Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Changes
So here we are two days past and no changes. Shocking...

Yes it's the Bengals and this is how things go on the regular. I thought we were working towards changing that or at least that's what was being sold with Taylor coming in, an active free agency, changing the culture etc.

Does the fact that no changes have taken place two days after the BS we watched harm things further? I get we are still another game out from the bye week. To me change should have been Monday morning with Lou being fired and Dunlap being traded for whatever anyone was willing to give or cut. Both should not still be here today as I'm writing this. Dump both, pick a side, make a statement of some kind and let the fans know someone gives a damn.

Even if a change is made at the bye week, why wait? IMO if there is one capable staff member to call one game you do it Monday or even Sunday after the game. Waiting waters down the message you need to send.

Not buying the excuse that we need more time to make a change like that or someone without experience would be worse. Even if someone was able to pull off that impressive feat, I wouldn't even care. At least it's someone else meaning a message was sent.

Where does everyone else stand on this? I so badly want to watch Joe every week but feel like the organization doesn't deserve my time if they refuse to ever hold anyone accountable for anything. Watching the D against the Titans will be infuriating.
Reply/Quote
Bengals are stingy, there are going to bide their time as long as close as they can to the trade deadline. They did this with Palmer and it paid off for them. I agree with you though, should’ve sent a message.

As for Lou, I think they are just waiting until after the next game so that the interim coach has the bye week to work with. Doesn’t really matter honestly cuz the D can’t do much worse than it has but that’s the way I think they are going there.
Reply/Quote
I would have shown Lou the door Sunday night.
CARSON WENTZ, BAKER MAYFIELD PHILLIP RIVERS HAVE
BEAT THIS DEFENSE IN THE 4th QUARTER.
if the DC had did his job proper this team would be 4 and 3.

And yeah change can make a difference at mid season.
I watched Hue Jackson get fired for Gregg Williams and the
The Browns I think went 6 and 2 the rest of the way in Mayfields
Rookie season.

Face the facts Bengals FO....Anarumo isnt getting better as a DC.
Hes getting worse
Now all the pressure is on Burrow to throw for 300 per game
Just to give this team a chance to win.
Oh BTW lets hope JB doesnt have a dead arm.or shoulder elbow
Injury by years end throwing the ball 50 times a game
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2020, 12:58 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Face the facts Bengals FO....Anarumo isnt getting better as a DC.
Hes getting worse

Simply stated, his starting lineup is getting worse.  Has to count for something, right?  When in a rebuild, do we follow the Cleveland model and change coaches constantly?  Seems history shows that to be a bad idea.  Early in the season, our defense seemed to be the only thing keeping us in games.  Then players start dropping, which certainly does happen.  But the bottom line is the rebuild simply isn't complete.  I'm not huge Lou supporter, but I do think he showed he was capable early in the season...
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2020, 01:09 PM)wildcatnku24 Wrote: Simply stated, his starting lineup is getting worse.  Has to count for something, right?  When in a rebuild, do we follow the Cleveland model and change coaches constantly?  Seems history shows that to be a bad idea.  Early in the season, our defense seemed to be the only thing keeping us in games.  Then players start dropping, which certainly does happen.  But the bottom line is the rebuild simply isn't complete.  I'm not huge Lou supporter, but I do think he showed he was capable early in the season...
Yes he's been hit hard with injuries. Thats fact.
But then its up to the coaches and coordinators when injury
Hits to adapt your scheme to the talent at hand 

I watched Pittsburgh play the Bengals minus Ben...Conner..Schuster...
Roll out a offense with Rudolph, Samuels, and the Easter Bunny 
And they still stomped all over Lou AmI-runover defense
The Steelers just adapted and conquered. 

If Lou was fired today you think he would get another DC gig..?
Heck no. 
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2020, 12:26 PM)iLLuSi0nz Wrote: So here we are two days past and no changes. Shocking...

Yes it's the Bengals and this is how things go on the regular. I thought we were working towards changing that or at least that's what was being sold with Taylor coming in, an active free agency, changing the culture etc.

Does the fact that no changes have taken place two days after the BS we watched harm things further? I get we are still another game out from the bye week. To me change should have been Monday morning with Lou being fired and Dunlap being traded for whatever anyone was willing to give or cut. Both should not still be here today as I'm writing this. Dump both, pick a side, make a statement of some kind and let the fans know someone gives a damn.

Even if a change is made at the bye week, why wait? IMO if there is one capable staff member to call one game you do it Monday or even Sunday after the game. Waiting waters down the message you need to send.

Not buying the excuse that we need more time to make a change like that or someone without experience would be worse. Even if someone was able to pull off that impressive feat, I wouldn't even care. At least it's someone else meaning a message was sent.

Where does everyone else stand on this? I so badly want to watch Joe every week but feel like the organization doesn't deserve my time if they refuse to ever hold anyone accountable for anything. Watching the D against the Titans will be infuriating.

It's clear ownership has given Taylor a lot of decision-making power.
And I think it really comes down to him whether what coaches/players stay and for how long.
So I think if Taylor doesn't want to move on yet, the team won't move on yet.

I do think this team was incredibly embarrassed for being worst in the league last year with just 2 wins.
I think the team is not willing to risk making changes at the cost of ending up as the worst team in the league again, so they will try to keep continuity, at least until they can ensure they are not drafting 1st overall again.

This kind of goes against my (flawed?) approach that if you're not going to make the playoffs, you need to start trying to get the best draft pick possible and free up as much cap as possible in prep for next year. Yes, it could make the team worse the rest of this year, but the year is lost anyway.
And while the Bengals are not technically eliminated from playoff contention yet, all teams in the division have 5+ wins, so even making the last wildcard spot is improbable.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
We will have to go into the bye week losing another game with our defense giving up gaudy stats.

