Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"He only did it for one Year..."
(04-22-2020, 12:46 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Any QB can bust, but Burrow looks about as safe as a QB prospect can be. He shined in a pro style offense against the best defenses college has to offer. He's exhibited resilience by overcoming a tough start in the championship game. His arm is at least a plus. His accuracy is great. His pocket awareness is great. Scrambling is a plus.

In this era, a player with such attributes simply doesn't bust (knock on wood). Is it possible he doesn't become a star? Obviously. I'd say his absolute floor is a slightly better version of Dalton.

I'm sure some people will get triggered by that name, but keep in mind I'm saying that's his floor. My point is that I'd lay money that he won't bust. Barring some kind of Ryan Leaf-esque hidden character flaws.

LSU ran a pro style offense in 2018, but not last year -- they ran a hybrid spread with RPO elements, almost exclusively out of the shotgun.  Less than 5% of Burrow's snaps were under center, and Burrow is on record saying he's more comfortable in that type of system.  The only thing pro style about their offense was the receiver route trees, which were loosely based on the west coast system.  It's a potential concern that was raised early on, but I'm sure our front office has vetted this.  Plus, Taylor and Callahan appear to be much more conducive to change, and so I'm sure they're already thinking about introducing RPO concepts into the offensive game plan based on Burrow's skill set. (Edited to clarify that I don't think Burrow is a system QB -- he has skills that will apply in any system. However, I do think that Brady's system catered to his strengths of accuracy, mobility, football smarts, etc. and contributed to h is success).

In my various pre-draft readings, I came across a quote from an SEC assistant coach in November 2018.  Amazing how far Burrow has come in just one year.  Wonder if this guy has changed his tune?

“Who is going to get exposed is the LSU quarterback [Burrow]. He’s not very good. He’s average. He’s a general and a game manager…” – Anonymous SEC Assistant on Joe Burrow prior to the 2018 matchup between LSU and Alabama.  
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: "He only did it for one Year..." - McC - 04-21-2020, 02:49 PM
RE: "He only did it for one Year..." - McC - 04-21-2020, 02:57 PM
RE: "He only did it for one Year..." - McC - 04-21-2020, 02:43 PM
RE: "He only did it for one Year..." - McC - 04-21-2020, 02:53 PM
RE: "He only did it for one Year..." - McC - 04-21-2020, 03:03 PM
RE: "He only did it for one Year..." - McC - 04-21-2020, 05:55 PM
RE: "He only did it for one Year..." - McC - 04-21-2020, 06:43 PM
RE: "He only did it for one Year..." - McC - 04-21-2020, 08:21 PM
RE: "He only did it for one Year..." - CJD - 04-21-2020, 04:35 PM
RE: "He only did it for one Year..." - shanebo - 04-22-2020, 11:27 AM