Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This team is starting to remind of the 2000s Bengals
(08-19-2020, 10:10 AM)PDub80 Wrote: In order order to make relevant points, if I reply to someone who quoted someone else I go back and read the whole chain of conversation to get the gist of the discussion before chiming in. Perhaps you should start practicing that, too. You are the perfect example of where society is at today: You only wish to be heard and have no interest in actually listening to anyone else. IMO, YOU, virtually exclusively, are why this board has been dying on the vine and losing participating members.

Before going further, YES, I understand all NFL teams have sketchy personnel somewhere in their ORG. I didn't say nor did I even infer that they didn't.

On to your "points", of which - even if you're right (spoiler alert: you're not), you're wrong.....

- The person I was replying to was blaming Mike Brown for bringing in low character guys. As a counterpoint, I was pointing out that a lot more high character guys have been brought in via FA or the draft since Marvin left and virtually NO questionable chars have even been worked out, let alone signed or drafted (so far). So, to solely blame Mike Brown and not mention Marvin (who had a huge influence in the org) for rough character signings/draft picks (issues from mostly 10+ years ago, BTW) doesn't 100% make sense given the new coaching staff's FAs & drafts.

He also, in reply to me, wanted to blame Mike Brown for the past several losing seasons. Which is fair as long as he also gets credit for the winning seasons as well. To ignore one and not the other is unfair and illogical.

- Here's where I directly address your list of a whopping 3 guys out of, what(?), over 100?... and 2 of which were brought in during Marvin's time. So.... only 1 guy you brought up was even relevant to the conversation. Regardless, your point is stupid (shocker), so I'll crap on all 3 of your examples. Good thing I'm not a lawyer in Butt-Hump, TN, or wherever you dwell. You'd starve.

- When Jim Turner was hired by the Bengals I googled the court case regarding his "issues" and read through every single string of txt message conversations and instances submitted in the case between Jonathan Martin & the NFL/Dolphins/Incognito/Turner. I spent a lot of time on it and came to the conclusion that the entire thing was BS by Martin, who has some deep personal issues. If you read through the entirety of that stuff, Martin comes across as a nut job for taking up the position that he was harassed as he alleged. Not even close.

As someone who grew up and spent over half of my life playing an extremely competitive and extremely stressful sport - coached by professional coaches from both NCAA D1 college, MLS coaches and GMs, semi-professional coaches, and Olympics Development coaches, I can understand when someone with a different background or coaching style conflicts with what you're used to. Or that a guy is crass, "old school", not PC, brutally honest, let's boys be boys and work stuff out between them, pushes buttons, etc etc. Because of his deep rooted, HIDDEN, mental issues Jonathan Martin came across as soft. That's not going to sit well with Jim Turner, who seemed to want to toughen the kid up mentally or, understandably, get him out of there.

If you've never been in those environments, I understand you clutching at your pearls over that stuff, but it happens all the time and players/coaches work it out. But, for some reason, in the case of Jim Turner, someone couldn't work it out. I wonder why???? Oh, wait! Here's why.....

FOR THE RECORD: Jonathan Martin, post NFL drama/career, was proven to have severe mental problems and was arrested for threatening to shoot up a school. He's not all there and it comes across very clearly when you read the txts submitted in that case vs what Martin alleged. So, you can keep calling Jim Turner "low character", but that doesn't hold much water given how things played out in the long run.

FOR THE RECORD: Richie Incognito only sent/left him nasty, threatening voice mails and txts AFTER Martin made his BS, LYING allegations against him, Turner, the Dolphins. If you read the txts, it's clear as day Martin is nuts.

Do I love everything about Jim Turner? Well, frankly, I don't care. The guys playing for him on the Bengals seem to like him just fine. So, to me, that's where the buck stops with that. Who cares about Texas A&M (who hired him TWICE, BTW)?

Zac Taylor also comes across as a super high character guy and he hired him after working with him previously. That's enough for me and should be enough for your salty, Marvin/Andy loving self.

- Joe Mixon was brought in during Marvin's time here, not the current coaching staff... which, as I pointed out earlier - had you been paying attention, was my compare and contrast in the conversation with the other guy who blamed Mike Brown for a "low character" org.

Regardless, Joe Mixon has been an outstanding, enthusiastic Bengal and an A+ pro off the field. Plus, he's an awesome player. For you to call him an "Attention *****" is weak, petty, and makes little sense... especially given the context of the discussion. 

- Bobby Heart is your only, possible saving grace point, but that depends on how sensitive you are and how you look at his resigning AFTER Taylor got here. Because, again - based on the discussion - Bobby Heart was signed while MARVIN was here and re-signed while Taylor was here. If he was an issue, I don't see this coaching staff or org resigning him..... WHICH WAS MY POINT TO THE GUY I WAS RESPONDING TO: THE BENGALS ARE CLEARLY ONLY LOOKING FOR HIGH CHARACTER GUYS SINCE TAYLOR GOT HERE. MARVIN LEFT AND THAT IS A MAJOR, SUPER OBVIOUS CHANGE. TO CONTINUE TO BLAME MIKE BROWN FOR THE LOW CHARACTER SIGNINGS DOESN'T MAKE SENSE!!!!!

I don't care what Bobby Heart's political/religious views are, or his views on masks. Who freaking cares? I also don't care about your TMZ like report on rumors he was "a locker room cancer" on the Giants. Who... F'ing.... Cares about the Giants? If that's where we're at in judging the character of the Bengals locker room, they're basically perfect. To cry about a guy who was last in the Giants locker room 3 1/2 years a go is the most cucked up thing I've ever read on here. My goodness! Snuggles, the Charmin Bear thinks you're too soft.

Definitely agree with Fred ruining this board. I only have two people on ignore, Fred and some guy that was trolling every thread saying Covid was a hoax. Even though I have Fred on ignore I still see his posts ALL the time because he's constantly arguing some nonsense in nearly EVERY thread and people are quoting him to tell him to stop being a argumentative for sake of doing it. I don't come to this board nearly as much as I'd like because of the crazy arguments that guy causes and derails a ton of the threads created here. This place has potential but it's not worth the effort when you know any rational discussion has a great chance of getting derailed. My 2 cents.
Confucius say, he who go to bed with itchy butt wake up with smelly finger.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: This team is starting to remind of the 2000s Bengals - WestCoastBengalsFan - 08-23-2020, 11:53 PM