Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 4.29 Average
Coronavirus Information...who do you trust?
(04-01-2021, 03:01 PM)GMDino Wrote: We would not for the flu.  We did (in America that I know of...there was a war in Europe) for the Spanish Flu.  We did for polio (to a point).  

In this case we should have perhaps done more...but humans are inherently selfish creatures.  Our history is filled with people and places destroyed by someone's greed.

And yet some feel comfortable saying "only" 500,000+ deaths weren't worth wearing a mask and getting takeout and not going to the bar.

"You can't make me wear a mask."
"People wearing masks are sheep giving up their freedom!"
"I won't take the virus because I don't believe the virus is that bad."

No one had to like the mitigations but to dismiss all the deaths as so much as worthless because the economy suffered?  Selfish and greedy.

I know, I know...next we'll talk about all the mental damage done to people who had to stay home.  As if the lack of support from communities didn't add to that too.  And the children failing at school as if the lack of parental involvement didn't rear it's ugly head when they were pressed to stay with their own kids instead of complaining about their kids getting "indoctrinated" at school.

There will always be a give and take in society between personal needs and community needs.  And when it comes down to it societies fail when personal need overrides the other.

I've said, repeatedly, that we can't empty a parking lot after a sporting event in an organized manner...we can't handle real, national emergencies because too many are "every man for themselves".  

Just my opinion.  
I think you are taking some things the wrong way.

The 550k comment is from a big picture perspective.  You are taking it to mean people are selfish and don't care.

Some people do not like injecting things into themselves.  I am one of them and so is my wife.  It has nothing to do with Covid or conspiracy theories, or Fox, or Trump, etc. 

For example, my kids, my wife and myself have never tested positive for the flu, ever, or Strep.  We don't want to get injected with a flu vaccine that is just a guess every year anyway.  Same with Covid.  We have been fine this whole time.  We have been around all our friends, family, strangers, masked and unmasked, social distanced and not.  We prefer to take our chances with Covid over getting injected with something.  I don't even take an ibuprofen unless I am in a lot of pain.  I drink water, milk and orange juice pretty much exclusively.  I also try to eat somewhat healthy, although I fail there quite often.

I always wear a mask when going into stores and never rock the boat because I know it makes people feel safe and I respect that.   Not wearing a mask in a store would be a jerky thing to do.  I don't want to wear a mask, but I'm not going to be a jerk about it. 

And yes, you are correct, even though you seem to dismiss it. There has been an enormous amount of harm done due to lockdowns and school closings, that IMO, far outweighs 550k deaths of mostly elderly and unhealthy people.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Coronavirus Information...who do you trust? - Mickeypoo - 04-01-2021, 03:24 PM