Erickson
Ross
Wilson
Phillips
Gio
Other on team
FA
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Punt Return Game
This topic began to dominate another thread so I thought we could talk about it separately. We seem set at KR with Brandon Wilson; however Punt Return is perhaps a different story. We've rolled with Erickson the last few years and he's been mediocre at best. Also with the drafting of Higgins, the emergence of Tate, and a couple of the younger kids his value at WR has diminished. So I thought I'd get some opinions here.

I've seen folks talk about Ross and I've mentioned it in the past. Also if memory serves I think Gio was a pretty good PR in college. Phillips also has a little experience doing it. So what do we think JN?

Is Erickson good enough

Should we try Wilson as PR

Try Phillips

Ross

Bernard

Is there someone on the team I'm overlooking or a FA out there you'd like to see brought in. To make this the best thread ever; I've included a poll. So tell me what you got and why.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
If Phillips isn’t starting, try Phillips. If he cracks the starting lineup, use Wilson.
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2020, 09:32 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: If Phillips isn’t starting, try Phillips. If he cracks the starting lineup, use Wilson.

They were trying to get Phillips more chances both Punt and Kick returning but injuries have really hurt his development on both Special Teams and Defense.

I would say the Bengals will continue to work with him.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
I loved Kenyon Barner coming out of college. He's available.

Reply/Quote
Voted Phillips, but Gio would be interesting. Not sure how good he’d be at it, but it would be nice to get a little more of our money’s worth out of him.

Reply/Quote
Wilson has already shown great return skills. He seems like the obvious choice.
Reply/Quote
There are lots of injuries on special teams, but to me it seems like it is usually the blockers and tacklers more than the actual returners.

What do you guys think?

I wonder if there are any numbers anywhere to confirm that.
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2020, 10:15 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Wilson has already shown great return skills.  He seems like the obvious choice.
Wilson has never returned a punt. Being good at one doesn't mean you'll be good at the other. Cordarelle Patterson is probably the best KR in the game and doesn't do punts.

Ironically one of the better at both PR and KR is Pharoh Cooper. 

Reply/Quote
You know what I think we will be calling the highlight film of our return men in 2020?

[Image: 090431869024.jpg?v=2]
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2020, 10:23 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You know what I think we will be calling the highlight film of our return men in 2020?

If only they can Hold On

Reply/Quote
I personally think that ability-wise, Ross or Gio-van would be best.

Wilson has always been a KR, so while I'm sure he can transition, who knows if he can do it?

After Phillips returned from injury last year, he clearly has the worst vision of a returner I have ever seen; he gets blindsided and runs into people constantly, thus unless he fixes that, he's useless.

I still maintain Erickson is the best we have right now, for PR.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2020, 10:23 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You know what I think we will be calling the highlight film of our return men in 2020?

We used to listen to this after every Bengals loss in the 90's. Back then some may have called us "fruitcakes". In retrospect, we were die-hards and lovers of an absolute banger of a song.

Reply/Quote
(08-05-2020, 10:56 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I personally think that ability-wise, Ross or Gio-van would be best.

Wilson has always been a KR, so while I'm sure he can transition, who knows if he can do it?

After Phillips returned from injury last year, he clearly has the worst vision of a returner I have ever seen; he gets blindsided and runs into people constantly, thus unless he fixes that, he's useless.

I still maintain Erickson is the best we have right now, for PR.

Phillips had 5 career TDs as a returner in college, and 5 more TDs off of 12 INTs.  I think that his vision might be a little better than what you have observed thus far.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2020, 11:12 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Phillips had 5 career TDs as a returner in college, and 5 more TDs off of 12 INTs.  I think that his vision might be a little better than what you have observed thus far.

Read what I wrote again, specifically, "after he came back from injury."

Case in point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tztfie4yeQU

0:16: His vision is great, avoiding tackles and finding holes in the brief time he has the ball.
2:12: Nothing special here
2:30: WTF was that?

