Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Xavier Williams had a Great Start!
On a more positive-side of things, X-Man 2.0 got the first tackle of the game, then recovered the fumble, then got the next tackle (once the Colts got the ball back) and had our only sack, as well as another QB hit; he also helped plug up the middle with Covington.

It is just one game and he'll never be DJ Reader, but I think we may have something going for our DT rotation, in the coming years (if we hold onto him, of course).

Covington and X-Man 2.0 were traded/signed out of necessity, but they have slowly been proving their worth and along with Tupou and Reader, we may be set at NT for a while (though, keeping 4 run-stuffing NTs over UTs/pass rushers, may not be the best thing for a balanced attack).
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
I really like him and Covington as our #3 and #4 DT's they are solid run defenders and vets that don't take plays off. We need to figure out what to do with Geno and start thinking about his replacement, a DT that can collapse a pocket.
Reply/Quote
Hate to be a buzzkill but Williams was on the street for a reason. And practice squads are expanded this year, so that tells us even more.

NFL players lift weights all offseason because there isn't much time for that during the season, given recovery time, working around injuries, etc. That's why any of them will tell you they get weaker as the season progresses. My guess is that Williams, not having been on a roster for a while, was able to devote that time to working out, so he was able to come into the game at peak strength and with fresh legs (and being motivated to make a roster, of course). I think we'll see him level out as the year goes on and not be on the roster next year.
Reply/Quote
Wonder what’s going on with renell Wrenn?

Isn’t Andrew brown on the team too? Why aren’t these guys playing?
Reply/Quote
I’ve noticed guys look good when they first get here and progressively get worse as they get coached up lol. Covington looked awesome at first but is regressing.
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2020, 01:08 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: Wonder what’s going on with renell Wrenn?

Wren is on IR and good question about Brown.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2020, 12:17 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: On a more positive-side of things, X-Man 2.0 got the first tackle of the game, then recovered the fumble, then got the next tackle (once the Colts got the ball back) and had our only sack, as well as another QB hit; he also helped plug up the middle with Covington.

It is just one game and he'll never be DJ Reader, but I think we may have something going for our DT rotation, in the coming years (if we hold onto him, of course).

Covington and X-Man 2.0 were traded/signed out of necessity, but they have slowly been proving their worth and along with Tupou and Reader, we may be set at NT for a while (though, keeping 4 run-stuffing NTs over UTs/pass rushers, may not be the best thing for a balanced attack).

Yeah, we as a fan base and the team should be very excited, in fact over the moon, about Xavier Williams!

A practice squad, released, journeyman who is on his 4th team in 5 years. 

What a story! What a tremendous talent!  Oh My god, we can build off this guy for a decade now!    Thank you for this amazing post!

We are now all Set at NT based on 34 snaps!!!! 

Reply/Quote
(10-19-2020, 12:55 PM)Geno_Can_Dunk Wrote: Hate to be a buzzkill but Williams was on the street for a reason. And practice squads are expanded this year, so that tells us even more.

NFL players lift weights all offseason because there isn't much time for that during the season, given recovery time, working around injuries, etc. That's why any of them will tell you they get weaker as the season progresses. My guess is that Williams, not having been on a roster for a while, was able to devote that time to working out, so he was able to come into the game at peak strength and with fresh legs (and being motivated to make a roster, of course). I think we'll see him level out as the year goes on and not be on the roster next year.

As I said, it's one game, but your assessment isn't fair, IMO.

He played some great games in the playoffs last year with the Chefs and he was one the workout circuit quite a bit this year, not to mention he spent all of camp with the Patriots and played in week 1.

He may be a *bit* fresher, but it's not like he was just sitting on his couch, waiting for a call; the guy is a rotation piece, depth behind Reader at best, but he looked great against a very good oline, yesterday.
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2020, 01:08 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: Wonder what’s going on with renell Wrenn?

Wren is on IR, Andrew Brown played a dozen snaps or so yesterday, has a sack on the year.

(10-19-2020, 01:17 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I’ve noticed guys look good when they first get here and progressively get worse as they get coached up lol. Covington looked awesome at first but is regressing.

False and false; Covington has gotten better as time has gone on.
Reply/Quote