Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A TON of Pressure on Zac Taylor
(05-23-2020, 01:58 PM)Geno_Can_Dunk Wrote: I think this is an excellent break down. I clipped the quote just because it's very long. 

I will only nitpick a couple of really small things. When Glenn went back in he did not play good football, or for that matter even very much football before he was replaced by Fred Johnson. At least I based this on a film review by Matt Minnich that I posted in another thread on here somewhere. Glenn really looked like he didn't give a crap. 

Also, I wouldn't put the "Ryan Finley tank job" in the positive column. One can debate the meaning of "tank," as has been done elsewhere on this board, but to call it a positive decision because it netted us Burrow is to say he did it specifically to lose games to get Burrow. Which is both absurd and, given that his job is to win games, would be poor coaching. 

Everything else is spot on. On a separate note, I had a dream last night that we were 3/4 of the way through the season and still hadn't won a game, and ZT was fired. Or should I say a nightmare. 

Thanks for the props.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on Finley and Glenn.

On Cordy, he graded out as our best lineman last year (PFF grade of 68.4). He started 5 of the last 6 games, starting with Game 11, so I do not know what you are talking about there (Pitt, NYJ, Cle, NE, Miami). Johnson started once. Yeah, there were some issues on his return. Rust. And likely some anger about how his injury was handled. But he played pretty well. I trust PFF grading every play a hellava lot more than Minnich, who has an agenda.

We won the Jets game, nearly the Fins game, and were quite comprtitive in the first Cle game and v Pitt. We likely win the Pitt game if Dalton is at QB. Which brings me to Finley.

Taylor's job is to make us better. Not win meaningless games after an 0-8 start. There were 2 very winnable games in the 3 Finley started (Raiders, Steelers). I think we lost 17-10, 16-10? A little better offense and we are 4-12. 

Once the season is bust, I have no problem with a coach evaluating the depth on the roster. Especially a first year coach who had a short pre-season. Pratt for Brown. Finley for Dalton. Johnson for Glenn last game. 

At 0-8 we were going nowhere. Dalton was gone anyway. A QB was a likely choice for the pick. So he knew Finley likely won't play much this year. It was a chance to look at him. In the unlikely event he tears it up, then you have your QB. If not, you have lost 2 winnable games and improved our draft position. 

So yes, I fully believe Taylor knew we had a better chance to win with Dalton, but started Finley anyway. Call it what you want. I call it a smart move that made our team better.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: A TON of Pressure on Zac Taylor - McC - 05-22-2020, 05:31 PM
RE: A TON of Pressure on Zac Taylor - CJD - 05-22-2020, 12:04 PM
RE: A TON of Pressure on Zac Taylor - CJD - 05-22-2020, 01:41 PM
RE: A TON of Pressure on Zac Taylor - CJD - 05-23-2020, 12:17 PM
RE: A TON of Pressure on Zac Taylor - CJD - 05-22-2020, 01:38 PM
RE: A TON of Pressure on Zac Taylor - McC - 05-22-2020, 01:00 PM
RE: A TON of Pressure on Zac Taylor - McC - 05-23-2020, 10:09 AM
RE: A TON of Pressure on Zac Taylor - Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 - 05-23-2020, 05:12 PM
RE: A TON of Pressure on Zac Taylor - 'E' - 05-26-2020, 08:36 AM