Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
TJ on John Ross: 'They took his confidence'
(04-20-2020, 12:41 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote:  but after one mistake and you're pretty much benched from there on

He wasn't just benched for "one mistake".  He was benched because he was not ready to play.

https://www.bengals.com/news/ross-listening-to-think-tank

"I let my injury get to me," Ross said. "I was trying to do more than I could. I was out of shape. I'm not trying to make excuses, but its real life things. You can't just come in the NFL and be that guy. You have to come in and prepare. I've learned that. It's growth and progression from here on."

Head coach Marvin Lewis didn't exactly give him a mulligan.  Ross heard about every mistake in the media, but he doesn't feel like he was in the dog house.

"Some of the stuff he was saying was true," Ross says.

There were plays that horrified him in practice. That's not who I am as a player, he thought. You're messing up. You're not performing like yourself. "I had to correct all that and I will."

It always cracked me up how so many people here complained about Marvin never holding players accountable, but when he did with Ross the same people complained about that also.  Marvin has a long history of playing rookies, and he was desperate to win in 2017.  It is absurd to think he intentionally benched Ross when he could have actually helped them win.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: TJ on John Ross: 'They took his confidence' - fredtoast - 04-20-2020, 01:37 PM