Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
John Ross: 'Burrow's confidence will have an impact on me'
“I love his demeanor. I said that from the first time I met him," wide receiver John Ross said. "You can tell he’s a work hard guy, ready to get things going and he’ll get after it. First day was good. Second day was better. Third day was better. It just kept getting better.

“He kept the same demeanor, the same attitude. I can tell how hungry he is and how much he wants it."

"It was real great to be able to do that before the season just to get a glimpse of how things are going to be,” Ross said.

"I think it [Burrow's confidence] will have an impact on me," Ross said. "I personally think confidence is contagious. I think that energy is contagious. I think positivity is contagious and I see a lot of that in him. Watching his games, just him on the field — somebody catches a good ball or drops a ball or runs a nice route or if it’s a bad ball from him… just the energy that he gives you, he wants to get it right. He wants to make sure that everybody is right."

“He’s someone you can adapt to very easily. I think he’s very adaptable and he gets it," Ross said. "Someone who knows how to talk to people and [can] direct traffic because that’s what you want your quarterback to do. You want your quarterback to direct traffic and make everything make sense. That’s exactly what he does. I can tell that he’s going to be someone that everyone turns to and likes immediately.”

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/john-ross-believes-joe-burrow-bengals
Reply/Quote
I have to agree with Ross

Everything I've seen and read about Burrow just screams natural born leader. I can't wait to see how it plays out on the football field.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
This is what you want to hear man. If there is one guy who can turn this team around I believe it is Joe Burrow.

John has always had a confidence problem that has hindered him along with the injuries.

Burrow and Ross already have a connection which could blow up the league if Ross can stay healthy.

I almost gave up on Ross, but it is always the darkest before the dawn.
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2020, 02:47 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I have to agree with Ross

Everything I've seen and read about Burrow just screams natural born leader. I can't wait to see how it plays out on the football field.

I honestly think Burrow will have his teammates rallying around him and gravitating to him like no other Bengals Qb ever has, except maybe Boomer in the late 80's. I think his impact has already started and they haven't even had a practice yet.
Reply/Quote
I’ll stand in for Fred while he AFK.

“Ross is dumb, Andy Dalton did all of this too! That’s my quarterback!”

FWIW I’ll have to see Ross make improvements before any of this actually holds any weight. Each year he talks up why his confidence will be better and each year he falls short of expectations. I’ve said before that Burrow will have a great impact on Ross, and I believe what he says, but I need to see the proof in the pudding before getting too excited.
Reply/Quote
You have to have guys that totally believe in themselves before they can believe in each other. It also helps having a vocal QB that will hold players accountable. You need that same type of leader on D too.
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2020, 05:22 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: You have to have guys that totally believe in themselves before they can believe in each other. It also helps having a vocal QB that will hold players accountable. You need that same type of leader on D too.

If Burrow holds players accountable Ross is screwed.
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2020, 04:05 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I’ll stand in for Fred while he AFK.

“Ross is dumb, Andy Dalton did all of this too! That’s my quarterback!”

FWIW I’ll have to see Ross make improvements before any of this actually holds any weight. Each year he talks up why his confidence will be better and each year he falls short of expectations. I’ve said before that Burrow will have a great impact on Ross, and I believe what he says, but I need to see the proof in the pudding before getting too excited.

I'm in no way sold on Ross being "fixed", I agree we need to see him getting it done. But I do believe Burrow will give him his best chance at getting it turned around.
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2020, 05:51 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I'm in no way sold on Ross being "fixed", I agree we need to see him getting it done. But I do believe Burrow will give him his best chance at getting it turned around.

Man I have heard this tune before.. the only one turning Ross around is him.. and as a professional athlete if your mental game is that weak 4 years into your career OMG... is all I have to say.. Prime example Boyd had a solid 1st year.. down 2nd year... but just keep his head in the game and worked hard as a player.. it is not like Dalton, Green and rest of WRs were not working with Ross.. it really is up to him... step up to the plate this year or probably find yourself out of football soon
Reply/Quote
John Ross is so mentally fragile.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2020, 07:57 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Man I have heard this tune before.. the only one turning Ross around is him.. and as a professional athlete if your mental game is that weak 4 years into your career OMG... is all I have to say.. Prime example Boyd had a solid 1st year.. down 2nd year... but just keep his head in the game and worked hard as a player.. it is not like Dalton, Green and rest of WRs were not working with Ross.. it really is up to him... step up to the plate this year or probably find yourself out of football soon

I could not agree more. Why is this guy’s confidence so low? Injuries? Dropped balls? Marvin Lewis having an effect? Man up dude you are a top tier athlete who set a record at the combine. He could literally be Tyreek Hill if he had his swagger.
Reply/Quote
There is no place in this league for players that are mentally fragile.aka-John Ross.Not to mention how fragile he is physically.Even with Joe Burrow at the Helm,there’s a slim chance this guy makes it.
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2020, 05:47 PM)Nately120 Wrote: If Burrow holds players accountable Ross is screwed.

