Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
BURROW souped up version of Dalton
(04-16-2020, 09:23 PM)Synric Wrote: It's a poor player comparison.

Gil Brandt is basing the entire thing off three attributes. Football IQ, Accuracy, and Arm Strength. Under just those 3 conditions you can say yes Andy Dalton.... but Burrow has alot more going for him than those 3. Burrow also has excellent pocket presence combined with top field vision so while Dalton is all pre snap get thr ball out quick Burrow will hold on set up his blocks in protection like a RB and take shots down field accurately. He also makes a ton of plays off script.

It's funny because there is a QB alot like Dalton in this draft...His name is Tua Tagovailoa. Tua is a pre- snap guy gets the ball out quickly to his receivers. He is good against the blitz because of his pre snap recognition and ability to get the ball out fast and on time. Now when the play breaks down Tua struggles he doesnt have the accuracy or vision outside of the pocket.

Great post and I agree 100%. There are physical similarities, but from what I've seen, Burrow is fearless in the pocket and better at improvising off script. Unscripted plays were never Dalton's strength. I'd say they were one of his biggest weaknesses and what kept him from ever vaulting into the top 10 QB's. That may change if Burrow gets pummeled 40-50 times though, so hopefully we don't test his ability in that department TOO much.

(04-16-2020, 10:51 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I would hope even the biggest Dalton fans would agree you don’t take an Andy Dalton with the #1OA pick. Even at Dalton’s absolute best he was just a borderline top 10, MVP conversation type player. At #1 you need to have a much higher ceiling than that. And Burrow clearly does.

Brandt also compared Burrow to Peyton Manning, so he’s kind of all over the place. Lol

Also fair. You draft a guy this high because he has the attributes/makeup to be elite. Dalton was a ready made NFL QB, but he didn't possess this kind of ceiling. That's why he was viewed as a late 1st/early 2nd type of prospect.

(04-17-2020, 12:07 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Romo is probably Burrow’s floor. I have seen that comparison, and I don’t really hate it.

Romo was a fantastic QB. Arguably elite.

He just couldn't win in the playoffs, which is a problem I don't think Burrow will have...assuming solid coaching and decent talent around him.

Burrow just exudes a natural leadership quality that I don't think QB's like Romo (or Dalton) possessed.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: BURROW souped up version of Dalton - Shake n Blake - 04-17-2020, 07:11 PM