Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 4.29 Average
Coronavirus Information...who do you trust?
(05-14-2021, 03:26 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: Appreciate the earnest response, I was being genuine.   I'm certainly not living in some fantasy world where I think there is a chance in hell to change your opinion, but understanding your perspective informs future conversations.

Your family situation is pretty anecdotal.  Virologist the world over have detailed how Covid has a greater impact on the respiratory system than the common flu, an outcome of the evolution of this strain of the virus thats been predicted for years.  Personally, I place my trust in experts and science rather than what I can 'see' with my eyes.  Yes, some of the quarantine rules are still ill-formed, but the situation you've experienced is but a infinitesimal data point in a world wide phenomenon.  Just because you and your family didn't have a near death experience doesn't mean this has all been 'over-blown'. 

Regarding NY vs FL, and this has been discussed ad nauseam, the FACT that NY was an early hot spot put them in a precarious position and gave FL the advantage of learning from afar during those first few months.  The obvious disadvantage to NYC is population density, with >25K people per sq mile, the largest in the US.  Miami, the most densely populated in FL is around 12K.  Since NYC makes up more than half the entire states population, I hope you can see why that would matter.

Anyway.  Still don't know why you seem to equate those who prefer to be cautious with 'rooting for death and destruction'.  But as long as you and your family aren't dead, right?  Who cares about others...
Hey VAS,

some minor misunderstandings.  

I was not saying that my families experience means that Covid isn't real or a threat.  I was speaking to the fact that we were all exposed and in close contact to a Covid + person, but only one had to quarantine, including one who had symptoms the following day.  Just seems completely illogical to me if your goal is to keep the spread down.

I will agree that it is probably worse than the flu and was just trying to articulate my position which I am not very good at through text.  I much prefer a flowing back and forth, in person conversation were everything stays flowing and in the moment.

My death and destruction comment was not aimed at you guys, it was to poke fun at the talking heads who went insane when Texas dropped their mask mandate a little while back and think anything like that is instant death and doom. 

I have no problems with people being cautious and would put a mask on or social distance in a second if it truly made someone feel more comfortable.

I do understand NY is a little different, but I am pretty sure other states that have been open far more than states that have locked down are not doing any worse.  I will have to look more into that.  I live in NY and I am biased as I am tired of NYC basically dictating what happens in the rest of the state.  Very high taxes, Gun law BS, etc.  Especially when a vast majority of the state is very rural.

Basically I believe that Covid is a small enough threat that it does not matter whether a state opens or locks down.  I think the end result is pretty much the same.

Have a great weekend!  :)
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Coronavirus Information...who do you trust? - Mickeypoo - 05-14-2021, 04:51 PM