Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SHRacerX Mock 9.0 2021, FA, No Trades, Complete picture
Ok, every time I have created a thread about a mock, there is always feedback about " that guy won't be there", etc.  I used Fanspeak and their big board was updated Tuesday.  If I saw someone that I knew in reality wouldn't be there, I didn't take them.  Trying to make it as feasible as possible.

I have included FA in this as a "big picture" view on where I hope the team addresses their talent.

Here goes:

FA:

Release:  Bobby Hart, Geno Atkins

Sign Carl Lawson, 4 years, 55 million
Sign WJIII;  4 years, 50 million
Sign Mackenzie Alexander;  3 years, $18 million
Sign Joe Thuney; 5 yrs, 50 million (I know that is below Market target of $14 per year, but I think the FA market overall will decline and I don't see many teams paying that for a Guard.  If the Bengals guaranteed $35 million of this contract, that isn't too far off the $40 million guaranteed from Zack Martin's deal (which he will likely never see the end of).
Sign Soloman Thomas;  3yrs, 15 million.  He was moved outside, which was a mistake.  The 49ers spent their first pick last year on an interior defensive linemen and that is leaving Thomas as the odd man out.  He would be a nice option next to Reader here.  

That helps to dictate this draft:

R1 P5 OT Penei Sewell - Oregon:  He plays LT in my mind.  Move Jonah to RT and we have bookend tackles.

R2 P6 OT Rashawn Slater - Northwestern;  I wasn't entirely surprised to see him still there as he is in a fairly deep OT class, but I am drafting him to play guard.  Has great position versatility.  With an offensive line that goes:  Sewell-Thuney-Hopkins/Price-Slater-Williams, the Bengals go from one of the worst lines in the league to what could be the one of the best.  

R3 P5 WR Anthony Schwartz - Auburn:  Speedy option that can get open quickly and can help take the top off the defense.  John Ross with better hands and focus.

R4 P6 EDGE Rashad Weaver - Pitt:  Aggressive and quick, he creates relentless pressure from the edge.  

R5 P5 CB Deommodore Lenoir - Oregon:  Smooth and confident, always left on an island and rarely lost.  

R6 P6 S James Wiggins - Cincinnati:  Simply put, a bad man.  Tough as nails and great instincts.  

R7 P5 DL Lorenzo Neal - Purdue:  Plays a little out of control sometimes, but has a great motor and some good pass rushing tools.  

R7 P7 K Riley Patterson - Memphis:  He's not Fat Randy

You may scoff at three straight offensive selections, but the defensive talent simply wasn't there unless I wanted to reach for a guy in the third round, and I love what Schwartz brings to the offense.  This is a no excuses draft.  They have an outstanding secondary, solid young LBs, and the return of Reader, Tupou, and Wren,  with additions of Thomas and Weaver would greatly improve the trench on the defensive side of the field.  This offense would be ready to roll.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2021, 01:14 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Ok, every time I have created a thread about a mock, there is always feedback about " that guy won't be there", etc.  I used Fanspeak and their big board was updated Tuesday.  If I saw someone that I knew in reality wouldn't be there, I didn't take them.  Trying to make it as feasible as possible.

I have included FA in this as a "big picture" view on where I hope the team addresses their talent.

Here goes:

FA:

Sign Joe Thuney; 5 yrs, 50 million (I know that is below Market target of $14 per year, but I think the FA market overall will decline and I don't see many teams paying that for a Guard.  If the Bengals guaranteed $35 million of this contract, that isn't too far off the $40 million guaranteed from Zack Martin's deal (which he will likely never see the end of).
Sign Soloman Thomas;  3yrs, 15 million.  He was moved outside, which was a mistake.  The 49ers spent their first pick last year on an interior defensive linemen and that is leaving Thomas as the odd man out.  He would be a nice option next to Reader here.  

R1 P5 OT Penei Sewell - Oregon:  He plays LT in my mind.  Move Jonah to RT and we have bookend tackles.

