Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
LE Leaks show treatment of pro BLM protestors vs conservative militias
(07-18-2020, 06:27 PM)Belsnickel Wrote:  

Well, the SRA is pretty white. Don't get me wrong, it's got a good rate of BIPOCs, but think about the Bernie Bros. This is their group.

Interestingly enough, I have brought this up before in here that gun control is really more of a conservative position than it is a liberal one. Gun control has routinely been used to oppress marginalized groups in this country and around the world. This isn't just about race or religion, either, it's also about socioeconomic status. Our current gun control framework is pretty much that you can get just about anything if you can afford it and the necessary paperwork. This means that the wealthier you are, the more likely you are to be able to obtain a transferable automatic (not semi, but full) firearm. Because of the cutoff date of 1986 for full auto weapons on the civilian market, prices went prohibitively high and continue to climb due to limited availability. They can also afford suppressors and the NFA stamps required for them and all the AOWs. Essentially, gun control in this country creates a system of inequity.

If you limit these firearms to only law enforcement or military possession, you still create the inequity because (and here is where my more leftist tendencies kick in) the military and police are tools of the bourgeoisie. Because of our plutocratic society, the authorities should not be trusted to be the only ones with these weapons in hand.

Last, but certainly not least, are the dilemmas in political science. So, there is the original and modern dilemma. The original dilemma is individual freedoms versus security/order. This is what creates the difference between classical liberalism and conservatism. The modern dilemma is the choice between individual liberty and equity/equality (different things, but both fall into this). This complicated things a bit, but classical liberals became libertarians, which stand for liberty over both security and equity. Conservatives prefer liberty over equity, but will sacrifice liberty for security. Modern liberals will sacrifice liberty for equality, but are not as willing to sacrifice it for security, and communitarians just give it up for both security and equity. I know that probably got confusing, so here is a graphic I made last time.

[Image: 0797E7T.png]

So when you look at these things through this lens, it becomes a bit baffling as to why a liberal party would support gun control because that is sacrificing individual liberty for order/security. But, I've had this conservation with politicos in the Democratic party and, well, as of yet no one has been able to explain this to me. I am guessing that the reality behind it is that because we have a two party system, we have big tent parties and the GOP has libertarianish elements pulling them their direction and the Democrats have some communitarist folks over there.

Yes and no. The NRA sucks, don't get me wrong, but elected officials have made it clear that the boogeyman is real with what has passed in some states. There is a reason SSF has his viewpoints and I tell him it's because California has ruined him.

I could see how SSF would think that.  I learned fast when looking at 50 cal and 44's online that there's what California gets and what the rest of us can get, and they even make them pay more for the modified California weapons.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: LE Leaks show treatment of pro BLM protestors vs conservative militias - samhain - 07-18-2020, 07:19 PM