Well, good. It’s what’s needed across the board.
Reply/Quote
Ross will need to perform on the field, but these quotes at least speak to the possibility of something good happening. We'll see come game time.
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2020, 02:52 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: This is what you want to hear man. If there is one guy who can turn this team around I believe it is Joe Burrow.

John has always had a confidence problem that has hindered him along with the injuries.

Burrow and Ross already have a connection which could blow up the league if Ross can stay healthy.

I almost gave up on Ross, but it is always the darkest before the dawn.

I am putting myself out there on one claim over and over again.  If Ross and Green are healthy all season, the Bengals make the playoffs.  Of course, Burrow would have to stay healthy and you couldn't have an entirely second string offensive line, but in general with the normal season of an injury here and there if Ross and Green are healthy all season, I think Boyd, Higgins, Tate, Sample, Uzo, the RBs will all eat VERY WELL underneath and if anyone pulls doubles away from Green or a safety over the top against Ross, they will do so at their peril.

Skeptics will say they will never both be healthy.  But like you said about it being darkest before the dawn, I think they both have had their share of bad luck (as has the entire fricking franchise) and are due for a season where things go their way.  

The first 4 games of 2018 had both Ross and Green and they were 5-1 before Ross missed a few games and the defense just fell apart.  
Reply/Quote
I’m getting pretty sick of hearing about Ross’ confidence problems.
Reply/Quote
(05-31-2020, 12:03 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I am putting myself out there on one claim over and over again.  If Ross and Green are healthy all season, the Bengals make the playoffs.  Of course, Burrow would have to stay healthy and you couldn't have an entirely second string offensive line, but in general with the normal season of an injury here and there if Ross and Green are healthy all season, I think Boyd, Higgins, Tate, Sample, Uzo, the RBs will all eat VERY WELL underneath and if anyone pulls doubles away from Green or a safety over the top against Ross, they will do so at their peril.

Skeptics will say they will never both be healthy.  But like you said about it being darkest before the dawn, I think they both have had their share of bad luck (as has the entire fricking franchise) and are due for a season where things go their way.  

The first 4 games of 2018 had both Ross and Green and they were 5-1 before Ross missed a few games and the defense just fell apart.  

True that my friend.

Things just need to align and we Bengal fans all hope they have.

I have battled people for many years defending John Ross and there were not many beside me, but the point is about the 
potential of a player and I sure didn't think that Ross would initially just light up the world as a young player.

This guy has traits you cannot teach.
Reply/Quote
Let's see what happens the next time Ross is out there and has to run a specific route - will he actually run it? Or play the ball properly in. the air - will he? His issue is not "confidence" it is him not playing the WR position correctly in the technical sense. This even extends to the numerous drops - he does not engage with the ball correctly.

Oh, and yes it is him. If the cause were different these issues would be endemic across the WR corps but they aren't. Our other receivers may lack speed or other different elements here and there but in general they run routes more or less correctly and play the ball properly in the air (especially Green, Boyd and Tate).
Reply/Quote
(05-31-2020, 10:40 PM)Joelist Wrote: Let's see what happens the next time Ross is out there and has to run a specific route - will he actually run it? Or play the ball properly in. the air - will he? His issue is not "confidence" it is him not playing the WR position correctly in the technical sense. This even extends to the numerous drops - he does not engage with the ball correctly.

Oh, and yes it is him. If the cause were different these issues would be endemic across the WR corps but they aren't. Our other receivers may lack speed or other different elements here and there but in general they run routes more or less correctly and play the ball properly in the air (especially Green, Boyd and Tate).

Tate’s catch % was no better than JR’s last season.

Reply/Quote
(05-31-2020, 10:43 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Tate’s catch % was no better than JR’s last season.

And his YPC leads the team by far, ole John Ross.

Yes he has a lot to learn still and he has been a slow learner but he has untapped potential that cannot be taught.
Reply/Quote