Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
'Bengals need to part ways with Carlos Dunlap, Geno Atkins now'
(10-20-2020, 05:42 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Geno was coming off a Pro Bowl season.

Please quit referencing this fact, as if it actually means something.

The Pro Bowl is nothing but a popularity contest, driven by name recognition.  It's been that way forever, and it's never been more apparent than recently.

Geno Atkins came nowhere close to playing to his contract value last season.  Regardless of whether or not he made the Pro Bowl.  He showed serious decline last season.

When you factor in said decline, his age (32), and the amount remaing on his contract going into 2020 (3 years, 45 million), it made perfect sense to consider moving on sooner rather than later.

This is what good teams do.  Especially when they're in the midst of a rebuild, and are coming off a 2-14 season.  You don't hang on to the past, in hopes old players can transform you into SB contender overnight.  You realize that you need to start building for 2 years and out, and aging players like Dunlap and Atkins don't fit into long-term plans.

To each their own, I could simply point to the fact that everything about this season points to people like me being right all along, and people like you being completely wrong, and now look more foolish than ever.  But I won't do that.  I'll be the bigger man here. 
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: 'Bengals need to part ways with Carlos Dunlap, Geno Atkins now' - Wes Mantooth - 10-20-2020, 06:05 PM