Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
More "largely peaceful" Portland protests
(08-27-2020, 09:25 AM)GMDino Wrote: No shooting guys in the back 7 times...no protests.

No protests and the "riots" are regular crimes that can't be used to attach to the cause of police violence...particularly against minorities.

So the police need to clean up their house.  That's a good first step.  Rather than welcoming the vigilantes. 

(08-27-2020, 10:28 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Keep excusing the behavior and it'll keep happening.  They were riots and looting in Chicago after the police shot a man who shot at them first.  So please don't pretend this is about police violence.  

That's what I said.

Quit excusing minorities being shot and killed and paralyzed.

(08-27-2020, 10:38 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: I think it's still fair to say it's about police violence, but I think we need to recognize that the people starting the protests which result in people taking advantage of the situation are very quick to jump to conclusions. Far too often we see instances of police involved shootings which are completely above board, yet the protests are already going. Even the Jacob Black shooting is in this realm, to be quite frank.

It's tough because stuff like what happened to Floyd and Taylor are horrible situations and we need to be taking a hard look at them, but because people are so quick to either denounce or defend the police actions it becomes almost farcical and results in people digging their heals in even more on their side.

If those two (and all the ones before them) were handled in a quick and open manner, if we saw legitimate changes, if we saw anything but victim blaming and support for people who "might have" been acting in self-defense when they are white but not when they are a minority.  If we saw any of that maybe the protests would slow down, the looters wouldn't have cover for been criminals and we could move forward.

These protests aren't new and they are not just based on the latest incident.  We all know that.  Each new incident whether there is an over reaction or not is just fuel to a fire that isn't being fought...just left to burn.  Sometimes I think the police like it burning to justify what they do to minorities.  Maybe Not all of them, but in a country where the leaders love to stoke the flames of fear for votes it sure would help them.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: More "largely peaceful" Portland protests - GMDino - 08-27-2020, 11:44 AM