Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
XSF excited to compete for starting job
"You have to take it," Su'a-Filo said when asked about the starting job on the Bengals Booth Podcast. "Everything's earned that way and I know that it's not going to be easy ever coming in to a new place with a new system with other players to complete. That's what I'm planning to do and I'm very, very excited."

"I've done a lot of reps and taken a lot of work on the right side, especially in practice and some preseason [games]," Su'a-Filo said. "Getting comfortable there in a game is something that is going to have to be by experience, but I definitely feel good there and getting in a right-handed stance and doing things on the right side — it's not foreign to me."

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/xavier-sua-filo-bengals
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2020, 02:31 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: "You have to take it," Su'a-Filo said when asked about the starting job on the Bengals Booth Podcast. "Everything's earned that way and I know that it's not going to be easy ever coming in to a new place with a new system with other players to complete. That's what I'm planning to do and I'm very, very excited."

"I've done a lot of reps and taken a lot of work on the right side, especially in practice and some preseason [games]," Su'a-Filo said. "Getting comfortable there in a game is something that is going to have to be by experience, but I definitely feel good there and getting in a right-handed stance and doing things on the right side — it's not foreign to me."

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/xavier-sua-filo-bengals

Awesome, this could be the most underrated pickup of the Offseason XSF was a 33rd overall pick and made Fletcher Cox look like a
punk that one time. Not many OL can say this. I love that he can play on the right side at Guard for us. Should be an upgrade over 
John Miller there. XSF seemed to play better at LG for the Cowboys though, hoping he makes this transition seamlessly and MJ grows into a dominant LG.

Guard was our biggest weakness last year besides Linebacker.
Reply/Quote
Hopefully they decide on the line early this year. I think playing musical chairs up to week 1 hurt everyone's development last year.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(05-31-2020, 05:22 PM)jj22 Wrote: Hopefully they decide on the line early this year. I think playing musical chairs up to week 1 hurt everyone's development last year.

I agree, but you also have to remember they had some unexpected developments occur, that put them in scramble mode.  Clint Boling's sudden retirement, the Jonah Williams injury are the biggest highlights of the list.  Billy Price not emerging into the star that many of us thought he would be has to also be right up there.

So it seems like XSF is going to be the leading competitor for the RG spot, and he's excited and welcoming the chance to win a starting role.  Personally, I'm glad that he's on the team.  I feel like he has the talent as well as the competitive drive to make a difference.  Obviously, I'm also stoked about Jonah Williams, from all accounts that I've read, enjoying a successful recovery from shoulder surgery.  Part of what I'm about to say might seem like blind homerism, and that doesn't bother me though.  I truly feel like Mike Jordan is going to springboard off of the late season success that he enjoyed last year, and really take a huge step forward as a dependable LG in the NFL.  If Hopkins can simply maintain the level of play that he established last season, I feel that with improved Guard play around him, he will at least appear to be even better than he looked last season.  In my immediate mind, the only position that isn't already "solidified", at least on paper, is the RT spot.  The heat will really be on Bobby Hart to get it done, as I feel like Fred Johnson and the rookie, Adeniji will be hot on his trail for those reps.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-31-2020, 07:04 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I agree, but you also have to remember they had some unexpected developments occur, that put them in scramble mode.  Clint Boling's sudden retirement, the Jonah Williams injury are the biggest highlights of the list.  Billy Price not emerging into the star that many of us thought he would be has to also be right up there.

So it seems like XSF is going to be the leading competitor for the RG spot, and he's excited and welcoming the chance to win a starting role.  Personally, I'm glad that he's on the team.  I feel like he has the talent as well as the competitive drive to make a difference.  Obviously, I'm also stoked about Jonah Williams, from all accounts that I've read, enjoying a successful recovery from shoulder surgery.  Part of what I'm about to say might seem like blind homerism, and that doesn't bother me though.  I truly feel like Mike Jordan is going to springboard off of the late season success that he enjoyed last year, and really take a huge step forward as a dependable LG in the NFL.  If Hopkins can simply maintain the level of play that he established last season, I feel that with improved Guard play around him, he will at least appear to be even better than he looked last season.  In my immediate mind, the only position that isn't already "solidified", at least on paper, is the RT spot.  The heat will really be on Bobby Hart to get it done, as I feel like Fred Johnson and the rookie, Adeniji will be hot on his trail for those reps.