R2 P6 OT Rashawn Slater - Northwestern;  I wasn't entirely surprised to see him still there as he is in a fairly deep OT class, but I am drafting him to play guard.  Has great position versatility.  With an offensive line that goes:  Sewell-Thuney-Hopkins/Price-Slater-Williams, the Bengals go from one of the worst lines in the league to what could be the one of the best.  

R3 P5 WR Anthony Schwartz - Auburn:  Speedy option that can get open quickly and can help take the top off the defense.  John Ross with better hands and focus.

R4 P6 EDGE Rashad Weaver - Pitt:  Aggressive and quick, he creates relentless pressure from the edge.  

R5 P5 CB Deommodore Lenoir - Oregon:  Smooth and confident, always left on an island and rarely lost.  

R6 P6 S James Wiggins - Cincinnati:  Simply put, a bad man.  Tough as nails and great instincts.  

R7 P5 DL Lorenzo Neal - Purdue:  Plays a little out of control sometimes, but has a great motor and some good pass rushing tools.  

You may scoff at three straight offensive selections, but the defensive talent simply wasn't there unless I wanted to reach for a guy in the third round, and I love what Schwartz brings to the offense.  This is a no excuses draft.  They have an outstanding secondary, solid young LBs, and the return of Reader, Tupou, and Wren,  with additions of Thomas and Weaver would greatly improve the trench on the defensive side of the field.

If it happened, I'd be over the moon.

With the free agents, what is the projected cap space following those moves?
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2021, 01:29 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: If it happened, I'd be over the moon.

With the free agents, what is the projected cap space following those moves?

The cap isn't set so it is (admittedly) on the aggressive side.  I am hearing that they may allow up to 195 million and spread out the "loss" over the past year over many future years but honestly, at this point (as much as I hate to say it) I am not sure if there will be the normal fans in the stands in 2021.

I don't want to part ways with Gio, and I am obviously not bringing back the likes of Green, Ross, Williams, and many others but might have to part with (at least his current contract) a CJ Uzomah.  

One thing is for certain:  I am not going halfway again while Burrow is on his rookie deal.  I am going all-in for NEXT SEASON.  This plan would set them for some time to come and once a strong contender is in place, they would have to allow some key players to be replaced by draft picks as Burrow's next contract is likely to be massive. 
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2021, 02:03 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: The cap isn't set so it is (admittedly) on the aggressive side.  I am hearing that they may allow up to 195 million and spread out the "loss" over the past year over many future years but honestly, at this point (as much as I hate to say it) I am not sure if there will be the normal fans in the stands in 2021.

I don't want to part ways with Gio, and I am obviously not bringing back the likes of Green, Ross, Williams, and many others but might have to part with (at least his current contract) a CJ Uzomah.  

One thing is for certain:  I am not going halfway again while Burrow is on his rookie deal.  I am going all-in for NEXT SEASON.  This plan would set them for some time to come and once a strong contender is in place, they would have to allow some key players to be replaced by draft picks as Burrow's next contract is likely to be massive. 

I definitely am on your side of going aggressive in free agency. I really hope Mike releases the money necessary to do that. We currently have the 5th most estimated cap space in the NFL, so there's no doubt we could outbid people if we were so inclined. I like the idea of keeping Lawson and WJIII and still making 1 more splash signing in free agency to improve our Oline. 
Reply/Quote
I applaud your efforts. I could almost be very excited about this scenario. It’s the resigning our guys where I pause.

Our defense hasn’t been so good with Lawson and Jackson. I get Lawson has the pressure numbers, and they are important. But those aren’t sacks. And I really thought Jackson was going to be in the top 5 shutdown corner conversation. He hasn’t made it there.

Hate to be “that” guy but I doubt slater is there in 2. But that offensive line would do wonders for both sides of the ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
I love it but it's a dream come true scenario and not likely to happen.
Reply/Quote
Really like this.

But, no chance the guy that some consider the #1 OT in the draft is there in round 2.
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2021, 02:56 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: I applaud your efforts.  I could almost be very excited about this scenario.  It’s the resigning our guys where I pause.

Our defense hasn’t been so good with Lawson and Jackson.  I get Lawson has the pressure numbers, and they are important.  But those aren’t sacks.  And I really thought Jackson was going to be in the top 5 shutdown corner conversation.  He hasn’t made it there.  

Hate to be “that” guy but I doubt slater is there in 2.  But that offensive line would do wonders for both sides of the ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I try to look at the defense with an objective eye.  It isn't easy as the defense never really showed a complete effort, with the exception possibly being the MNF against the steelers where they played like their hair was on fire.  

If you look at early in the season, the offense was lumping along and having a lot of three and outs.  They couldn't establish any semblance of a rushing attack and Burrow was forced in to situations where he was facing a lot of teams unleashing the hounds on third and long.  Talk about baptism by fire.  

The offense started to hit its stride around week 4 with solid performances against quality defenses in Indy, Cleveland, and Tennessee.  

Then, right as the defense started to gel, Burrow goes down with an injury. The defense was playing better against WFT, NYG, Miami, and Dallas,  but a pathetic offense and turnovers doomed them.  

What concerns me the most about the defense is that they never seemed to have an answer to the rushing attack.  How much of that can I blame on the loss of Reader, Wren, Tupou, Daniels (who only played 4 games), and an ineffective Geno Atkins?  Some, for sure.  But it is still a big concern.  And that is where I believe the problem lies is with the defensive line.  Depth of starting talent is paper-thin, and the depth was tested (as it always seems to be) throughout the season with injuries.  

The LB play was what I would call encouraging.  Bynes did exactly what he was supposed to do, but he simply doesn't have the speed to help contain the rush outside.  It seemed to me that teams didn't always pound the Bengals up the middle, but usually outside and the DEs would lose contain.  The overall scheme by the Bengals seemed to be one we are very familiar with as it was the M.O. for Breshnahan, and seemingly every defensive coordinator outside of Zimmer:  Don't give up a big play.  I absolutely hate that.  It is like they think the QB play is still like it was in 2005 when each NFC North QB threw 5 INTs against the "drop and cover" defense of the Bengals.  Teams simply aren't that careless with the ball any more.  The defense always seems to bleed to death by paper cuts.  And it is almost always through high % plays underneath, rarely deep passes, which are harder to complete.  

I look at Vonn Bell's play by the end of the year and think he really started to become an impact player.  I don't entirely blame him for his slow start.  Everyone thought he would be used like an extra LB, but that isn't what I saw at all.  We took a square peg and forced it in to a round hole and make him a coverage guy.  Luckily, he started to get it and became a solid player by year's end.  

Probably the single greatest issue I had with the defense in 2020 was the play of what was supposed to be their two best players on that side of the ball.  I don't care what he did after he left here, but Dunlap completely quit on this team.  Atkins was ineffective.  On top of that, Dunlap became a side-show cancer.  Let's be honest, the team wasn't going anywhere this year and it would not have made them a playoff team had these two been at their best, but it was a tremendous letdown in terms of attitude and performance.  

I was hoping for more of ADG, but he seemed to show a bit at the end of the season, and if there was a bright spot to 2020 as the Bengals go, it was the emergence of Higgins, Wilson, ADG, Kareem, and Adeniji.  Only Bailey didn't get valuable experience out there this year, and all showed flashes that said they absolutely belong.  I think a lot of Bengals fans expect rookies to come in and be great from their first snap, but that is very rare.  I have really high hopes for Wilson, Kareem, and Adeniji....and I still believe Bailey could end up becoming a key player.  

So where do we go from here?  Well, I look at the defense as having one glaring weakness:  pass rush.  That doesn't mean we only need a speed option from the outside (wish they would give ADG a shot here, that was his best attribute in college) but also a penetrator from the inside a la an Atkins in his prime.  I would hope two of the first four picks are used in this manner.  I doubt they will invest more in terms of FA than they already have.  Oh, and I am counting on Lawson, WJIII, and Alexander being retained for that to be the draft focus.  
Reply/Quote
Sewell-Thuney-Hopkins/Price-Slater-Williams?

Live look at Joe Burrow after that...

[Image: 70270116.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2021, 01:14 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Ok, every time I have created a thread about a mock, there is always feedback about " that guy won't be there", etc.  I used Fanspeak and their big board was updated Tuesday.  If I saw someone that I knew in reality wouldn't be there, I didn't take them.  Trying to make it as feasible as possible.

Here goes:

FA:

You may scoff at three straight offensive selections, but the defensive talent simply wasn't there unless I wanted to reach for a guy in the third round, and I love what Schwartz brings to the offense.  This is a no excuses draft.  They have an outstanding secondary, solid young LBs, and the return of Reader, Tupou, and Wren,  with additions of Thomas and Weaver would greatly improve the trench on the defensive side of the field.  This offense would be ready to roll.  

Bengals current projected cap with rollover - $35 mil.
Cutting Hart and Atkins = +$15.5 mill, bringing total cap to $50.5 mill.
FAs added going off APY - $47.25 mill.
Cap minus just the FAs you listed = $3.25 mill before the draft.

The Bengals will not be able to get all those guys plus sign all their draft picks. Draft picks alone will prolly cost $8+ mill. 
Gotta cut more.

In regards to the draft, I'd really like it if it played out that way.

EDIT - Obviously the official 2021 league cap is not finalized. If it ends up being $185+ mill, it would make this more achievable.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

Here goes:

FA:

First thanks for the time and effort. 
Bengals have to make a LB move with your FAioutlook, they have to replace Bynes and as a whole the young LB was below avg  this year.  I will be shocked if we sign one big FA tackle and then draft 2 in first 2 rounds, I give that 10% chance.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2021, 01:52 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Bengals current projected cap with rollover - $35 mil.
Cutting Hart and Atkins = +$15.5 mill, bringing total cap to $50.5 mill.
FAs added going off APY - $47.25 mill.
Cap minus just the FAs you listed = $3.25 mill before the draft.

The Bengals will not be able to get all those guys plus sign all their draft picks. Draft picks alone will prolly cost $8+ mill. 
Gotta cut more.

In regards to the draft, I'd really like it if it played out that way.

EDIT - Obviously the official 2021 league cap is not finalized. If it ends up being $185+ mill, it would make this more achievable.

I think it will end up being closer to 190 million, but the numbers are pretty close to making this work.  
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2021, 10:00 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: First thanks for the time and effort. 
Bengals have to make a LB move with your FAioutlook, they have to replace Bynes and as a whole the young LB was below avg  this year.  I will be shocked if we sign one big FA tackle and then draft 2 in first 2 rounds, I give that 10% chance.

Thuney isn't a tackle, he is a guard, but can play all 5 (hint, hint...center for a few weeks?) positions on the line.  As far as the LBs go, they will look much better with better defensive line play (the secondary can say the same thing) and I am ready to roll with Wilson and Pratt in nickel and add ADG when they go in to base.  Bailey is first off the bench and might take a spot from ADG once he has a full camp and preseason under his belt. 

The reason I selected two OTs in the first two rounds is because Slater was there.  I forget who, but someone just came out with their top 100 players and I think he had Slater at #8.  He will get pushed back a bit because I think a lot of NFL teams will see him as a guard, and that is where I would put him on this team. 

If the Bengals left the first two picks with Sewell and Slater, and acquired Thuney as a Guard in FA, the Bengals would be set on the offensive line for years to come.  
Reply/Quote
I would think Wiggins has to be up there when it comes to safety rankings. Would love to get him.
Reply/Quote
I like some of the moves, I see us doing something like this:

Cuts:
1) B.Hart-5.9
2) G.Atkins- 9.6
3) R.Finley- 1.05
4) BJ Finney-3.5
5) M.Jordan- .975

-total @21 million

Outside Free Agents:

1) Austin Reiter-C (Chiefs)
2) Matt Feiler-RT/G (Steelers)
3) Keelan Cole-WR (Jags)
4) TJ Carrie- CB (Colts)
5) Dewaune Smoot-DE (Jags)
-these moves shore up weaknesses heading into the draft, still allowing us to draft BPA

re-signs:
1) C.Lawson
2) K.Huber
3) C.Harris
4) B.Wilson
5) Q.Spain
6) M.Alexander
7) M.Thomas-ST

Draft; (PFN Mock Simulator)

1) Penai Sewell-LT
2) Carlos Basham-DE
3) Deonte Brown-G