Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paul Dehner - 'Will Bengals invest in offensive line?'
He says they are expected to 'cut Bobby Hart at some point' and he also thinks they won't bring Finney back, so that will clear up an additional 9m in cap space.

He says they want to bring back Spain, if possible...are hoping Pollack can 'elicit more out of Michael Jordan'...and he sees XSF as being a 'serviceable piece'.

He thinks that RT will be the starting point when comes to the o-line, and that RT Taylor Moton is the guy they may 'open up the wallet' for...with Buffalo's Daryl Williams being the 2nd option. They could also wait and try to land Sewell or Slater in the draft.

At G, he mentions how much guys like Thuney and Scherff would command, with both on tap to get huge deals. He mentions scanning the 2nd and 3rd wave of FA guards like Pittsburgh’s Matt Feiler, Buffalo’s Jon Feliciano, Chicago’s Germain Ifiedi, or a potential cap casualty like maybe Gabe Jackson from LV.

As he points out, they are definitely going to have some options when it comes to bolstering the line and making sure Burrow is better protected going forward.

So, what do you think? What route would you take? 

https://theathletic.com/2321179/2021/01/19/will-cincinnati-bengals-invest-in-offensive-line-inside-the-decision-of-the-offseason/
Reply/Quote
I like what I'm hearing so far.

Hart was horrible. He shouldn't have been out there sidestepping attackers. I like Spain and xsf.

As far as free agents, I doubt we go after a big one, but I like feliciano. The biggest issue, I think, is going to be tackle. Jonah can't stay healthy so we are going to have to get at least one of the top ones in the draft and we'll still need to add some depth for when jonah goes down.
Reply/Quote
The more I read from various people, the more certain I am getting that nothing game changing will really happen with the OL.

Jonah/M Johnson/Price/XSF/RT

If the Bengals don't get Sewell in the draft, and barring injury, that's most likely going to be the Game 1 starting OL for 2021 and it'll be as good as a forfeit to the season.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2021, 04:54 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: The more I read from various people, the more certain I am getting that nothing game changing will really happen with the OL.

If the Bengals don't get Sewell in the draft, and barring injury, that's most likely going to be the Game 1 starting OL for 2021 and it'll be as good as a forfeit to the season.

i didnt watch a ton this season... But had Jonah earned the LT spot to the point we are happy?
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2021, 04:54 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: The more I read from various people, the more certain I am getting that nothing game changing will really happen with the OL.

They also continue to mention bringing Spain back and they are also mentioning other veteran for the interior. They could also draft a lineman as early as day two. If they sign Moton or Daryl Williams it opens up the top of thr draft for them.

Jonah Williams, XSF, Price, Spain, Moton.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2021, 05:12 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: i didnt watch a ton this season... But had Jonah earned the LT spot to the point we are happy?

I think Jonah was fine this year, although he has gotten injured two years in a row now which could be a concern. There are a lot of people talking about moving Jonah, but it's mostly because of how highly viewed Sewell is as a prospect and it's usually in reference to him being drafted.

Saw Joe Goodberry tweeted something relevant to this topic today. Jonah's play this year was pretty comparable to Whitworth's first year starting, but Jonah is also 2 years younger than Whitworth was when he first started.

Goodberry on Twitter: "Andrew Whitworth's first year with the Bengals, he played 770 snaps (694 at LT & 438 pass blocking). Whitworth allowed 22 pressures, gave up 6 sacks and was charged for 7 penalties. PFF gave Whitworth a 70.8 overall grade with a 79.0 in pass protection and 61.5 in run blocking." / Twitter

Goodberry on Twitter: "Jonah Williams' first year playing he saw 634 snaps (All at LT & 429 pass blocking). Jonah allowed 20 pressures and 3 sacks and was charged with 2 penalties. PFF gave Williams a 70.1 overall grade with a 75.8 in pass protection and a 53.4 in run blocking." / Twitter
Reply/Quote
Honestly Paul sounds like a national media guy that says what the Bengals should do instead of what the Bengals will do.
In all honesty I just don't see the Bengals cutting Hart( they should) after his best year as a starter. The front office has stuck through him when he has been laughably bad but now I'm supposed to believe they will cut him now?
Also they need two starting Guards. My prediction is they sign starter who is cut this off-season and draft a guy in the 2nd or third to start come September.
I could see them addressing RT in the draft but the guy won't be given starting position unless it's Sewell.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2021, 05:12 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: i didnt watch a ton this season... But had Jonah earned the LT spot to the point we are happy?

