Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Walking Dead Thread ***SPOILERS***
(04-04-2016, 04:37 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: True, but the cliffhanger wasn't really necessary - most people assume it was Glenn, or from what I'm seeing most don't seem to really care and aren't going to lose any sleep over it.

My suspicion is it gave them time to decide if it will be Glenn or Daryl.  Norman Reedus has other projects and appears to be making the leap to the big screen.  His days on the show are definitely numbered, and if not now then they'll have to create a similarly impactful death for a character not in the comics.

On the other hand, since Daryl isn't in the comics it's a chance for a truly surprising and shocking death.  But they ruined that dramatic moment if they open next season and it's "look, there's Daryl laying on the ground".

Just saying, it seems most people's reaction is it was more "gotchya!" than dramatic.  The writers claim they will do it justice, but my expectation is the reveal will be totally anti-climactic, ESPECIALLY if it is Glenn.  Seems like the hard-core fans are comic readers, and if they try to re-ignite the drama only to reveal Glenn, I think it will piss-off a lot of diehard fans.  

Hmmmm, I think I just made a strong case that it's not Glenn.  Except I've been wrong before giving the writers too much credit, and no reason to think that will change now.

I just don't get the outrage (from all) about the cliffhanger. The whole point about dragging out the last few episodes is that it was leading to the introduction of Negan. Especially the finale. I was sitting there thinking...'this is unnecessary. take a road, it's blocked by Negan's people. Take another road...it's blocke by Negan's people. Take another road...it's...yep, you guessed it...blocked by Negan's people.' But the whole point was to show their strength. They started off with a completely non-threatening group of a few guys. Then...more...then...even more. It was a build up to show the strength of their group; as i said in the previous post, Rick and his group were overconfident and they were slowly, emotionally broken down to the point they were at when they were on their knees. 

That's Negan's whole thing. He's a sociopath. He likes ***** with people for his own pleasure. Sometimes he'll roll with force and sometimes he'll toy with people/groups. But he's intelligent so he doesn't go rushing into things like Rick does without knowing what he's doing. That's why he keeps his people separated and does things like having drops at a satellite location. Tactical, calculated. 

People are too focused on who it is that dies and what has been done leading up to it. It's going to be Glenn, Darryl or Abraham, partly for shock value (what little is left) and mostly to shake Rick's confidence, to break him and make him fall into line. From there is where the story telling comes in; how he's able to overcome that and *************SPOILER ALERT***************organize the surrounding communities to overthrow him, regaining his confidence and leadership. *************END SPOILER***************

I'm not going to lie. My feelings about this thread mirror a lot of people's feelings about the show lately. Focusing on the micro and bitching about what a terrible pile of shit it's become because the focus is misguided. But i'm a sucker for punishment, so i keep making an effort to try and get people to focus more on the macro. Not necessarily the big picture, but at least the current arc (the one it's currently leading into). 

If people don't like the writing, it's more likely because they've read the comics and it's not quite living up to their expectations. But it rarely does because with the comics--as with books--you get the benefit of your imagination to enhance the plot/drama/characters. In some cases, it's because it is bad writing. But my opinion is, in most cases, it's because there are too many wanna-be writers/film snobs that want to get their opinion out there about how they could do it much better. 

In any event, with all that said, this thread sucks now because so much of the focus is on talking about how terrible this or that is, so i'll just say "**** it" and throw up some rants on how film snobs are ruining the world. 

P.S. In regards to your opening, i get your point but i don't think the writers can assume that a majority of people watching the show are familiar with the comics. It is somewhat insulting to people in the know, but to the average fan that just watches the show, it's dramatic effect (that's been used millions of times before of course) that gives fans something to debate about over the summer.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Walking Dead Thread - Benton - 10-19-2015, 05:03 PM
RE: Walking Dead Thread - BmorePat87 - 10-19-2015, 07:14 PM
RE: Walking Dead Thread - Benton - 10-20-2015, 10:47 AM
RE: Walking Dead Thread - Nebuchadnezzar - 10-19-2015, 11:49 PM
RE: Walking Dead Thread ***SPOILERS*** - rfaulk34 - 04-05-2016, 03:41 AM