Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does Quinton Spain fit the blocking scheme?
(12-15-2020, 03:17 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I totally get what you mean in regards to run blocking. But I thought there was a distinct difference between zone and man blocking in the passing game too.

As such, help me understand this situation then that we've seen multiple times this year...
An OL (e.g. Bobby Hart) doesn't stay engaged in his block during a pass set. When he disengages (if he engages at all), the defender seems to go right by him. Does that mean that the RG didn't do what he was supposed to do? Or did the RT disengage when he should have stayed engaged?

Does that style of pass blocking not fall under the definition of scheme?

I always thought that in man blocking for pass protection, you basically block your assigned guy. And in zone blocking for pass protection, you stick to your area and pass off any defenders who leave your area and go into someone else's area.

This all gets really complex to explain in writing versus speaking so forgive me if this gets a little mixed up. I am not any expert in O line play, I focus more on QB's and perimeter players but with that said...

That is the B.O.B and slide (Combo is a mix). So for instance, the play everyone tweeted about against Miami where a guy runs right between Spain and Hart was because of a protection change. It was initially Big on Big to start so Spain thought he had the tackle and Hart had the end with the back potentially picking up the outside blitzer. They checked the call to "Ringo" or a slide right, so Hart went outside to the potentially blitzing CB with just a quick check to the end expecting Spain to block down to the end. The Center comes down on the tackle leaving Spain essentially helping inside then watching the end run by untouched.

This is kind of a vague description and a video would better example would help. It could be a technique thing, as I don't understand what you mean exactly in disengage, where he could be resetting off a spin move. On a spin move staying engaged is part of what makes the move work so by resetting you counter the move. The other thing is it could potentially be a protection call issue kind of like what was said above where he thought he had slide protection and was essentially just helping on his way to work outside and help never came inside. 

There are different kinds of pass sets people will reference at times but I don't really consider those to be schemes as they tend to be a part of all schemes in some way in the NFL. Most times when guys get beat it's because of poor technique, the set was trying to get them in position better but good technique from any set will still win, which brings me back to it is usually a player problem not set or scheme issue.

Nah. It can seem that way sometimes when you see an O lineman standing blocking air but usually, that occurs because of a ID'ing issue where a potential Blitzer was ID'd and never came so he is left waiting for something that never happened. Like I said the only time there is really a "zone" blocking principal is on a slide and while it kind of is block spaces there are still principals based on where the "mike" was ID'd and who you are expecting to block. 
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Does Quinton Spain fit the blocking scheme? - Au165 - 12-15-2020, 03:45 PM