I don't know if I see a high ceiling on him, but he's certainly not going to bring you down.... provided he's healthy. He's been hurt 3 times now in 2 years, so it's legitimately starting to be a bit of concern.

Unless Pollack does something great with him and it turns out Turner was holding him back somehow, my prediction is he will fall in between Boling and Zeitler as far as production goes... again, assuming he stays healthy. So maybe more of an Andre Smith without the peak and without the valley? 

(01-19-2021, 05:15 PM)Synric Wrote: They also continue to mention bringing Spain back and they are also mentioning other veteran for the interior. They could also draft a lineman as early as day two. If they sign Moton or Daryl Williams it opens up the top of thr draft for them.

Jonah Williams, XSF, Price, Spain, Moton.

Moton is likely staying in Carolina. Don't see them getting a QB in the first round (which I think is on the table for them) and then letting their OL leave.

Williams/XSF/Price/Spain/2nd Round RT is still a terrible OL. Price has no business on a football field and I only like Spain/XSF if there's only one of them potentially getting a starting spot. Spain or XSF can be your 5th best OL on a good starting OL. You can't have Spain AND XSF starting on an OL, and expect it to be any good.

Reply/Quote
One reason they may be thinking about cutting or moving Hart is they wound up having to line Sample up on the right side constantly to give Hart help instead of on the left to help Adeniji. If they can land in Free Agency a RT able to play on an island that is an immediate upgrade as it also lets us use our TE more as a FB or a receiver and not strictly inline like now.

At Guard Spain and XSF were adequate starters (and finally having them both was a major factor in the line improving). That said, we obviously need more Guards as MJ needs to be cut in the worst way. Price is a Center as is Hopkins so we need probably two new Guards.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2021, 04:19 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: He says they are expected to 'cut Bobby Hart at some point' and he also thinks they won't bring Finney back, so that will clear up an additional 9m in cap space.

He says they want to bring back Spain, if possible...are hoping Pollack can 'elicit more out of Michael Jordan'...and he sees XSF as being a 'serviceable piece'.

He thinks that RT will be the starting point when comes to the o-line, and that RT Taylor Moton is the guy they may 'open up the wallet' for...with Buffalo's Daryl Williams being the 2nd option. They could also wait and try to land Sewell or Slater in the draft.

At G, he mentions how much guys like Thuney and Scherff would command, with both on tap to get huge deals. He mentions scanning the 2nd and 3rd wave of FA guards like Pittsburgh’s Matt Feiler, Buffalo’s Jon Feliciano, Chicago’s Germain Ifiedi, or a potential cap casualty like maybe Gabe Jackson from LV.

As he points out, they are definitely going to have some options when it comes to bolstering the line and making sure Burrow is better protected going forward.

https://theathletic.com/2321179/2021/01/19/will-cincinnati-bengals-invest-in-offensive-line-inside-the-decision-of-the-offseason/

I'll wait with a pessimistic attitude with them beefing up the OL with proven players. I see Version 2 of this past year and half ass signings with the "we're close" attitude...

Until they prove me wrong with the dim witted decision making I'll go by the track record.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2021, 04:25 PM)Benton Wrote: I like what I'm hearing so far.

Hart was horrible. He shouldn't have been out there sidestepping attackers. I like Spain and xsf.

As far as free agents, I doubt we go after a big one, but I like feliciano. The biggest issue, I think, is going to be tackle. Jonah can't stay healthy so we are going to have to get at least one of the top ones in the draft and we'll still need to add some depth for when jonah goes down.

Hart was not horrible....he actually played better than Spain or XSF ... 
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2021, 05:31 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Moton is likely staying in Carolina. Don't see them getting a QB in the first round (which I think is on the table for them) and then letting their OL leave.

I can see Moton walking with a 15m price tag especially considering they have 8m in cap space for 2021 as of right now and no way of make easy cap space. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-19-2021, 05:55 PM)Synric Wrote: I can see Moton walking with a 15m price tag especially considering they have 8m in cap space for 2021 as of right now and no way of make easy cap space. 

