Poll: Would you make the trade
Yes
No
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.25 Average
Would you trade Burrow for Watson
(01-14-2021, 11:14 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: True. But that situation in Houston was caused, in large part, by the incompetence of Bill O'Brien. The reason he had to trade a king's ransom for Tunsil was because, a few years earlier, they traded their pro bowl LT, Duane Brown for pennies on the dollar (a 2nd rounder and a 3rd rounder for an elite LT). This, obviously, left a massive hole on the line that they needed to fill, in desperation, with a guy in the last year of his deal. Since they just traded so many picks for him, he knew they needed to re-sign him at any cost and he gouged them for it (to the tune of 66 million dollars over 3 years). Brown, by the way, is still playing at a high level in Seattle and only costs them 34.5 million over 3 years.

Then, they traded their best receiver for a washed up RB with a huge salary (11 million in 2020, 9 million in 2021) and a 2nd round pick. Then, in a draft filled with Wide Receiver talent, they traded their 2nd round pick for a WR with a contract worth 8 million in 2020, 12 million in 2021, 13 million in 2022 and 14 million in 2023. Don't get me wrong, Cooks is a fine WR but he's not elite and that money is absurd for what he provides, especially when they could have drafted Van Jefferson, Devin Duvernay or Denzel Mims with that pick and paid a fraction of that cost.

So, within 5 years, they threw away a pro bowl tackle, desperation signed another tackle to whatever number he asked for, threw away their best offensive weapon, picked up an insanely overpriced RB and then traded a high value pick in a WR heavy draft for an overpaid WR.

The reason I say all this is, the Texans' falling to a 4 win team doesn't really have anything to do with his contract. They were a mess before he even signed the contract. They fell to a 4 win team because Bill O'Brien made, conceivably, every awful decision a GM can possibly make in regards to player personnel before finally being fired.

I really enjoyed watching this video about the team's collapse and how it was caused by BoB

I have to completely disagree with this point.  They knew Watson was a star and they had to make some of those moves in preparation for his contract, and the mere presence of his contract makes if very difficult to solve any way but through the draft.  I agree, though, that they made some real bone-headed moves.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Would you trade Burrow for Watson - SHRacerX - 01-14-2021, 01:33 PM