Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Let's not sleep on Auden Tate in the WR mix
(06-08-2020, 06:52 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: People misunderstand what separation is at the NFL level. So yes it's overrated.

I don't know.  I think it is overrated when evaluating a WR.  I mean, look at Michael Thomas.  People know that slant is coming and they still can't stop it.  The guy has hands of glue and Brees is one of the most accurate QBs of all time.  (cue Burrow references).  

I don't believe it is overrated when it comes to building a team.  If you have a bunch of WRs that don't generate quick separation and you have a poor offensive line, then you have a recipe for disaster.  You need a guy (or two) that can get open quick on teams like that.  I think of how much Welker and Edelman helped New England's offense with quick separation and nickel-and-diming teams until they got sloppy and Brady could beat them deep.  

One of my concerns with the Bengals is they only have Ross that really fits that mold, and a bunch of larger possession-type WRs.  I'm sure Burrow's accuracy and confidence (like the quote about when he sees a DBs back, he is going to let it fly) will help matters, as will his outstanding vision, but I really hope the line can hold up long enough for his guys to finish their routes.  I have faith that going empty will actually help spread teams out and attack them on multiple levels.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Let's not sleep on Auden Tate in the WR mix - SHRacerX - 06-09-2020, 11:33 AM