Plenty of ways to make easy cap space.

Kawann Short is almost a guaranteed cut. He'll be 32, has only played 5 games the last 2 years, and saves $9.8m by being cut.

Stephen Weatherly is probably also gone as a backup who got his first chance to start, got 0 sacks and 1 TFL in 9 games, and will save another $6m.

Bam, there you go. $15.8m saved, basically 0 production lost.

Reply/Quote
(01-19-2021, 05:22 PM)J24 Wrote: Honestly Paul sounds like a national media guy that says what the Bengals should do instead of what the Bengals will do.
In all honesty I just don't see the Bengals cutting Hart( they should) after his best year as a starter. The front office has stuck through him when he has been laughably bad but now I'm supposed to believe they will cut him now?
Also they need two starting Guards. My prediction is they sign starter who is cut this off-season and draft a guy in the 2nd or third to start come September.
I could see them addressing RT in the draft but the guy won't be given starting position unless it's Sewell.

This is about the same take I've got, and the feeling I've had since the season ended.  I don't see them making a big splash in FA for OL this year.  And I don't see them making it a major target in the draft, either.  I can see them drafting a guy (or two, with one being a later round chance) and picking up a guy in FA for depth.  But I just don't see them going after a starting line-up this offseason.  They've made too many comments about being close, and having guys they can work with on the line.  That added to the history of what they've done/how they've valued OL (and how they are convinced they can keep coaching up the guys they have), and I just don't see it suddenly becoming their focus because they changed out their OL coach.  

I'd love to see them open the wallet, but I just don't.  And here's where it grinds my gears:  This isn't a team in rebuild mode.  Rebuild is where you have a definitive 2-3 plan.  This is what it should have been when Taylor was hired, and you put the foundation in place.  Once you bring in the guy who's supposed to be your franchise QB, the clock is ticking and you can't play the rebuild game by developing draft picks over 2 seasons.  You'll have lost most of the QB's rookie contract at that point.  They didn't put the foundational pieces in already, and with a likely strategy of not going big on the trenches in FA this year, they're just wasting time.  

But boy, I'd love for the org to prove me wrong!! 
Reply/Quote
This draft has some serious G and OT talent. Although I am not anxious to use a first round pick on anyone other than Sewell, they need to come out of this draft with a candidate for RT, and a candidate for RG. They can use Spain/XSF at LG and the other serve as quality depth. If Hart is cut, I would assume the majority of that money would go to a FA RT. There are quite a few guards that could be available in the 3rd round to fill the hole at RG.

If they get a guy like Moton before the draft and Sewell falls to them at 5, I still take him and put Jonah at LG. Then you really don't need much more to address the offensive line, as XSF and Spain could battle it out for RG. That, or get nice haul of picks from a team that really covets Sewell. If I could come out of FA with just Moton (and re-sign Lawson, WJIII, and Alexander) then go add a guy like Chase, Barmore, and a C like Josh Myers (remember, Hopkins could always be the RG) then I would be more than happy.
Reply/Quote
Moton would be an amazing addition, but this still sounds like business as usual as far as them not wanting to pay top OG money. Which is extremely concerning.

If Michael Jordan is starting week one then they are not serious about protecting Joe Burrow, and in my eyes nothing will have changed.

Reply/Quote
Taylor Moton would be a great addition. Move Jonah to guard (if he's even healthy) and draft a tackle in the first or second round..

Speaking of our OLine and health issues, I think we need to draft Landon Dickerson, the center out of Alabama. Who knows when or if Hopkins returns in 2021. I don't want to start the year with Billy Price under center.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2021, 04:19 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: He says they are expected to 'cut Bobby Hart at some point' and he also thinks they won't bring Finney back, so that will clear up an additional 9m in cap space.

Moton and happy he mentioned him first. Would be a fantastic grab for us.
Reply/Quote
Trotting Jordan out there again would be criminal. He's absolutely outclassed against NFl d-linemen at the moment. The only talk of him should be about getting him into the weight room for a year and seeing if he can add some grown-man strength. He damn well better not be the starter anywhere.
Reply/Quote
Shaping up to be a rough 2nd year for Joe.
Reply/Quote