Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Burrow hits against Colts
Looked like the first time he didn't take a beating or run for his life for 3 quarters. Anybody seen the numbers yet on sacks, hits and pressures?

Update: PFF grades out for oline: they counted 9 pressures this week.
Jonah Williams: 79.2
Trey Hopkins: 70.0
Michael Jordan: 67.1
Bobby Hart: 61.9
Alex Redmond: 56.3
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2020, 12:34 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Looked like the first game where he didn't take a beating or run for his life for 3 quarters. Anybody seen the numbers yet on sacks, hits and pressures?

He wasn't running for his life because we ran the ball a bit more and were doing quick slants and quick drop backs. Something this coaching staff couldnt figure out the first 5 games of the season. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2020, 12:38 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: He wasn't running for his life because we ran the ball a bit more and were doing quick slants and quick drop backs. Something this coaching staff couldnt figure out the first 5 games of the season. 

I saw some clean pockets for some deep throws, i.e. the deep one to Higgins and the deep one to Green. Also saw some pressures from the inside and right side, just haven't seen any numbers to backup what my eyes saw, that the line played average enough for a win, which is the best we can currently hope for with this line and staff.
Reply/Quote
Wasn't Indy's defense #1 or #2 coming into this game, and yet Burrow still almost threw for 300 yds again?
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2020, 02:12 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Wasn't Indy's defense #1 or #2 coming into this game, and yet Burrow still almost threw for 300 yds again?

#1 overall.

The right side needs replaced. Maybe MJ has tge talent to be a starter in this league. Maybe.
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2020, 02:12 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Wasn't Indy's defense #1 or #2 coming into this game, and yet Burrow still almost threw for 300 yds again?

He did throw for over 300 yards. Only a 78 QB rating, however. 
Reply/Quote
Love seeing that Jonah grade so high.

The Redmond grade makes me want to puke.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-19-2020, 04:14 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: He did throw for over 300 yards. Only a 78 QB rating, however. 

Yeah, no TDs and INT hurt. However, Mixon dropped one,AJ dropped one that probably would have been a TD and Higgins kept looking behind him slowing himself down.  
Reply/Quote
I really want to point out how wonderful it is seeing Jonah play so well. Watching the tape on him shows a really, really stout pass blocker. It is so helpful to finally have hit on an offensive line pick.
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2020, 04:33 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Yeah, no TDs and INT hurt. However, Mixon dropped one,AJ dropped one that probably would have been a TD and Higgins kept looking behind him slowing himself down.  

Yep, there were certainly opportunities there. It is easy to look at the box score and think Burrow played pretty meh, but he still looked really good. 
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2020, 04:35 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Yep, there were certainly opportunities there. It is easy to look at the box score and think Burrow played pretty meh, but he still looked really good. 

I wouldn’t say it even looks meh. 313 yds and a rushing TD against the #1 defense. The 0 in the passing TD column just doesn’t tell the entire story.

Idk if I was more pissed at Mixon for dropping the easy one, or Higgins for turning around to look behind him. Just run! He takes that to the house and it’s probably Joe’s best highlight to date.

Reply/Quote
(10-19-2020, 04:39 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I wouldn’t say it even looks meh. 313 yds and a rushing TD against the #1 defense. The 0 in the passing TD column just doesn’t tell the entire story.

Idk if I was more pissed at Mixon for dropping the easy one, or Higgins for turning around to look behind him. Just run! He takes that to the house and it’s probably Joe’s best highlight to date.

You're right, I had forgotten he had a rushing TD. I was just looking at the passing stats. He played very well and I'm still excited to watch each game because of him. I just want this coaching staff to be improved on, along with the offensive line. I don't want to see him wasted. 
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2020, 04:42 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: You're right, I had forgotten he had a rushing TD. I was just looking at the passing stats. He played very well and I'm still excited to watch each game because of him. I just want this coaching staff to be improved on, along with the offensive line. I don't want to see him wasted. 

How you forget that spike!

Reply/Quote

As I mentioned late last week, Colts have been doing all their damage up front; despite having good LBs, they don't blitz them or use them in coverage too well, rather they rely on the line to generate a ton of pressure and force the QB to make mistakes.

In keeping with that line of thought, they don't blitz much at all, as we saw yesterday.

Which makes me think of something; maybe the line isn't as bad as we thought? Hart is awful at pass blocking, but we have really only struggled in pass pro against teams that blitz (Browns, Eagles, Ravens), while the line was mediocre against the Chargers, good against the Jags and deceptively good yesterday.

So when we see the coaches boosting the oline guys, is it because they actually are doing well during practices, but struggle when a wrinkle is thrown-in in game situations?

That still falls back onto coaching and having the right guys executing, but it makes me think...
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
It was obvious the OLine played better, Burrow had time and was not pressured on a constant level (all QBs are going to face some pressure at times) and we completed some passes down the field.. It was too bad though we could not execute well after early 2nd quarter. We had 3 out of our next 4 possessions were 3 and out and only scored 3 points in 2nd half with a missed FG and Game ending Int.
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2020, 04:27 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Love seeing that Jonah grade so high.

The Redmond grade makes me want to puke.

Agree. Saw a few people bashing him around here and it's way too soon. He looks good to me so far. I recall Whit saying it takes about 5 years to learn how to play left tackle in the NFL. 
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2020, 04:39 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I wouldn’t say it even looks meh. 313 yds and a rushing TD against the #1 defense. The 0 in the passing TD column just doesn’t tell the entire story.

He was given much better protection and put in a solid game and AJ had some great catches and was excited about finally connecting on a long pass.. was disappointed though we did not move that ball that much after up 21-0 and ended the game with an Int in a crucial situation.  If the line can hold up this weekend, I think they have a chance with a banged up Browns team after the Steeler's beat down and got a feeling Joes does not wont to go 0-2 against Mayfield (if he plays) 
Reply/Quote
They protected Burrow better, but didnt open up holes for Mixon. Still the biggest weakness on the team imo. I predict they are going to struggle with Cleveland and Pissburgh, and then start to look better once we are in an easier part of the schedule.
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2020, 12:34 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Looked like the first time he didn't take a beating or run for his life for 3 quarters. Anybody seen the numbers yet on sacks, hits and pressures?

Update: PFF grades out for oline: they counted 9 pressures this week.
Jonah Williams: 79.2
Trey Hopkins: 70.0
Michael Jordan: 67.1
Bobby Hart: 61.9
Alex Redmond: 56.3

Really liking the progress Jonah is making.. Trey is always solid too.. Great to see. I HOPE they can keep building on it.. I think a couple draft picks and  Solid FA signing towards the O line could go a long way.. I'm starting to worry about the Dline now though too... We have been devastated with injuries there though..
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2020, 04:14 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: He did throw for over 300 yards. Only a 78 QB rating, however. 

Yea but that rating relies on touchdowns a lot. Burrow led 3 touchdown drives. If he tossed 1 yard touchdowns at the end of each of those drives instead of the rushing TDs he'd have a 100+ rating without meaningfully changing his overall performance in the game. 

He had a very nice game on Sunday. 
Reply/Quote