Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We have 2 on a list of 12 to make major contributions in 2020
https://www.nfl.com/news/big-ben-stafford-among-those-ready-to-rock-after-missing-time

They like Green and Jonah Williams to make major contributions in 2020.

Add these additions to a solid draft and solid FA and we have had a great off season thus far.

To the naysayers of Green, yes I get it but it is the NFL and injury will always be a risk.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Yes, we will be better. Much better.

But so is Cleveland (two new OTs, high end TE, Garrett not susoended) and Pitt (Big Ben back). Ravens are superior, again.

Point being, do not know how much better we will do in the division (1-5 last year). I think 1-5 and 5-5 out of division is a real possibility. Maybe 2-4.

AJ, Burrow, Jonah, & Reader should have the biggest impacts.

Bell, Higgins, Bynes, Waynes, Alexander, XSF, a healthy Ross, year 2 Pratt, year 2 Jordan, Fred Johnson, a healthy Phillips, WJ3 in more man, the rookie LBs, and better CB depth beyond CB4 (Sims, Rose, Brown, etc) should all help to varying degrees.

Losing Eifert and some of our better special teamers are the only real negatives.
Reply/Quote
We should be much better. We couldn't fix all of our issues in one offseason, but took a step forward and it looked purposeful.

One move that would have been an underrated boost to the win column would have been drafting/signing a kicker. Someone coaches can trust hitting from 40 and 50 yards out.

Cut back on some of those useless 20 yard "punts" when the drive stalls in Bengal territory.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(05-31-2020, 05:29 PM)jj22 Wrote: We should be much better. We couldn't fix all of our issues in one offseason, but took a step forward and it looked purposeful.

One move that would have been an underrated boost to the win column would have been drafting/signing a kicker. Someone coaches can trust hitting from 40 and 50 yards out.

Cut back on some of those useless 20 yard "punts" when the drive stalls in Bengal territory.

We did that and then let him go to the Eagles. Still mad about that.

Bullock ain’t bad, but it’s only because I have PTSD memories of “hit the upright” Nugent every time I see a Bengals kicker go out for an extra point.
Reply/Quote
(05-31-2020, 01:25 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: https://www.nfl.com/news/big-ben-stafford-among-those-ready-to-rock-after-missing-time

They like Green and Jonah Williams to make major contributions in 2020.

Add these additions to a solid draft and solid FA and we have had a great off season thus far.

To the naysayers of Green, yes I get it but it is the NFL and injury will always be a risk.

We all just got to hope AJ's time off makes him fresh.

With Jonah there is untapped potential of one of the greatest OL there is.

Jonah could be a great OL for us, he has the fundamentals and footwork that is very rare for an OL.

Best OL in his class, none better. Surprised he was there for us honestly.

Jonah is mentally strong just like our new QB coming in.
Reply/Quote
(05-31-2020, 10:37 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: We all just got to hope AJ's time off makes him fresh.

With Jonah there is untapped potential of one of the greatest OL there is.

Jonah could be a great OL for us, he has the fundamentals and footwork that is very rare for an OL.

Best OL in his class, none better. Surprised he was there for us honestly.

Jonah is mentally strong just like our new QB coming in.

We all know is a beast when healthy. He is still a WR who makes a defense account for him. The addition of Higgins and the development of Boyd only make Green more dangerous for those teams who don't account for him thinking he is washed up.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(05-31-2020, 05:22 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Yes, we will be better. Much better.

But so is Cleveland (two new OTs, high end TE, Garrett not susoended) and Pitt (Big Ben back). Ravens are superior, again.

Point being, do not know how much better we will do in the division (1-5 last year). I think 1-5 and 5-5 out of division is a real possibility. Maybe 2-4.

Bell, Higgins, Bynes, Waynes, Alexander, XSF, a healthy Ross, year 2 Pratt, year 2 Jordan, Fred Johnson, a healthy Phillips, WJ3 in more man, the rookie LBs, and better CB depth beyond CB4 (Sims, Rose, Brown, etc) should all help to varying degrees.

Losing Eifert and some of our better special teamers are the only real negatives.

2020, if it gets played, is shaping up like a 6-10 to 8-8 kind of season. For once, the offseason saw significant improvements to the roster, but so did the other 3 teams in the North. The Division is arguably the toughest in football. Winning more than 2 games in the division will be challenging. If everything breaks right a 9-7 Or 10-6 season is possible, just not likely.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
Ross wasn't even mentioned, straight to Higgins. OUCH!
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2020, 09:46 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: Ross wasn't even mentioned, straight to Higgins. OUCH!

And I think he'll be a significant contributor if he stays healthy...

Could be a dramatic difference with a guy like Burrow at QB.   Really hoping they can get some snaps together soon.   OL and QB/WR interface needs it.

They say every team is playing on a level playing field, but I respectfully  disagree.   Teams that are depending on wholesale changes are behind the curve on both sides of the ball, when practice and playing time are how they ready themselves for the season.

Pretty psyched though about our receivers.
Reply/Quote
It amazes me that no one ever looks at the players other teams lose when they talk about "every team gets better". For example the Ravens lost one of the best (8 time Pro Bowl, 2 time All Pro) OGs in the league when Marshall Yanda retired and DT Michael Pierce was good enough to get $9 million a year from the Vikings in free agency.

The Bengals biggest losses were Darquez Dennard, Dre Kirkpatrick, John Miller, and Nick Vigil.

Notice the difference?
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2020, 12:41 PM)fredtoast Wrote: It amazes me that no one ever looks at the players other teams lose when they talk about "every team gets better". For example the Ravens lost one of the best (8 time Pro Bowl, 2 time All Pro) OGs in the league when Marshall Yanda retired and DT Michael Pierce was good enough to get $9 million a year from the Vikings in free agency.