What is so awesome about this is the competition.

Every starter better watch his ass.
Reply/Quote
Honestly, the XSF signing feels like the Webb signing from last season. An underwhelming player brought in with the expectation to start. He struggled in the beginning of his career with Houston. What seems to be forgotten in the team's hype of XSF is that he signed with the Titans in 2018 and was released at final cuts. He only started in Dallas due to injuries and didn't show munch until last year.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
Not really. Webb never really showed anything. XSF not only broke into the lineup last year but he was actually good - their run offense was rather better when he was in there.
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2020, 01:37 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Honestly, the XSF signing feels like the Webb signing from last season. An underwhelming player brought in with the expectation to start. He struggled in the beginning of his career with Houston. What seems to be forgotten in the team's hype of XSF is that he signed with the Titans in 2018 and was released at final cuts. He only started in Dallas due to injuries and didn't show munch until last year.

I disagree. 
Webb was a late body signing by.the staff who had coached him before more or less just being ok with him having been in Lous system in the past. 

XSF is not a body signing. He is here to compete.

Typically OL improve til about year 7, then they are at their peak in years 8-12 before they start to decline.

Webb was 29 when we signed him. Db's that haven't shown anything up to that age usually aren't going to. 

Dbs peak in their 3rd year, after that, they usually show a slow but steady decline. Ofc as always their is exceptions like Woodson, Peterson and Daryl Green, but this is the general rule.

Anyways, I can't really name a DB that has been in the league for 5+ years that suddenly became a starter for a few years like I can guys on the OL. 

Ps speaking of OL, wasn't our LS Clark Harris named to his first Pro-Bowl at the age of 30-31? 
Reply/Quote
(05-31-2020, 07:04 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I agree, but you also have to remember they had some unexpected developments occur, that put them in scramble mode.  Clint Boling's sudden retirement, the Jonah Williams injury are the biggest highlights of the list.  Billy Price not emerging into the star that many of us thought he would be has to also be right up there.

Jordan has great physical tools.  The question with him is if/when he can put it all together.  I hope he does this year, but if he doesn't, I think they have to pull the trigger and make a change pretty quickly.  Maybe have Fred Johnson at RG and kick XSF to LG.
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2020, 01:42 AM)Joelist Wrote: Not really. Webb never really showed anything. XSF not only broke into the lineup last year but he was actually good - their run offense was rather better when he was in there.

Agreed, Webb was a depth signing, XSF is competing for a starting spot and has very high upside.

(06-02-2020, 08:18 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: I disagree. 
Webb was a late body signing by.the staff who had coached him before more or less just being ok with him having been in Lous system in the past. 

XSF is not a body signing. He is here to compete.

Typically OL improve til about year 7, then they are at their peak in years 8-12 before they start to decline.

Webb was 29 when we signed him. Db's that haven't shown anything up to that age usually aren't going to. 

Dbs peak in their 3rd year, after that, they usually show a slow but steady decline. Ofc as always their is exceptions like Woodson, Peterson and Daryl Green, but this is the general rule.

Anyways, I can't really name a DB that has been in the league for 5+ years that suddenly became a starter for a few years like I can guys on the OL. 

Ps speaking of OL, wasn't our LS Clark Harris named to his first Pro-Bowl at the age of 30-31? 

Agree as well. Nice post Mike. I see no similarity whatsoever between the Webb and the XSF signing.
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2020, 03:06 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Agreed, Webb was a depth signing, XSF is competing for a starting spot and has very high upside.

Agree as well. Nice post Mike. I see no similarity whatsoever between the Webb and the XSF signing.

