Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PFF ranks Bengals receiving corps #11
(05-21-2020, 11:39 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I mean, it's not that crazy to have them at #1 in either scenario, is it?  And if you're adamant they're not, how are they not 2? 

Receivers Alone...

Mike Evans and Chris Godwin combined for just shy of 2,500 yards and 17 TD's last season.  Both finished in the top 15 in the league in yardage. And Even more remarkable, they accomplished this with Evans missing 3 games, and Godwin missing 2.  If you look at their game logs their production was off the charts good. 

I think you'd be lying to yourself if you said you could come with 3 stronger duos than those two.

Group as a whole...

This is what really seperates them.  When you couple that duo above, whether you rank them at 1, or 2, or 3, with their tight ends they really stand out.

Their TE group is as follows... Rob Gronkowski, OJ Howard, Cameron Brate.

That is a ridiculous group of Tight Ends.  Even before the addition of Gronk, Howard and Brate were an above average group.  People forget that Howard was a first round pick that had all the signs of developing into an elite talent before he fell off last year.  He had a pretty damn good second season that was cut short by injury (565 yards, 5 TD's in only 9.5 games.

Cameron Brate is no slouch either.  As a 3rd TE he's unbelieveable, and better than anyone we have.  The man posted a 660 yard 8 TD season in which he only started 10 games. Proving not to be a one off, he followed it up with a 591 yard, 6 TD season in which he started only 6 games.  These are monster numbers for a Tight End who shares duties.

Then you throw in a 22 year old Ronald Jones, who was a HIGH 2nd round pick at running back, who posted a respectable 31 catches and 309 yards, in a running back by committee, to round out the group. It's now his job to take over as Peyton Barber is gone.

Mike Evans, Chris Godwin, Rob Gronkowski... That's one heckuva a trio.  Can you name one better?  Two better?  Cuz I can't.

They're so damn loaded with weapons I have to type them out one more time just to further drive home the point:

Mike Evans
Chris Godwin
Rob Gronkowski
OJ Howard
Cameron Brate
Ronald Jones II

I really don't understand how you think it's so strange to have this group at the top.  And it's even more strange to say "there's no f'n way" their receivers aren't #1, as if it's such a far off rank.  I'd love to see you list out better groups and your reasoning. Cuz this is a treasure trove of weapons.

Three stronger duos than Goodwin and Evans?  Heck, I think Cleveland has a better duo with OBJ and Landry.  You have to consider (have no idea how to find the breakdowns) that Tampa was behind in a lot of games and they were getting prevent defenses allowing them to load up underneath.  They also had no running game.  Stats don't equal talent.  You could say they suffered from erratic QB play, but they sure as hell didn't lack for targets.  In 2018, Godwin had something like 850 yards.  They have hardly been as consistent as OBJ and Landry.  Ditto Buffalo with Brown and now Diggs.  Heck, I would sure take Green and Boyd over them as well.  

The TE argument?  Howard caught, what...34 balls in each of the last two seasons?  CJ Uzomah beat that!  Gronk was an elite TE.  I have no idea what he will be now...he lost a ton of weight and his body has taken a pounding.  Huge unknown.  

And who was their RB that was a receiving threat?  

The Dallas cowboys are more loaded with receiving options than Tampa.  They have Cooper, Gallup, and the rookie CeeDee Lamb and an underrated receiving back in Ezekiel Elliot.  

We will see how Tampa fares with an old Gronk and ageless Brady.  One thing is for sure...they won't be getting the help of the refs in Tampa.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: PFF ranks Bengals receiving corps #11 - SHRacerX - 05-21-2020, 03:45 PM