Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Auden Tate - Breakout Year with Burrow?
(09-07-2020, 07:58 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Except many times I am right while the general consensus here is wrong.

As for Auden Tate I'd be thrilled shitless if he became another Houshmandzadeh type 7th round pick but comparing him to Michael Thomas or Mike Williams is just ridiculous at this point.

Wrong in your eyes does not equal wrong...

And I think where so many disagree with you is in the way a comparison is made and you take that to mean that someone feels player A is as good as player B, when they may only be making a characteristic comparison.  If someone said Ross is like DeShawn Jackson, they aren't saying that Ross has had the career of a guy like Jackson, but only that they have similar size and speed and that Ross could produce like Jackson if all went well.

As for what I said about Tate in relation to Michael Thomas:

He was really good in contested catches. 

What makes him special is his hands and his catch radius.

He is a poor man's Michael Thomas

Is anything stated here untrue?   Did I claim AT had production near MT?  No.  But you can't draw a comparison to anyone (although they are of similar size and athleticism:  Wingspan of 1" greater to Tate, Hand 1 " larger for Thomas, Vertical leap 4" greater for Thomas, 40 time .11 sec faster for Thomas (4.57 vs 4.68).  

Tate has shown an ability to catch some balls that most WRs simply don't catch.  He was a highlight reel last year.  His % doesn't take in to account the accuracy of the pass, either.  If you know anything about a slant (the route Thomas has made a living with), the pass has to be accurate and on time.  

Would Tate have the numbers of Michael Thomas if he played for the Saints and was targeted as a true #1?  Pretty unlikely, and impossible to prove, but what Tate has done is show in NFL games when he is given the opportunity that he has great hands and catch radius as well as executing in contested situations.  

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Auden Tate - Breakout Year with Burrow? - SHRacerX - 09-08-2020, 09:50 AM