Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trade options on draft day with QB needy teams
(02-21-2021, 02:35 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Very interesting discussion because there are so many possibilities.  I remember when Detroit was picking #3 overall and everyone saw them as prime candidates to trade with, only the offers never came.  

What makes the #5 pick so intriguing is if the teams ahead of us take both Sewell and Chase (shit!), then there will be a QB that someone really wants at #5.  Denver is without Elway now, and I think they will go all-in on a QB.  But, as to your point, so could Carolina and SF.  

Let's address them in order, shall we?

Denver:  They want the QB, and they have a lot of picks, but not that much early in the draft.  Lots of middle round picks.  So, maybe they are willing to also give their 2nd round pick with #9 to get our #5.  I would take that (assuming Chase and Sewell are gone).  The Bengals could get their WR like Waddle and have two early 2nds to get their DT and OT.  Frankly, I don't take the trade for their first and a third.  

Carolina:  Honestly, they are in a shitty situation.  Denver will probably be in a position to offer more (their 2nd rounder) because they have so many middle round picks.  However, if they are willing to offer what Denver did, it is better by one pick in each round and I accept.

SF:  This would have to involve a player.  I am not going to slide 7 spots at the top of Rd 1 without an impact player at a position we need.  Not sure the cap position of the 49ers, but that is the only way I could see that happening...sliding all the way to #12.  

NE:  I see them as the least likely team to trade up, and would actually wager they will trade back if offered.  They have cap space and they value picks more than seemingly any team.  I could see them sliding and building up a bunch of young talent on the cheap.  They could slide back in Rd 1 and end up with a QB like Trask and make him a very good QB.  Don't see them as much of a factor for the Bengals being offered a trade at all.

Between all of them, unless SF came through with an interesting quality starter in trade, Carolina is our best bet.  With the Eagles and Lions in QB paradoxes, they might need to be aggressive to get their future guy.  

Good point with SF, I would do this:

Bengals trade #5

49ers trade: 12, 43 and Laken Tomlinson(G) is due 6.5 million on last year of contract, fills a needed hole rather cheap on oline, allows us to groom a draft pick(G/C)  and focus on acquiring a tackle first 2 rounds.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Trade options on draft day with QB needy teams - schroomytunes - 02-21-2021, 03:46 PM