Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Ngakoue traded to Ravens...what could Bengals' players fetch?
(10-23-2020, 11:08 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Comp picks are primarily based of number of players signed vs number of players who left.
So if the Bengals just sign 2 studs and 1 mediocre guy (or backup) but have 5 players walk, they should be eligible to receive 2 comp picks.
With all the guys the Bengals have set to hit FA this year, there's a good chance they end up with comp picks even if they do sign a couple new guys from outside.

I get that the comp picks are based on the numbers of players signed versus the number of players who have left, but if we have 5 good players walk (and if a player isn't good, are they attracting a comp pick?) we'll need to replace those 5 guys. 

That's on top of replacing at least two O-linemen.

We then need to move on from Dunlap so he'll need to be replaced as well.

That's then 8 players we need to find in the off-season, with two studs and a back-up being our total business in FA. That leaves us not only needing to hit on every player in the first 5/6 rounds of the draft but those players being ready to contribute immediately and not needing a year of development, which doesn't seem a winning strategy.

The other point is that if we're only getting picks for the weakest two of the five, we're probably only talking about 7th round comp picks. I'll take them, but I'm not basing my free agency strategy around them. It's the comp picks in the 3rd to 5th that matter and allow you to rebuild. Players like Darius Phillips, Marvin Jones, George Iloka who you can get and develop to start in a few years' time. There will be a high bust rate but when you hit it allows you an extra cost controlled player.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Ngakoue traded to Ravens...what could Bengals' players fetch? - TJHoushmandzadeh's Shiny Shoes - 10-23-2020, 01:09 PM