The Bengals biggest losses were Darquez Dennard, Dre Kirkpatrick, John Miller, and Nick Vigil.

Notice the difference?

I’m positive he was referring to the draft, in which the Ravens had a very very solid one.
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2020, 01:00 PM)Kaiden.Gower Wrote: I’m positive he was referring to the draft, in which the Ravens had a very very solid one.

I was not responding to any one specific post.  I just hear that same line all the time. 
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2020, 12:41 PM)fredtoast Wrote: It amazes me that no one ever looks at the players other teams lose when they talk about "every team gets better".  For example the Ravens lost one of the best (8 time Pro Bowl, 2 time All Pro) OGs in the league when Marshall Yanda retired and DT Michael Pierce was good enough to get $9 million a year from the Vikings in free agency.

Notice the difference?

I agree 100% Fred

Addition of players minus subtraction of players equal net gain. A simple way to look at it.

Yanda loss is huge and so is Pierce. Wolf added to replace Pierce is big downgrade overall.

Yes Ravens drafted a very good running back to add to a team no need for a starting RB (more of a long term pick than short term)

As for our other teams in division, Ben is a bigger and more important question mark than Green for us

Cleveland lost some very good players too

I think we made our starting lineup better and kept the the other starters for the most part other than Dalton and a few others. So, starters being better hopefully helps depth be better also

Reply/Quote
(05-31-2020, 05:22 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Yes, we will be better. Much better.

Thanks for posting this. Every year people talk like the Bengals were the only team that has added new players this time of the year. It’s not only about improving but improving at a much higher scale than other teams have.
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2020, 12:41 PM)fredtoast Wrote: It amazes me that no one ever looks at the players other teams lose when they talk about "every team gets better". For example the Ravens lost one of the best (8 time Pro Bowl, 2 time All Pro) OGs in the league when Marshall Yanda retired and DT Michael Pierce was good enough to get $9 million a year from the Vikings in free agency.

Notice the difference?

Obviously that counts too. Some teams that lose out on good vets spend that money elsewhere. You have to factor in every teams roster change and not just say that the Bengals will do better because they’ve brought in some new blood.. Every team is bringing in new and unknown talent.
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2020, 03:09 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote:  Ben is a bigger and more important question mark than Green for us

He started just 2 games last year, but he only had a 66.0 passer rating.

He will be 38 this season and returning from injury.  The odds are against him being close to his old self.
Reply/Quote
(05-31-2020, 05:29 PM)jj22 Wrote: We should be much better. We couldn't fix all of our issues in one offseason, but took a step forward and it looked purposeful.

I would be curious to know what Stephen Gostowski is looking for. He's 25 of 35 from 50+

But hell, we gotta admit it's been a great off season if we're talking about them not bringing in a kicker.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote

Only 3 kickers had more FGs of 40-49 yards than Randy Bullock last year. Over the last 3 years, Bullock is a 87% kicker at 40-49 yards (Justin Tucker over the same time and range was an 88% kicker).

As for 50 yard kickers, there were only 4 who had at least 5 FGs of 50+ yards in 2019. There were also only 4 in 2018 as well.

(05-31-2020, 05:46 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: We did that and then let him go to the Eagles. Still mad about that.

Bullock ain’t bad, but it’s only because I have PTSD memories of “hit the upright” Nugent every time I see a Bengals kicker go out for an extra point.

You're being mad about nothing, then.

Jake Elliott was a 84.6% kicker, 2-4 from 50+, and 94.6% on PATs in 2019.
Randy Bullock was a 87.1% kicker, 1-3 from 50+, and 96.0% on PATs in 2019.

Jake Elliott was a 83.9% kicker, 2-5 from 50+, and 94.3% on PATs in 2018.
Randy Bullock was a 82.6% kicker, 2-5 from 50+, and 95.1% on PATs in 2018.

Jake Elliott was a 83.9% kicker, 5-6 from 50+, and 92.9% on PATs in 2017.
Randy Bullock was a 90.0% kicker, 1-1 from 50+, and 93.9% on PATs in 2017.

Elliott had a good rookie year from 50+ but has been 4-9 since, and has continued to have poor FG and PAT accuracy all three years.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2020, 08:05 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Only 3 kickers had more FGs of 40-49 yards than Randy Bullock last year. Over the last 3 years, Bullock is a 87% kicker at 40-49 yards (Justin Tucker over the same time and range was an 88% kicker).

As for 50 yard kickers, there were only 4 who had at least 5 FGs of 50+ yards in 2019. There were also only 4 in 2018 as well.

You're being mad about nothing, then.

Jake Elliott was a 84.6% kicker, 2-4 from 50+, and 94.6% on PATs in 2019.
Randy Bullock was a 87.1% kicker, 1-3 from 50+, and 96.0% on PATs in 2019.

Jake Elliott was a 83.9% kicker, 2-5 from 50+, and 94.3% on PATs in 2018.
Randy Bullock was a 82.6% kicker, 2-5 from 50+, and 95.1% on PATs in 2018.

Jake Elliott was a 83.9% kicker, 5-6 from 50+, and 92.9% on PATs in 2017.
Randy Bullock was a 90.0% kicker, 1-1 from 50+, and 93.9% on PATs in 2017.

Elliott had a good rookie year from 50+ but has been 4-9 since, and has continued to have poor FG and PAT accuracy all three years.

Yeah, Fat Randy ain't a problem.

The only thing I am concerned with honestly is the coaching. 

This aspect needs to improve more than anything along with the OL.
Reply/Quote