Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who ends up the "3rd WR" at the end of the season ?
(05-17-2020, 05:58 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: There's plenty of tight ends in today's age that are, by older standards, atrocious blockers. There quite a few that are rarely if ever asked to really take on that role.

Aaron Hernandez never blocked.  Gronk would block when needed, but it certainly wasn't something that was his strong suit.  Jimmy Graham wasn't paid to block, and was rarely asked to.  Zach Ertz isn't a blocking much either.

If you look at the college game very few guys come into the league with any real blocking ability.  With the spread being run so much they're simply not asked to.  The "dual-threat" tight end is prospect is pretty rare now, as athletes are valued above all else.

The two Ravens right ends, Andrews and Hurst, were bascially huge receivers when they cam into the league. Neither could block.  The guy the Rams drafted when Zach Taylor was there relatively high is Gerald Everett, another guy with little blocking ability.

Most of these guys are being used as matchup nightmares.  Too big and strong for DB's and too fast for LB's.  That's the role of the modern tight end.  If they can block a bit then great, but I think most are just taught enough to basically just get by.  They're not lining up in a 3pt stance 75% of the time and being asked to hold the edge.

And really, if you want a blocking tight end then you can use different guys at the position and rotate them.

I'm not saying I think moving Tate to TE is necessarily a great idea, but I  don't a lack of blocking ability would be what would prevent it.  Chase Coffman was drafted 11 years ago, and Mike and Marvin were even dated then in their approach to the position.  Blocking at the position is something not near as valued or needed as it used to be.

Gronk was one of the best blocking TEs in the game.  You don't have any credibility here.  
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Who ends up the "3rd WR" at the end of the season ? - motoarch - 05-17-2020, 07:17 PM