Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fly tying
(04-26-2020, 06:18 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I just saw the broken link; I'm not sure what's up with that. Anyway, here is the Imgur post with some of my recent fly tying endeavors. https://imgur.com/a/9KRgq6P

I'm quite partial to native brookies in the mountain streams around here, myself. Unfortunately, some of the best streams are closed off because they are in Shenandoah National Park and people were stupid. But yeah, definitely a great pasttime.

I posted an album link above so you can seed what I've been doing. But yeah, I'm loving this stuff. I do fish Mossy every other week or so. It's only about a 20 minute drive for me and since Mossy Creek Fly Fishing is my local shop, it'd be wrong not to fish it. Brian Trow is actually one of the folks I've been learning how to tie, from.

I tie a lot of golden retrievers, which is very productive in the waters around here, and I play with the colors and what not. You can see two of my variants on it in the album. I also tie a ton of beadhead pheasant tails. I know that fly is one of the best nymphs out there and you can do so much with it, so I've been working on those. Then I also have been tying up some kreelex for the smallies around these parts. I am keeping it to those three, for the most part, right now. Working on getting the techniques down for different sizes, playing with colorations, trying to figure out hackles, etc.

I've found that it is very relaxing for me. Not as relaxing as actually fishing, but pretty darn close. I go to my office, pull out my vise, and just get to tying while listing to music. A great way to kill some time.

I will be checking in on this! I got to figure out how to see the album though lol. If you are 20 minutes from Mossy, you are in a great place. Brookies galore in the blue ridge mtns! I would imagine there are a lot of those tiny little mountain streams around there loaded with brookies.

Golden retriever is a great variety! They will catch about any species of fish too. The BH PT's thats my go to on most wild trout streams. Sometimes on pounded waters I ditch the bead and go straight PT. Fly tying is basically like another sport on top of the fishing. It can be more involved really. Before long you'll be tying perfect dry flies, and small stuff down in the size 20's lol. Or giant musky flies! That is getting popular.

Very glad to know we got some fly fisherman on here. We should keep this thread going. I'll dig around and find some fly pics to post as well.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Fly tying - Belsnickel - 03-28-2020, 03:45 PM
RE: Fly tying - sandwedge - 03-31-2020, 11:36 AM
RE: Fly tying - bengaloo - 04-26-2020, 04:59 PM
RE: Fly tying - SunsetBengal - 04-26-2020, 05:36 PM
RE: Fly tying - bengaloo - 04-26-2020, 08:26 PM
RE: Fly tying - SunsetBengal - 04-26-2020, 08:33 PM
RE: Fly tying - bengaloo - 04-26-2020, 08:46 PM
RE: Fly tying - Belsnickel - 04-26-2020, 06:18 PM
RE: Fly tying - bengaloo - 04-26-2020, 08:37 PM
RE: Fly tying - Belsnickel - 04-26-2020, 09:29 PM