Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For the 4th of July: Dogs and fireworks
So reporting back after using the medication for the first time last night.  It seemed to work very well.  The only issue I had was that the directions were to use it 1 hour before loud events.   So I gave it to him about 6:30 PM as later in the evening is when the fireworks usually start to get worse.  About an hour later the louder fireworks increased in intensity but the medication didn't seem to help at first.  However, about 2 hours later it seemed to kick in. 

After the 2 hour mark he was completely calm and seemed totally unaffected by the fireworks.  He even had no problem going out to use the bathroom before bed when the noise was almost nonstop.  He slept well and seemed like his normal self.  So overall I'm very happy with the results.  This evening I'll give it to him a bit earlier or if the fireworks become more intense earlier than I plan then I'll give it to him then.  Tonight will probably be the best test as I am certain the fireworks will peak then.

(07-04-2020, 10:27 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I did not mean to insult anyone's pet with my "born crazy" comment.  Being gun-shy or afraid of noises doesn't really mean they are "crazy".

Hi, Fred.  Sorry if I seemed a bit defensive in my earlier post.  I didn't take offense.  I was just trying to explain what I know about my dog.  But I do know there are some animals that are born with mental problems.  Back in the 80's my mom bought a Miniature Pinscher puppy from a pet store.  That poor dog had problems from the start.  It would often shake uncontrollably, could not at all be house trained, and was just a complete mess.  She ended up giving it to a dog trainer she knew but I don't recall what ever happened to the dog.

My guess is that dog came from a puppy mill and from I have read often there is a fair amount of inbreeding going on in those places.  That's one reason I adopt from shelters and think having a mixed breed helps as well.  

Of course the main reason to adopt and not shop is to give a dog in need a loving home.  They really seem to appreciate being rescued.   When I found my dog at the shelter he was just laying there looking depressed.  Even when they took him out to the area where I could visit with him he just laid there looking sad.   I asked them about his history and all they knew was he was found laying by a road under weight, covered with fleas and suffering from mange.  When I brought him home he completely changed as soon as I brought him in the door.  He was extremely happy, full of energy and we bonded immediately.  I kept him in a crate the first night because I didn't know what to expect and didn't want any overnight issues.  That lasted one night and he has stayed crate free and has slept in my bed every night since.   Other than the walking issue that was resolved he seems to show me every day how much he appreciates having a good home. Also he has helped me through some rather difficult times as well so I very much appreciate him too. :)

Edit: Sorry to go a bit off topic later in my post. I'm just a big advocate for adopting pets from shelters.

Anyway, happy 4th everyone! I hope you all enjoy it. But remember if you drink a 5th on the 4th, you might not go forth on the 5th. Wink
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: For the 4th of July: Dogs and fireworks - George Cantstandya - 07-04-2020, 12:26 PM