting LT then their backup LT before the season really got started. The coaching staff clearly was dedicated to seeing what they had in Dalton in going pass-heavy, yet they had few weapons that could get open in a short space. That, combined with the lack of protection and almost no rushing lanes for Mixon was a perfect storm to let defenses stuff 8 guys in the box, rotate the safety to Ross, and the pressure would force Dalton to get rid of the ball very quickly.

The defense was more pathetic, if possible. Opposing QBs could just nickel-and-dime us against a horrible Preston Brown in nickel coverage. The Bengals seemed dead set to avoid any big plays down the field but would get eaten alive underneath. The defensive line had very little to no chance to get to the QB due to such poor coverage by the likes of Brown. Webb, and Williams. Just too many holes for the opposing QB to pick away at with very little time for the line to get home. As the season went on, and Brown was replaced, the defense showed signs of improvement. Darius Phillips showed he can hold up pretty well as a starting CB. Vigil played much better when Pratt replaced Brown in nickel (which is really base at 2/3rds of the snaps). Reader should pay big dividends in the middle of the line and I am hoping for a SS like Chinn or Dugger to have a playmaker on the back end.

Special teams was very strong. And I would expect that to continue.

This year, on offense, we have already replaced the starting LT with a first-round talent that will have something to prove. The LG looks like it will be manned by Jordan or possibly XSF. XSF is a better pulling guard than mauler. I am not sure what they are going to do position-wise, but you can bet another guard will be drafted. My hope is Damien Lewis from LSU. You have a solid center in Hopkins. Decent depth with Price and Johnson. And improving talent at RT in Hart, who is still just 25. If they don't see a guard they love, they could go with a tackle that could be the long term solution at RT but start him at Guard...who knows....bottom line is that they will be significantly better without John Jerry manning the LT spot and a rookie at LG. The run blocking seemed to improve as the season wore on judging by Mixon's late season ascent.

The offense should look significantly better with improvements on the line, healthy RBs, AJ Green, and a likely draft pick at WR. Taylor seemed to find better balance toward the end of last season. Burrow is the wildcard. How will he look in year 1? Well, I am betting he will look really good. He is the king of preparation and he has a natural feel for the pocket. As much as I like Dalton as a person, he is not the leader that Burrow appears to be. I think Burrow will shock us in how well he takes to the NFL and will likely break the records previously set by Baker Mayfield.

With all that being said....my measuring stick will be making the playoffs. Yep, I think they can do that. SF went from 2-14 to the Super Bowl with a couple good draft picks and getting their QB on the field. Should it really surprise people if Burrow can do what Garappolo did when he came from Southern Illinois and Burrow did it in the SEC? Hell, the guy put up a 40 burger on the #1 defense in college in the National Championship game. I believe in the kid that much. 10-6 and a playoff appearance and I will consider it a successful regular season.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: What Does Success Look Like in 2020? - SHRacerX - 03-23-2020, 09:32 AM