Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Zac Taylor...when it's all said and done
Will deserve a statue outside of Paul Brown stadium. Putting together that awful season last year and that franchise saving decision to give Finley a few starts landed the Bengals a future HOF QB. Paving the way for us to land a very desirable head coach next year. When it's all said and done, that 2019 season set up this franchise to win a few super bowls. Cincinnati is a very desirable place for a head coach now. We won't be able to write our history without Zac's contributions. Maybe it was for sight by Tobin...same with his recent string of blown drafts.
Reply/Quote
I'd like to hear what current and former HCs have to say about Cincy being a "desireable" place to coach. Lewis bit his tongue most of the time, only griping about the Ross draft pick in public. If you are a HC and you want to protect your reputation as a professional, you probably want to work with a GM who you believe will assist you. This management brain trust(who hold exclusive GM powers) decided that it would be a good idea to hire a QB coach from a team that made it to a SuperBowl by buying themselves a defense and running the ball more than half of the time. Imagine having to write a muti-page essay explaining why ZT, the least accomplished HC in the league, is deserving of his title. Now imagine if a football GM could write a rebuttal. It wouldn't be pretty. That's only one instance. They've decided to pay out the nose for a RB room that can't run, a substandard RT, and some skill positions. They have indicated no desire to make improvements to their drafting process after years of first round busts. They've shown no interest in trading aging players under the auspices of it "not being their job to improve other teams"(as if a trade is one sided). Their entire process reeks of people who have absolutely no idea what they're doing who have lucked into employing some overachievers in the past(Atkins, Green), but really have no business making football or macro strategic decisions. 

If I'm a head coach I surely would be intrigued by players like Burrow, Higgins, Williams, Pratt, Bates, etc. I would however be reticent to be subordinate to a management team that seems to be committed to doing it their way rather than allowing a team of qualified professionals handle it. I'd be worried that their processes may hamper any potential success and may possibly sabotage my career. 
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 06:03 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: I'd like to hear what current and former HCs have to say about Cincy being a "desireable" place to coach. Lewis bit his tongue most of the time, only griping about the Ross draft pick in public. If you are a HC and you want to protect your reputation as a professional, you probably want to work with a GM who you believe will assist you. This management brain trust(who hold exclusive GM powers) decided that it would be a good idea to hire a QB coach from a team that made it to a SuperBowl by buying themselves a defense and running the ball more than half of the time. Imagine having to write a muti-page essay explaining why ZT, the least accomplished HC in the league, is deserving of his title. Now imagine if a football GM could write a rebuttal. It wouldn't be pretty. That's only one instance. They've decided to pay out the nose for a RB room that can't run, a substandard RT, and some skill positions. They have indicated no desire to make improvements to their drafting process after years of first round busts. They've shown no interest in trading aging players under the auspices of it "not being their job to improve other teams"(as if a trade is one sided). Their entire process reeks of people who have absolutely no idea what they're doing who have lucked into employing some overachievers in the past(Atkins, Green), but really have no business making football or macro strategic decisions. 

If I'm a head coach I surely would be intrigued by players like Burrow, Higgins, Williams, Pratt, Bates, etc. I would however be reticent to be subordinate to a management team that seems to be committed to doing it their way rather than allowing a team of qualified professionals handle it. I'd be worried that their processes may hamper any potential success and may possibly sabotage my career. 

You make good points, I think that ownership will realize the responsibility they now have with burrow. If they don't build around him or protect him, with what happened to Luck, they will be bludgeoned by the media for years. It's already starting.  I think they'll really go for it now. 
Reply/Quote
going back before Obueghi every first rounder got a 5th year. Means most first rounders were hits. We were drafting real well for a 7 year run. 2 bad drafts doesn't ruin all the good especially if Burrow Higgins Sample Bates etc.. all pan out. This season feels different than last year. XSF and Geno may make us look like a decent team again.
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 04:18 PM)Big_Ern Wrote:  Cincinnati is a very desirable place for a head coach now. 

Said nobody.....
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 07:35 PM)GodFather Wrote: Said nobody.....

Would you rather coach Daniel Jones, Sam Darnold, or Joe Burrow? Because those could be a few of the jobs that open up.

Now one of the NY teams could potentially take Lawrence, but if Taylor gets canned I do think there will be interest in coaching here because of Burrow.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 06:03 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: I'd like to hear what current and former HCs have to say about Cincy being a "desireable" place to coach. Lewis bit his tongue most of the time, only griping about the Ross draft pick in public. If you are a HC and you want to protect your reputation as a professional, you probably want to work with a GM who you believe will assist you. This management brain trust(who hold exclusive GM powers) decided that it would be a good idea to hire a QB coach from a team that made it to a SuperBowl by buying themselves a defense and running the ball more than half of the time. Imagine having to write a muti-page essay explaining why ZT, the least accomplished HC in the league, is deserving of his title. Now imagine if a football GM could write a rebuttal. It wouldn't be pretty. That's only one instance. They've decided to pay out the nose for a RB room that can't run, a substandard RT, and some skill positions. They have indicated no desire to make improvements to their drafting process after years of first round busts. They've shown no interest in trading aging players under the auspices of it "not being their job to improve other teams"(as if a trade is one sided). Their entire process reeks of people who have absolutely no idea what they're doing who have lucked into employing some overachievers in the past(Atkins, Green), but really have no business making football or macro strategic decisions. 

