Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Pete Rose story
(02-17-2021, 01:07 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: That's a great story, thanks for sharing!  I think that these days a good portion of the public is so caught up in the HOF discussion that it's easy to forget about the "person".  And say what you will about his choices in life, he's passionate about the game, loves it completely, and everything I've ever seen is that it brings him so much joy to see other people love the game as much as he does.

Exactly

And that's the thing that's lost to the (I call them play station kids) of today. They show all these stats and how Pete doesn't stack up against the juiced ball, juiced bodies that came after his time. I just laugh 

Pete played the game at 110% all the time It didn't matter about the score, the inning, the point in the season, the record, he never let up. Johnny Bench's quote about him was along the lines of "Pete would run through a fire in a gasoline suit to play baseball".

At riverfront during a day game 76 maybe ? I was like 11 my uncle got all of us seats in first row right on 3rd base. A pop foul was hit coming right at us. Pete ran over, it went behind us few rows out of play, but Charlie hustle was right in my face. He smiled at me and turned and jogged back to 3rd. I was beside myself for several seconds !

Pete is among the best to ever play the game.....period.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: My Pete Rose story - MileHighGrowler - 02-17-2021, 01:07 PM
RE: My Pete Rose story - bengalfan74 - 02-18-2021, 11:37 AM
RE: My Pete Rose story - grampahol - 02-17-2021, 08:34 PM
RE: My Pete Rose story - grampahol - 02-22-2021, 11:59 PM