There's also the 3 punt returns (since we're talking about PR here) against the Browns, Patriots and Dolphins, where he got 9 yards; his vision stuck out like a sore thumb.

Then there's the fact that he screwed the pooch on KRs, getting almost nothing substantial, whereas pre-injury, he had the brilliant KR TD called back due to the bullshit penalty that never happened.

Unless he got spooked or something, he became blind as a bat, after returning from injury.

Seriously, breaking them or not, I don't know why people are bashing Erickson and his career 7.5 YPR/24.8 YPKR, but they all want Phillips to return, with his career 6.4 and 24.9 (absolutely, smaller sample size... but the point remains).

Also, funny how people (not specifically you, Sunset), bring up Phillips' college exploits, but conveniently forget that Erickson returned 2 PRs back for TD in the preseason; PS isn't against starters, but at least it's more noteworthy than college.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2020, 11:35 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Read what I wrote again, specifically, "after he came back from injury."

Case in point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tztfie4yeQU

0:16: His vision is great, avoiding tackles and finding holes in the brief time he has the ball.
2:12: Nothing special here
2:30: WTF was that?

There's also the 3 punt returns (since we're talking about PR here) against the Browns, Patriots and Dolphins, where he got 9 yards; his vision stuck out like a sore thumb.

Then there's the fact that he screwed the pooch on KRs, getting almost nothing substantial, whereas pre-injury, he had the brilliant KR TD called back due to the bullshit penalty that never happened.

Unless he got spooked or something, he became blind as a bat, after returning from injury.

Seriously, breaking them or not, I don't know why people are bashing Erickson and his career 7.5 YPR/24.8 YPKR, but they all want Phillips to return, with his career 6.4 and 24.9 (absolutely, smaller sample size... but the point remains).

Also, funny how people (not specifically you, Sunset), bring up Phillips' college exploits, but conveniently forget that Erickson returned 2 PRs back for TD in the preseason; PS isn't against starters, but at least it's more noteworthy than college.

Returning punts in preseason for TDs is makes for a feel good story to discuss that night 
But the truth is most of those guys are out of the league now that were on coverage teams 

Erickson has yet to take a kick all the way back for a TD when it really matters 
I mean really how chances are you going to give Erickson. ?

Erickson has decent speed. But he has no 2nd gear. And he tends to run out of bounds instead 
Of trying to maybe plant redirect and explode 

There's a reason why his average is average 
Cause he's average. 
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2020, 09:32 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: If Phillips isn’t starting, try Phillips. If he cracks the starting lineup, use Wilson.

I'm sort of in this camp, but I would just go with Wilson first.  He is a former RB and I think Phillips will be one injury away from playing any of the CB positions.  I can't remember a season where all our CBs made it healthy the entire year.  Wilson will be behind Shawn Williams as first safety off the bench.  
Reply/Quote
Put Ross back there.  Every time he has the ball in open space something insane happens.

He's the only player I can think of who can either score an amazing TD, have a lowlight reel drop, make a crippling turnover, or get a season ending injury on any given play.  Every time he is involved in a play you hold your breath.  Bring it on.  Entertain is. 
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2020, 11:07 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: We used to listen to this after every Bengals loss in the 90's.  Back then some may have called us "fruitcakes". In retrospect, we were die-hards and lovers of an absolute banger of a song.

Everyone liked the short-haired blonde, but the red-head in the middle of this video....Look at those thighs at 2:00.  Shtinkity, shtink, shtink.  I remember hating the videographer for never giving us a butt shot:)  

https://youtu.be/pkYzwoZ0YwI
Reply/Quote
A thread about the 2020 Bengals punt return personnel has led me to discover the existence of crappy mid 90s solo albums by the members of Wilson Phillips. Life is odd.
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2020, 11:57 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Returning punts in preseason for TDs is makes for a feel good story to discuss that night 
But the truth is most of those guys are out of the league now that were on coverage teams 

Still better than guys on college cover teams.
Reply/Quote