Don't worry, Darius Phillips will go on Instagram bragging about his interception!

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
For better or worse, the Bengals (and Taylor) tend not to over-react. They'll give Lou a chance to redeem himself.

He's got a tough challenge this week. He's likely digging himself a deeper hole. But the schedule does get a lot easier after the bye. If they don't make a change after (I'm assuming) another poor showing this week, we do run the risk of the defense actually playing well against the scrub teams (and then maybe they decide to keep Lou around next year).

I like the player moves Lou has made on D this off season. Hasn't panned out though. I'd rather see a better play-caller out there. I'd rather see a cohesive unit that doesn't have players wanting to jump ship.
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2020, 01:21 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Yes he's been hit hard with injuries. Thats fact.

Heck no. 

I can't disagree with any of this.  You're right for sure!  But do I think Jack Del Rio or Wade Phillips could do any better with this group of folks?  Not really.  What makes me nervous is we started last year with mostly Marvin guys, his philosophy on defense, etc.  Lou clearly has differing style, and we've seen changes, to include bringing in specific people (That sadly aren't healthy).  If we bring in some new DC, what's to say the players we have now don't fit in their style?  Maybe it takes a few years of cleaning house defensively and getting the guys you want that fit.  On the flip side, they should be able to leverage the talent they have/inspire players to play within their scheme.  I sadly don't have answers.  
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2020, 01:21 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Yes he's been hit hard with injuries. Thats fact.

Heck no. 

True but the Easter Bunny is All Pro. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2020, 12:58 PM)impactplaya Wrote: I would have shown Lou the door Sunday night.
CARSON WENTZ, BAKER MAYFIELD PHILLIP RIVERS HAVE  
BEAT THIS DEFENSE IN THE 4th QUARTER.
if the DC had did his job proper this team would be 4 and 3.

And yeah change can make a difference at mid season.
I watched  Hue Jackson get fired for Gregg Williams and the
The Browns I think went 6 and 2 the rest of the way in Mayfields
Rookie season.

Face the facts Bengals FO....Anarumo isnt getting better as a DC.
Hes getting worse
Now all the pressure is on Burrow to throw for 300 per game
Just to give this team a chance to win.
Oh BTW lets hope JB doesnt have a dead arm.or shoulder elbow
Injury by years end throwing the ball 50 times a game

Let's hope he gets through the next two games without an injury. I've watched both of theses defenses at least twice this season. It's going to be tough sledding with this oline.
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2020, 01:47 PM)wildcatnku24 Wrote:   Maybe it takes a few years of cleaning house defensively and getting the guys you want that fit. 

This staff has had two drafts and two years of free agency to turn the roster around and it is still performing WORSE than when he to k over.

If the team had trended up each year then I might be willing to give him another year, but so far it has nothing but get worse.
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2020, 01:47 PM)wildcatnku24 Wrote: I can't disagree with any of this.  You're right for sure!  But do I think Jack Del Rio or Wade Phillips could do any better with this group of folks?  Not really.  What makes me nervous is we started last year with mostly Marvin guys, his philosophy on defense, etc.  Lou clearly has differing style, and we've seen changes, to include bringing in specific people (That sadly aren't healthy).  If we bring in some new DC, what's to say the players we have now don't fit in their style?  Maybe it takes a few years of cleaning house defensively and getting the guys you want that fit.  On the flip side, they should be able to leverage the talent they have/inspire players to play within their scheme.  I sadly don't have answers.  
Intresting enough......does .this defense have a identity
Under Anarumo that.you even speak postive about?

I can live with giving up 27 points a game. What kills me 
Is that when its all on.the line do or die Lou cant create a stop
When it matters the most. 
He's let no name WRs  punk this defense over and over
Greg Ward Jr...Donavan Jones....Rashad Higgins..
And again TEs have cashed in....Andrews....Bryant...Ertz.

If Phillips or Del Rio were they could still scheme up a plan Sunday. They have been.through adverse conditions 
Not Lou. You never hire a 1st time DC with a new HC.
Too.much learning on.the job at one time.
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2020, 02:32 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This staff has had two drafts and two years of free agency to turn the roster around and it is still performing WORSE than when he to k over.

If the team had trended up each year then I might be willing to give him another year, but so far it has nothing but get worse.

If all things were equal, this would be a fair statement.  However, all things aren't even close to equal.  We let go of DreK (thank gosh) and got Waynes.  At the very worst, he'd be comparable with DreK, but I think the goal was he'd be better.  Imagine if we had those two (WJAX and Waynes) on the boundaries.  I imagine we'd be singing Lou's praises, or at the very least seeing an improvement this year.  However, aren't we already seeing an improvement?  I believe we've done much better this year at stopping the run, and have gotten turnovers despite near-zero pass rush.  We said it last year, it all starts up front.  Perhaps for the draft this year we invest in our trenches, O and D.  Something tells me that's the real change with need.

I won't be upset if they let go of Lou, as I understand business.  But I won't be upset if he gets what I'd consider a fair crack at it next year with the entire team he intended to field.  
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2020, 02:38 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Intresting enough......does .this defense have a identity
Under Anarumo that.you even speak postive about?

I can live with giving up 27 points a game. What kills me 
Is that when its all on.the line do or die Lou cant create a stop
When it matters the most. 
He's let no name WRs  punk this defense over and over
Greg Ward Jr...Donavan Jones....Rashad Higgins..
And again TEs have cashed in....Andrews....Bryant...Ertz.

If Phillips or Del Rio were they could still scheme up a plan Sunday. They have been.through adverse conditions 
Not Lou. You never hire a 1st time DC with a new HC.
Too.much learning on.the job at one time.

Injured?
Reply/Quote