Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PFF ranks Bengals receiving corps #11
(05-20-2020, 08:22 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: The fact of the matter is we have a lot of unknowns.

AJ Green is a complete unknown. Can he stay healthy?  If he does stay healthy is he 2015 AJ Green or is 2017 AJ Green?  Is he elite, is good, is hurt?  No one knows yet.

John Ross is also a complete unknown. Does he look like he did early last year or does he look like the other 2.75 years he's played, and offer very little?  Can he stay healthy?  Can he cut on drops?  Where does he fit in? No one knows yet.

Higgins, as a rookie, is the definition of an unknown. He's never played at this level. Where does he fit in?  Does he start?  Does have a great rookie season, a good rookie season, a disappointing rookie season...?  No one knows yet.

How are our backs used in the passing game? Does Gio revert to early in his career where he's a true threat in the pass game?  Is Mixon used more?  Does Zach Taylor and Co. make using them more of a priority than last year?  No one knows yet.

And lastly, as it stands right now, our TE group really hurts us in these rankings.  Uzomah is average at best, and that's probably a generous description. 

The man has 1,011 yards and 7 TD's in 5 years. His career best year was 439 yards with 3 TD's.  Does he break out now that Eifert is gone, and Taylor opens up the playbook more than Marvin and Co.?  Maybe.  But who knows.  It's hard though to count on that right now.  And what about  Drew Sample?  Complete unknown.  I think even the world's biggest homer has to admit that, as of right now, on paper this is a sub-[ar group in comparison the rest of the league.

The one known commodity we have is Tyler Boyd.  The rest our question marks.  Not necessarily in talent, but in all the things discussed above.

This unit could greatly climb up those rankings though.  If Green can stay healthy and give 1,100 + yards and Higgins can produce right away, them coupled with Boyd gives a top teir 1-3. If Ross can contribute and we can get Gio involved, and the TE group is even average, then you're talking probably a top 5 group.  And maybe even higher.

But right now that's a lot of if's.  I'm not sure you can really expect us to be much higher considering a lot of the question marks.  We definitely have the potential to have some great weapons, but I think it's pretty easy to understand why other's may be cautious about elevating us into the top 10 just yet.

Just my .02.

My sentiments exactly
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: PFF ranks Bengals receiving corps #11 - Streak 161 - 05-20-2020, 08:59 PM