Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Argument for and against Sewell.
The argument for Sewell is easy. He’s a stud tackle that’s gonna be a top 5-7 tackle for the next decade plus. He’s gonna be damn good. He’s good at everything little to no weakness and could be there next Andrew whit worth. Argument against. If we’re picking #3 choice is clear it’s Sewell. But some like me are a fan of trading back. If the price is right. Say dolphins. 11, 42, and next years 1st. Thats 3 top 42 picks. That’s for sure worth it. Getting a top tackle and guard i plus a top defensive player either dlineman or cb in this years class would be worthy it. Dream would be Wyatt Davis, Asante Samuel, Alex leatherwood, and twyman first 3 rounds.
Reply/Quote
Sewell is a no brainer if he’s there when we pick. I’m more interested in what we should do if he’s not, and no trade offers come (or aren’t worth moving back for). I guess if Lawrence and Sewell go 1 & 2 some QB needy team could offer a haul to get Fields, but I don’t think the offers would be as good as they will be for Lawrence.

Personally I’d probably just draft Chase at 3 in that scenario. We’re not off to a good start in keeping Burrow happy, but I’m sure he’d love to be reunited with Chase. And he’s exactly what our offense needs (other than better OL play and a playmaking TE).
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(11-27-2020, 04:30 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Sewell is a no brainer if he’s there when we pick. I’m more interested in what we should do if he’s not, and no trade offers come (or aren’t worth moving back for). I guess if Lawrence and Sewell go 1 & 2 some QB needy team could offer a haul to get Fields, but I don’t think the offers would be as good as they will be for Lawrence.

Personally I’d probably just draft Chase at 3 in that scenario. We’re not off to a good start in keeping Burrow happy, but I’m sure he’d love to be reunited with Chase. And he’s exactly what our offense needs (other than better OL play and a playmaking TE).

I prefer the trade back but u know that lol. there a gap between leatherwood and Sewell obviously. But if u can get say 7 combined all pros between Davis and leatherwood? I’ll take that over 10 all pros from Sewell.
Reply/Quote
Gee thanks. I thought I had this figured out. Now I am not sure. Tongue
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2020, 04:06 AM)Jpoore Wrote: The argument for Sewell is easy. He’s a stud tackle that’s gonna be a top 5-7 tackle for the next decade plus. He’s gonna be damn good. He’s good at everything little to no weakness and could be there next Andrew whit worth. Argument against. If we’re picking #3 choice is clear it’s Sewell. But some like me are a fan of trading back. If the price is right. Say dolphins. 11, 42, and next years 1st. Thats 3 top 42 picks. That’s for sure worth it. Getting a top tackle and guard i plus a top defensive player either dlineman or cb in this years class would be worthy it. Dream would be Wyatt Davis, Asante Samuel, Alex leatherwood, and twyman first 3 rounds.

I think the big difference is that with the cap issue surrounding much of the NFL is that draft picks will be treated like gold this season...more so than in the past.  Last year, it was rumored that Detroit wanted to trade back but got no offers (at least not good ones).  I doubt the Bengals get the haul they are hoping for and, since they benched Finley already, the odds of them eeking out a win down the stretch just improved dramatically.  

I am hoping we are picking at #3 (anything higher isn't realistic, but would be great) and we will either take Sewell and put him at RT or take Chase.  I am hoping for the latter.  
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2020, 12:13 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I think the big difference is that with the cap issue surrounding much of the NFL is that draft picks will be treated like gold this season...more so than in the past.  Last year, it was rumored that Detroit wanted to trade back but got no offers (at least not good ones).  I doubt the Bengals get the haul they are hoping for and, since they benched Finley already, the odds of them eeking out a win down the stretch just improved dramatically.  

I am hoping we are picking at #3 (anything higher isn't realistic, but would be great) and we will either take Sewell and put him at RT or take Chase.  I am hoping for the latter.  

You should not rule out Sewell at LT. Jonah played some RT (I think as a freshman?). I believe Sewell has always been at LT.

Reply/Quote
(11-27-2020, 12:20 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: You should not rule out Sewell at LT. Jonah played some RT (I think as a freshman?). I believe Sewell has always been at LT.

I just think you start fresh with Sewell at RT and don't disrupt Jonah's development at LT.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2020, 04:06 AM)Jpoore Wrote: The argument for Sewell is easy. He’s a stud tackle that’s gonna be a top 5-7 tackle for the next decade plus. He’s gonna be damn good. He’s good at everything little to no weakness and could be there next Andrew whit worth. Argument against. If we’re picking #3 choice is clear it’s Sewell. But some like me are a fan of trading back. If the price is right. Say dolphins. 11, 42, and next years 1st. Thats 3 top 42 picks. That’s for sure worth it. Getting a top tackle and guard i plus a top defensive player either dlineman or cb in this years class would be worthy it. Dream would be Wyatt Davis, Asante Samuel, Alex leatherwood, and twyman first 3 rounds.

