Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Joe Burrow weekly Ranking Cancelled
I think perhaps the most impressive statistic of his is an often overlooked one, completion percentage.

Obviously yards and TD's are incredibly important numbers, I'm not saying they're not. But that is a strong percentage for a rookie, especially considering his lack of time to throw throughout most of the season.

If you look at most QB's, you'll see their completion % slowly creep up early in their career. Here is a list of examples, starting in year 1, followed by year 2, and career average:

Peyton Manning - 56.7, 62.1, 66.3
Drew Brees - 55.6, 60.8, 67.7
Andrew Luck - 54.1, 60.2, 60.8

Most QB's struggle to see the field early in their career, or the game is simply to fast, and as a result their completion % suffers. They either rush throws, or they don't go through all of the reads. When the game starts to slow down a bit for them their completion % goes up.

Rarely do QB's regress in this department. As they age these numbers either improve or flatten out.

Like I said, 67% is extremely healthy. Give him more time to throw, more experience, and better seperation from his receivers, and thsi can only get better.

Couple this with the lack of INT's, and it's even a better indicator of success. He's not forcing the ball a great deal, nor is making a ton of bonehead errors.

What you're left with is a high % and low turnover rate. What this usally spells is a QB that can completely dissect a defense. Look no further than Drew Brees. Arm is shot, and he's over the age of 40. Yet he's been throwing up 5 straight 70%+ with sub 10 INT's and just methodically dismantling defenses. You add a better arm to that, a more mobile QB, and you've got a super weapon.

This kid has been outstanding thus far. I'm not going to go nuts and say he's the next Joe Montana or anything like that. We'll have to see where his ceiling is. But he's billed as advertised. We could not realistically expect any better than what we're getting right now.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Joe Burrow weekly Ranking Cancelled - Wes Mantooth - 11-03-2020, 11:47 AM