Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
'Bengals need to part ways with Carlos Dunlap, Geno Atkins now'
(10-20-2020, 05:08 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Geno's fellow NFL players selected him  to the Pro Bowl and we had NO ONE on the roster to replace him.

I don't know how many times I've had this discussion, but I'll guess I'll do it one more time.

People often say something like (in response to trading someone like Geno Atkins):  "You think you're going to replace Geno Atkins with a 4th round pick?"

What they're missing is, you're not only getting the draft pick, you're getting the cap space saved as well.  It's Geno Atkins vs. a 4th round pick and around 7 million to spend elswhere in 2020.

You say we had no one to replace him with.  Do you not think we could have replaced his current production with someone under 7 million dollars on the free agency market?

Hell, look at someone like Mike Daniels.  I'm not sure he's any worse a caliber of player than Geno Atkins at this point.  We got him for, what, 2.7 million?

You take the pick, and take the savings, and move on.  Otherwise you're stucking paying 14 million dollars to guy that's probably not even worth 1/3 of that.

And before anyone says hindsight is 20/20, I, along with many others, were squeeling (just for you, Fred) to start  shopping these two guys last year.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: 'Bengals need to part ways with Carlos Dunlap, Geno Atkins now' - Wes Mantooth - 10-20-2020, 05:23 PM