Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This team is starting to remind of the 2000s Bengals
(08-15-2020, 06:32 PM)willieFANderson Wrote: The game has changed for better and for worse, but I will always look upon the ‘05 season as the most exciting season since I have followed the team. ‘15 had talent, but I never got the feeling of confidence that I had in ‘05 when Carson was throwing to Chad Johnson.  I’m getting that confidence from the offensive side of the ball, maybe not this year, but this is going to be a legit team sooner or later.

Completely agree.  The Bengals had been deficient for so long before that team.  We had a brief run with Blake and Pickens that was at least fun to watch, but the rest of the team was blah.

Just add up a few of the things that are new to this year:

Joe F'n Burrow- Coming off the greatest single season in college football, and he did it in the SEC. 

DJ Reader- One of the best interior linemen next to Geno Atkins?  Yes, please.

Tee Higgins- A definite large catch-radius guy with great hands.  Can't wait to see him and Burrow grow together. 

AJ Green- One of the best Bengals of all time with something to prove.

Vonn Bell- A leader with a work ethic that is allergic to losing.  Improved SS play is something we have really needed for some time. 

Mackenzie Alexander- One of the highest rated slot corners in the NFL.

Trae Waynes-  May have holes in his game, but one of them is not tackling.

Jonah Williams-  Looks bigger and stronger than the highest ranked tackle in the 2019 draft.  Didn't rest, he got ready.

Fred Johnson-  Looked at least solid in a couple games at LT last year, will push for the starting job at RT.  Competition is good.

Xavier Sua-Filo- Cowboy fans said they were better when he was in there, and they are pretty good on the offensive line.

Logan Wilson/ADG/Bailey/Bynes- FOUR new additions, three instinctive, speedy rookies and one veteran from a division foe.  Arguably the biggest weakness on the Bengals for some time, now could actually be a position of strength. 

That is 10 distinct areas that were altered/improved heading in to the 2020 season, with Fred Johnson not officially being the 11th as he was here at the end of last year.  If we are going to add a few other optimistic items, let's not pretend that what Joe Mixon did the last eight games was a fluke.  He was on fire.  Credit some of the offensive line adjustments, but if we get Mixon a little more involved (and Gio?) in the passing game, he becomes that much larger a weapon.  

Oh, and did I mention Joe F'n Burrow?  How the hell can you NOT be excited about this season?  That was a hypothetical.  I know all about the dog that has been beat too much...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: This team is starting to remind of the 2000s Bengals - SHRacerX - 08-16-2020, 11:36 AM