He also made a comment about the low salaries for coordinators and position coaches.  I know he tried to bring in Brad Childress, who was interested in joining his staff.  I'm also a firm believer that Guenther left because of increased pay in Oakland.  There have been a handful of positional coaches that I think he could have brought on board or retained if the FO would have been willing to sign bigger contracts.
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 07:25 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: going back before Obueghi every first rounder got a 5th year. Means most first rounders were hits. We were drafting real well for a 7 year run. 2 bad drafts doesn't ruin all the good especially if Burrow Higgins Sample Bates etc.. all pan out. This season feels different than last year. XSF and Geno may make us look like a decent team again.

Ross, Ced, Fisher, price just to name a few. 
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 07:42 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Would you rather coach Daniel Jones, Sam Darnold, or Joe Burrow? Because those could be a few of the jobs that open up.

Now one of the NY teams could potentially take Lawrence, but if Taylor gets canned I do think there will be interest in coaching here because of Burrow.

Burrow isn't enough to offset everything else about the organization... Sorry,  this just isn't realistic... Cincy would be the 3rd choice of them and the 2 New York teams without a doubt..
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 08:15 PM)Tony Wrote: Burrow isn't enough to offset everything else about the organization... Sorry,  this just isn't realistic... Cincy would be the 3rd choice of them and the 2 New York teams without a doubt..

I think the chance to coach who pff says will be the 2nd best QB in the league in 5 years is enough for many coaches that would've passed on Dalton. 
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 08:15 PM)Tony Wrote: Burrow isn't enough to offset everything else about the organization... Sorry,  this just isn't realistic... Cincy would be the 3rd choice of them and the 2 New York teams without a doubt..

The Jets are complete dumpster fire of an organization. With all due respect you’re wrong.

If I’m a head coach candidate (especially a first time HC) I’m hitching my wagon to Joe Burrow over those other guys and not thinking twice about it. You can’t win in this league without a QB, and we at least have that.

Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 08:48 PM)Big_Ern Wrote: I think the chance to coach who pff says will be the 2nd best QB in the league in 5 years is enough for many coaches that would've passed on Dalton. 

Time will likely tell on this one. It's hard to say how much the "no GM or GM changes" to "Burrow is the best" ratio will work out. 

There is more to it than QB, as attractive a piece as Burrow is.  
Reply/Quote
The ownership of the Jets is pretty bad. Woody Johnson seems like a POS, and they’ve had virtually no success post-Rex Ryan.

Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 06:03 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: I'd like to hear what current and former HCs have to say about Cincy being a "desireable" place to coach. Lewis bit his tongue most of the time, only griping about the Ross draft pick in public. If you are a HC and you want to protect your reputation as a professional, you probably want to work with a GM who you believe will assist you. This management brain trust(who hold exclusive GM powers) decided that it would be a good idea to hire a QB coach from a team that made it to a SuperBowl by buying themselves a defense and running the ball more than half of the time. Imagine having to write a muti-page essay explaining why ZT, the least accomplished HC in the league, is deserving of his title. Now imagine if a football GM could write a rebuttal. It wouldn't be pretty. That's only one instance. They've decided to pay out the nose for a RB room that can't run, a substandard RT, and some skill positions. They have indicated no desire to make improvements to their drafting process after years of first round busts. They've shown no interest in trading aging players under the auspices of it "not being their job to improve other teams"(as if a trade is one sided). Their entire process reeks of people who have absolutely no idea what they're doing who have lucked into employing some overachievers in the past(Atkins, Green), but really have no business making football or macro strategic decisions. 

So Zac isn’t in complete control??
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 09:04 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: The ownership of the Jets is pretty bad. Woody Johnson seems like a POS, and they’ve had virtually no success post-Rex Ryan.

Shoddy ownership is quite the hurdle, to be sure. 
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 09:08 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Shoddy ownership is quite the hurdle, to be sure. 

There’s different kinds though. There’s the Mike Brown’s and Jerry Jones’ who are too hands on, and then there’s owners who are straight up racist scumbags. Who many probably wouldn’t want to associate with.

Reply/Quote
I'm quickly losing hope ZT is the answer.
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 09:51 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I'm quickly losing hope ZT is the answer.

Unless the question is why shouldn’t teams hire position coaches to be a first time head coach

Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 09:05 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: So Zac isn’t in complete control??

Based on Mike Brown's comments about "not making other teams better" with trades and Troy Blackburn's comments on "you just can't criticize" regarding the Hart signing, it would appear that he does not. Did the scouting department change at all under Taylor? Director of player personnel? Is he just letting it ride? Or is there an organizational structure in which he plays some sort of a subordinate role to someone? 
Reply/Quote

The Bengals Organization:

[Image: Crap-Car-Nice-Rims.jpg]

"Sure it's a PoS as a whole, but look at how nice those rims are!"

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote