Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Patriot's trade situation on 3 players: Cap hit too much?
(04-15-2020, 12:29 PM)Geno_Can_Dunk Wrote: All very good points. There are many variables we don't know, like whether Andy is willing to renegotiate at all knowing that if he doesn't he goes to unrestricted FA eventually. We might have already talked to Jax about several of their players, and they need to trade Ngakoue before they do anything. These trades also involve offset language regarding salaries which is something I don't understand at all. 

But the thing about NE is that they're in a really bad cap situation. Even if they trade Thuney and release Hightower, they still likely wouldn't have enough room to add Dalton unless we either pick up a big part of the tab (and how much are we willing to pay for a mid round pick?) or he agrees to renegotiate. I also think Bellichek knows they're going to get worse before they get better, so there's not much of a point in giving up assets for Dalton. Or maybe they draft somebody or trade for Brissett. 

There are a lot of variables. You can't just assume a deal would need to be in place prior to trading him, as some teams have enough cap space. Also, there could be a re-worked contract mostly worked out with another team, and they are just wanting to see how the draft goes before pulling the trigger. 

I maintain that the draft is the best time to trade him and get something for him. Teams gotta wait and see how the draft plays out before pulling the trigger on a trade. 

If he isn't moved during the draft, I agree that being released is a likely end result. We would have to re-work his deal to keep him, as well as cut or rework another player or two. This isn't likely, but technically a possibility. If nobody is willing to trade for him and there are no starting QB jobs open for him, he will have to face facts and take a pay cut--and hope early in the season a job opens up for him. I'm not saying this is the most likley scenario, I'm just saying it's technically possible (and "all options are on the table").

Again, I think the most likely result is he's traded during the draft and his contract is re-worked. If it doesn't happen, a release is certainly possible as his money would make it easier to re-sign Mixon and AJ and pay our draft picks.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Patriot's trade situation on 3 players: Cap hit too much? - Bengalstripes9 - 04-15-2020, 01:01 PM