I don't think you would get a first next year on top of 11 and 42.  
Reply/Quote
A lot depends on what we do in the off-season and what the cap will be next season. If we sign Lawson & Jackson with room left over to sign both Hubbard and Bates then drafting Sewell makes most sense.
If you don't sign those two guys then things become a lot more dicey. LT or RT wouldn't be the biggest needs on the team + you would have a defense that just lost its #1 CB & #1 pass rusher. No matter how good the offense actually is you're not going to compete with that terrible of a defense.
The safe bet is they Draft Sewell and not look back.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2020, 05:48 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I don't think you would get a first next year on top of 11 and 42.  

They would get more than 42; probably 50 and a 2022 2nd. According to the chart there is a reasonable chance that they could get 11&17.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Argument against:

He took a pass on the season.

Argument for:

Has dominate measurables.

I would have liked to see him get a little more experience against some non-Pac 10 competition.

I'd love to see the NFL do something different this year with their Senior Bowl. Perhaps an "All Star Game" where all who want to go into the draft can play if invited.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(11-27-2020, 04:37 AM)Jpoore Wrote: I prefer the trade back but u know that lol. there a gap between leatherwood and Sewell obviously. But if u can get say 7 combined all pros between Davis and leatherwood? I’ll take that over 10 all pros from Sewell.

Dude, 10 All Pros = Hall of Fame

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Penei Sewell isn't just the best Offensive Tackle in the draft class... he is the best non-QB prospect in the draft class.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(11-27-2020, 10:10 PM)Synric Wrote: Penei Sewell isn't just the best Offensive Tackle in the draft class... he is the best non-QB prospect in the draft class.

And that's why you pencil him in at LT and move Jonah over to the right side. 

He has some experience there and he's been in the league and could make the move much easier. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
There is no argument against Sewell. If he's there, you take him.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2020, 10:17 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: And that's why you pencil him in at LT and move Jonah over to the right side. 

He has some experience there and he's been in the league and could make the move much easier. 

And then you put a solid veteran at Left Guard like resigning Spain.

This draft is also looks deep a Offensive Guard so a rookie Right Guard wouldn't be out of the question and that would be better next to a slightly more experienced Jonah Williams at Right Tackle.

Drafting Sewell and Resigning Spain would be huge for Joe Burrow.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(11-27-2020, 10:17 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: And that's why you pencil him in at LT and move Jonah over to the right side. 

Or, if the team is as stacked with tackle depth as some suggest (Jonah, Hart, Adeniji), you might even look at Jonah playing inside.  Some scouting reports suggested he could play anywhere, center included.  

You could have a line of Sewell, Jonah, Trey, Spain, Hart/Adeniji.  

Not perhaps the outcome you aim for, but still perhaps viable.  I'd personally like to see Sewell and Spain together in the left side creating a wall of mass monsters on the blind side that can maul in the run game to boot.

Sewell, Spain, Hopkins, XSF, Williams with Adeniji as the swing tackle would be interesting, too.  
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2020, 10:30 PM)samhain Wrote: Or, if the team is as stacked with tackle depth as some suggest (Jonah, Hart, Adeniji), you might even look at Jonah playing inside.  Some scouting reports suggested he could play anywhere, center included.  

You could have a line of Sewell, Jonah, Trey, Spain, Hart/Adeniji.  

Not perhaps the outcome you aim for, but still perhaps viable.  I'd personally like to see Sewell and Spain together in the left side creating a wall of mass monsters on the blind side that can maul in the run game to boot.

Sewell, Spain, Hopkins, XSF, Williams with Adeniji as the swing tackle would be interesting, too.  

I like it. TBH, i like it better if Hart and Adeniji (at least for another year) are backups. Jonah has done a good job on the outside and there's no question he'd be an upgrade to Hart over there and my personal preference is Spain at LG.

Reply/Quote
(11-27-2020, 10:10 PM)Synric Wrote: Penei Sewell isn't just the best Offensive Tackle in the draft class... he is the best non-QB prospect in the draft class.

He’s not even the unanimous ot1. If some team gives u a haul with the holes we have u take it.
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2020, 04:36 AM)Jpoore Wrote: He’s not even the unanimous ot1. If some team gives u a haul with the holes we have u take it.

[Image: mdl.gif]

Reply/Quote