Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looks like Camps will go on as scheduled
(06-28-2020, 10:43 PM)AussieBengal Wrote: Dexamethasone has been shown in studies in the UK to reduce the death rate by 1/3 for patients who are on ventilators, UK authorities have recommended its use for severe covid 19 cases.

Decadron is not a new treatment. It’s a steroid that reduces inflammation from such conditions as Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome to poison ivy to use during joint injections for arthritis. I use it a lot for bronchitis because 80% of cases are viral and steroids reduce airway inflammation to hopefully reduce symptoms and speed recovery. It is a symptomatic treatment. And steroids are one of the mainstay of treatment for many respiratory conditions such as asthma and COPD for decades. Steroids for respiratory problems are about as common as Tylenol for a fever or headache.

Quote:Remdesivir is another drug recommended for the treatment of covid 19 and studies have shown improved outcomes for ventilated patients.

That’s an investigational drug that is only for inpatient use when patient’s are on death’s door and used as a last resort when nothing else has worked. The vast majority of prescribers in the US can’t prescribe it unless you’re a hospitalist working in an ICU. Studies have shown it reduces symptoms from 15 days to 11 days.

This is from the NEJM from May . . .

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2007764

Quote: BACKGROUND
Although several therapeutic agents have been evaluated for the treatment of coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19), none have yet been shown to be efficacious.

And this is from the manufacturer . . .

https://www.remdesivir.com/us/dosing-administration/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjani2_Gl6gIVyZ6zCh0oSgakEAAYASABEgJE1fD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Quote:Improved testing procedures have been huge throughout this crisis,  in the US access to testing kits was a big problem early on.

Testing is not a treatment.

Quote:Turnaround times have reduced dramatically over the last couple of months. Literally as a write this I am watching a press conference about a test being implemented in Victoria Australia that can be conducted from people spitting in a cup instead of a swap and can be done at the door of their home.

I had a test result return today after 12 days. If we’re lucky tests return in 2 days at the earliest. The normal range is 3-5 days. The labs are so backlogged tests are being shipped to labs out of state who have less of a demand which increases turn around time.

We had anterior nasal swabs made in China to collect samples, but our supply ran out and now we’re back to using nasopharyngeal swabs that go back almost as far as your ear.

And the test you’re talking about, is it a PCR test or an antibody test? Because the antibody test should not be used to diagnose Acute Covid 19.
Quote:Now both those drugs are in their early days of use and are not cures but early results are promising that they could improve the outcomes of the most critical patients.

There’s literally nothing new that I can write a prescription for that wasn’t already available when the pandemic began. And the most promising drug reduces symptoms from 15 to 11 days, but I can’t write a prescription for it.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Looks like Camps will go on as scheduled - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 06-29-2020, 01:31 AM