If people remember, Webb was signed as insurance for Dennard, as Dennard was still a FA at that point.
So, technically, Webb was originally signed to be the starting slot CB.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I'd feel better with XSF starting at LG, but that's Jordan's job and he's earned the right it to keep it with his play late last season.

XSF at RG. I'm not sold. And my money would be on him not starting and here to back up both spots.

Fred, Adeniji, or even Redmond will be in the mix.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(05-31-2020, 10:18 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: What is so awesome about this is the competition.

Every starter better watch his ass.

Redmond will be back day 1. Price will be healthy and facing bust status.... I don't know much about XSF other than Cowboys back-up to starter, not a big FA splash. Adeniji was a OT in college but suspected to be a NFL OG.... People think Fred beats Hart, but I am not a Hart hater. He was and still is so young getting NFL reps...

I think our OL might not eliminate us before the season starts. But I think any OL issues will be magnified in a rookie QB, even if you worship at the Burrow shrine.
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2020, 08:12 PM)ochocincos Wrote: If people remember, Webb was signed as insurance for Dennard, as Dennard was still a FA at that point.
So, technically, Webb was originally signed to be the starting slot CB.

So we just gave Dennard a 1 year deal last year? I don't remember?

(06-03-2020, 02:01 AM)PAjwPhilly Wrote: Redmond will be back day 1. Price will be healthy and facing bust status.... I don't know much about XSF other than Cowboys back-up to starter, not a big FA splash. Adeniji was a OT in college but suspected to be a NFL OG.... People think Fred beats Hart, but I am not a Hart hater. He was and still is so young getting NFL reps...

I think our OL might not eliminate us before the season starts. But I think any OL issues will be magnified in a rookie QB, even if you worship at the Burrow shrine.

The Cowboys OL played better when XSF played that is all I know and he is a 33rd overall pick so he is talented.

If Redmond can clean up the penalties we can talk, until then this guy is a waste. Doesn't matter how nasty of a player you are if
you are false starting all the time. Sure hope Price comes around. Really like Adeniji and think he will be pushing for a spot sooner
of later. I haven't watched FJ play yet so I know nothing about him other than people saying he played well in a few games.

Not a Hart hater either, he is not as bad as some say. Overall I think the OL will be much better this year especially with Jonah 
coming in and Jordan going into his sophomore year with significant snaps for a young player as a rookie.

Burrow's pocket awareness will help no question.
Reply/Quote
(06-03-2020, 06:59 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: So we just gave Dennard a 1 year deal last year? I don't remember?

Yes, that's what they did.
1 year, $5 mill.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(06-03-2020, 06:59 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Yes, that's what they did.

Thanks, speaking of the Slot I hope we have an unwritten agreement that we will give Mackenzie Alexander an extension 
next year. Think this guy could be an upgrade over Dennard as our Slot corner and Viking fans were furious losing him.
Reply/Quote
(06-03-2020, 07:02 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Thanks, speaking of the Slot I hope we have an unwritten agreement that we will give Mackenzie Alexander an extension 
next year. Think this guy could be an upgrade over Dennard as our Slot corner and Viking fans were furious losing him.

Alexander is about the same as Dennard vs the pass but hugely superior versus the run and tackles well. All part of the theme in our defensive offseason pickups. 
Reply/Quote
(06-03-2020, 07:19 PM)Joelist Wrote: Alexander is about the same as Dennard vs the pass but hugely superior versus the run and tackles well. All part of the theme in our defensive offseason pickups. 

Dennard wasn't a bad tackler, but yeah, Alexander is better and I think has more speed to keep up with faster Slot Receivers.
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2020, 03:06 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Agreed, Webb was a depth signing, XSF is competing for a starting spot and has very high upside.

XSF is 29 years old. Not exactly an age where a player has high upside. 
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2020, 01:10 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: XSF is 29 years old. Not exactly an age where a player has high upside. 

Unless of course you're Andy Dalton and then 32 is where it all clicks when you're the starting QB for the Patriots. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote