Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kyle Pitts is AJ Green as a tight end.
(02-11-2021, 08:21 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: In that situation, you trade down since their will be QBs available and pick up an extra 2nd round pick.

Then you take Christian Darrisaw or Slater to play T and use the extra 2nd rounder to get a weapon.

Like I showed you above, actual generational talents at TE, were all 2nd and 3rd round guys.

1st round TE's lately:

2020 - none
2019- Noah Fant (not really generational, but good), T.J. Hockenson (who was bad year one, but came on this year strong)
2018 - Hayden Hurst, who has already been traded,
2017 - O.J. Howard (2nd on the depth behind Brate still), Evan Engram (Stone hands Engram)
2016 - none
2015 - none
2014 - Eric Ebron (nothing special)
2013 - Mr Glass Tyler Eifert

2nd or 3rd Round TE's

2020 - Cole Kmet 
2019 - Irv Smith Jr (Very solid above average TE), Dawson Knox (Important weapon in Buffalo's offense)
2018 - Mike Gesicki (monster TE who killed us), Dallas Goedert (Who is replacing Zach Ertz and has great numbers)
2017 - Gerald Everett
2016 - Hunter Henry (stud), Austin Hooper (2 time Pro-Bowler)
2015 - Tyler Kroft and a few like him... not a deep class
2014 - Richard Rodgers and a lot of guys who are retired. 
2013 - Zach Ertz (Pro Bowler), Travis Kelce (Pro Bowler), Jordan Reed (Pro Bowler)

I'm just not seeing anything in recent years that justifies wasting a top 5 pick on a TE. If you move back and get him at 13 or 14 and get a bunch of other picks, I might be more on-board but look at the list of first round TE's and tell me which of them would be good value at pick 5? And several of them had the same hype as Pitts. Every year the scouts call this QB or this WR or this TE "generational" and honestly, how often do they really prove to be that?

Example, Eifert was "generational" when we took him, and... injured and unavailable. Meanwhile, the guys after him, Ertz and Kelce are in fact the guys changing the TE position.

While I don't disagree with you that TEs can be found after Rd 1 (as you indicate, plenty have), you make it sound like the 1st round TEs are terrible and so many of the guys after are great.

Irv Smith - 311 yards, 2 TDs in 2019. 365 yards, 5 TDs in 2020. I wouldn't call him a "very solid above average TE." That's Drew Sample production.
Dawson Knox - 388 yards, 2 TDs in 2019. 288 yards, 3 TDs in 2020. Again, not very good either. He had some good catches, but he's not a featured member of that offense.
Cole Kmet - 243 yards, 2 TDs. That's worse than Sample.

On the flip side...
Hockenson - 367 yards, 2 TDs as a rookie, 723 yards, 6 TDs in 2020. Hockenson had more production in his 2020 season alone than Smith and Knox have had in two years.
Fant - 562, 3 as a rookie. 673, 3 in 2020. Yet again, way more productive than Smith, Knox, or Kmet.

OJ Howard has been plagued with the injury bug like Eifert, but he's been productive when healthy.
1602 yards and 14 TDs in 42 games is solid. But Howard was more raw coming out of college compared to a guy like Pitts, but he went in the 1st round because of his elite profile. 

Hurst should not have gone in 1st round. My favorite TE in that draft class was Mark Andrews. I really wanted him in Rd 2 or 3. 

Day 2 has been the gem of TEs in recent years, but they all had their flaws coming into the draft, which is why they didn't go in the 1st. Whether it be lack of production, non-elite speed, lack of height, played at a small school/conference, whatever. Pitts is considered so high because he checks off all the boxes for what you would want in a TE in the 1st round. Size, speed, athleticism, high profile school and conference, proven dominant production.

If I was to put money on any TE in this upcoming draft class to become good aside from Pitts, I'd only consider Freiermuth or Brevin Jordan. I think both go in Rd 2. Tre McKitty might become something, but I can easily see him not. He's a perfect early Rd 4 pick.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Kyle Pitts is AJ Green as a tight end. - ochocincos - 02-12-2021, 11:18 AM